What's new

In Words, Could You Describe Your Lathering Process (with Shave Cream)?

-I try to gently run just the tip of the bristles of my brush over the dollop of cream, but here's where things start to go south.

-I vigorously swirl the brush around the inside of the mug. I focus more on counter-clockwise than clockwise, because I swirl A LOT faster counter-clockwise than I do clockwise.

At this point, add some water, a teaspoon or less, and keep whipping.

-Over the course of the next 20 seconds, I swirl some more and I start to push the head of the brush down to spread the bristles of the brush out just a tad (I believe this is what you guys call "pumping"...correct me if I'm wrong on that). NOTE: The bottom of the latte' mug can still be clearly seen and the lather does not appear to be building or getting ANY thicker AT ALL. I start to get REALLY frustrated and confused and start picturing in my head the image of going back to cartridge and canned goo shaving with my Gillette Fusion products, but remember that I don't want to go back to that, since I would like to master this wet-shaving stuff so I can frickin' enjoy it, because since I've started, it's been more of a chore than the canned goo process ever was!

Add a little more water again. No more than a teaspoon.
It sounds like you are very close, just lacking a little water...

I recommend sticking with the C.O. Bigelow, it's easy to lather, and sticking with one product will help you eliminate variables.

After that third 20-second incriment is when I get a gut feeling that I should be starting to see my lather REALLY starting to look like a bowl full of Cool-Whip or Reddi-Whip, but it's not even REMOTELY close, as you can still clearly see the bottom of the latte' mug and there is no depth to the lather whatsoever. (For example, if I stick my index finger down directly into the center of the bowl, the lather doesn't even cover my finger tip. I could swipe my finger across the bottom of the bowl and wipe the lather away with that one swipe.

That's where we'll stop for now. So, to me, it sounds like I might actually have the very beginning stages squared away, but just need to figure out how to get to the point where that latte' mug is FILLED, I mean FILLED with lather that looks like a bowl full of Cool-Whip.

At this point is it shiny or matte?

Going by what you just wrote in the previous post, I would say that it is probably matte.
Add a FEW DROPS of water, and continue to swirl.

You are looking for shiny, glossy lather.
If doesn't come after 20-30 seconds , add a FEW MORE DROPS of water and repeat until it is shiny, glossy, and has "peaks" in the lather.

Done

No, it's not shiny. In fac, at this point, you can see more of the bottom of the latte' mug than you can see of lather residue.

The other problem that this is causing, Gentlemen...is that so much of my lather either goes up into my brush in the building stage or disappears from the bowl because it evaporates, that I get enough lather for my first pass, but then the bowl is COMPLETELY EMPTY and bone dry of lather by the time I even make it to the second pass.

That's why I confirmed what Noebie guessed...that I'm looking to build a Cool-Whip Bowl full of lather.

I recommend sticking with the C.O. Bigelow, it's easy to lather, and sticking with one product will help you eliminate variables.

I'll try this, but I'm worried that adding that much water will, yet again, destroy the lather.

Start with a wetter brush, or add small amounts of water as you whip.
Your mixture is starving for water.

Yup, I agree it's lack of water that's giving you fits. If you don't trust yourself not to overdo by adding water straight to the bowl, try this: run hot water in the sink and when it's time to add, take your brush and just lightly dip the tips. Then return to the bowl. You'll pick up less water that way so you'll be less likely to drown your lather.

Ok, I think we're making progress here! I just tried this and the lather has started to become a little more "fluffy"/creamy with this routine, but a good portion of the lather still evaporates if I let it sit for a few minutes and then, before you know it, I can see the bottom of the latte' mug again. But I do see the lather starting to get a little more shiny in the whipping process. Not too much, but a little bit.

My big problems I'm still having though:

1. Some of the lather is still evaporating/disappearing and the bottom of the latte' mug is reappearing.

2. When I swirl the brush on my face, that lather still seems to be a bit thin and a little bubbly. If I "paint" it on my face, it looks good. If I swirl, it looks WAY too thin.

Also, I did 1 tsp of water, no more. Is even 1 tsp too much? Should I add 1/2 tsp each time?

...all of the lather is up inside my brush and not in the latte' mug where it's supposed to be.

dude - it's supposed to be in the brush - that's how it gets on your face

re-reading your posts, it does sound like not enough water though

thoroughly soaking the brush for starters for several minutes and then gently shaking out the excess before you begin might help

If you're starting with a pretty dry brush, I'd say 1 tsp isn't enough. It's truly surprising how much water I was able to add to C.O. Bigelow cream before it went bad.

I know you say you've seen the Mantic59 video on youtube, but have you seen the one called "The Art of Lathering"? In it, he starts with 0 water and adds water until he ruins the cream, showing how it looks in the mug and on the brush at each step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVxXvv_8yk

So, am I even REMOTELY getting close to conquering this b*tch of a lathering problem or am I still a LOOOONG ways away?

And how can I still build a good lather with using less shave cream? I'm using about a quarter-size dollop now. How do I build a good lather with just a dime-size dollop?

If you're starting with a pretty dry brush, I'd say 1 tsp isn't enough. It's truly surprising how much water I was able to add to C.O. Bigelow cream before it went bad.

In my detail of my process above, I add at least two teaspoons of water to the mix, and then start with a wet face as well. If you are not going to thoroughly wet your face, prior to adding the lather, I bet you could even add a 3rd teaspoon of water to the lather, as my lather becomes richer on my face as I work the additional water into it.

I also fully agree, that C.O. Bigelow/ Proraso will soak up a boatload of water before it reaches the "ruined" point.

Ok, but again...

Am I even REMOTELY close to tackling this "How to Lather" best and building good lather consistently or do I still have a LOOOOOOOONG way to go?

Ok, but again...

Am I even REMOTELY close to tackling this "How to Lather" best and building good lather consistently or do I still have a LOOOOOOOONG way to go?

You're close. You just need to overcome your fear of adding water. If you saw the lather start to get shiny and then turn matte again, that means the water you added has been worked in and it's time to add more. Keeping adding and working it in until the lather STAYS shiny. By that point you should have the moist, fluffy meringue you're looking for.

Ok, but again...

You're getting close!

Then you'll try a different cream, and everything you learned will go out the window :wink:

It's a "feel" thing. Hard to describe exactly over the internet.
A little water, a little cream, some vigorous stirring.
It's only shaving cream.
Worst that can happen is you dump it out and start over. You'll know it when you get it. And it will be wonderful.

Kinda like playing guitar.
I can show you that an open G chord is made by placing your index finger on the 5th string at the second fret, your middle finger on the 6th string a the 3rd fret and your pinky on the 1st string at the 3rd fret everyday for a month, but until you can "feel" the G sound, and get it all over the fretboard instinctively, you're not really "playing" guitar :biggrin:

The only way to get good is to practice.

hey tat - do you soak your brush before you start?

this thread is getting so long, i can't remember

i think you're close - and just need to relax and tweak different variables until you get it

Very close!

If your water is anything like it is down here in Kalamazoo, it's very hard, which means, more cream and more water.

Keep adding 1/2 to 1 teaspoon at a time, as the water gets worked in to the lather, you will see more volume.

I use C.O Bigelow too, and I typically use a 1/2" long squeeze of cream in the cup, and a fairly wet brush.

Before you shave tomorrow, put a dime size dollop in the palm of your hand, cup your hand and add about a teaspoon of hot water, rub your hands together (you will lose some water), and apply this mixture to your face, it will be thin, but you should be able to cover your face with lather so you don't see any skin (or very little skin).

Then build your lather in you mug/cup, and apply to your face (don't rinse the other lather off), you may need to wet the tips of the brush as you are building the lather on your face. The whole process should take about 3 minutes, maybe more.

You will know if your lather is too dry when you put the razor to your face.

Give this a try, if it keeps giving you troubles, PM me, maybe we can figure a way to get together and build some lather.

Let us know how it goes!

G

gone down south

All those pictures you see of bowls full of lather are the exact opposite of what you want. You want a brush full of lather, which is why I would suggest face lathering until you get your proportions right. You're getting too hung up on what's in the bowl an not what's in your brush.

all those pictures you see of bowls full of lather are the exact opposite of what you want. You want a brush full of lather, which is why i would suggest face lathering until you get your proportions right. You're getting too hung up on what's in the bowl an not what's in your brush.

+1

Very close!

If your water is anything like it is down here in Kalamazoo, it's very hard, which means, more cream and more water.

Keep adding 1/2 to 1 teaspoon at a time, as the water gets worked in to the lather, you will see more volume.

I use C.O Bigelow too, and I typically use a 1/2" long squeeze of cream in the cup, and a fairly wet brush.

Before you shave tomorrow, put a dime size dollop in the palm of your hand, cup your hand and add about a teaspoon of hot water, rub your hands together (you will lose some water), and apply this mixture to your face, it will be thin, but you should be able to cover your face with lather so you don't see any skin (or very little skin).

Then build your lather in you mug/cup, and apply to your face (don't rinse the other lather off), you may need to wet the tips of the brush as you are building the lather on your face. The whole process should take about 3 minutes, maybe more.

You will know if your lather is too dry when you put the razor to your face.

Give this a try, if it keeps giving you troubles, PM me, maybe we can figure a way to get together and build some lather.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks, but I think I can just stick with the routine that you mentioned earlier. I mean, it sounds like I've almost got it nailed! If worst comes to worst, we can figure out a way to get together and have a "lather clinic" and then we'll KNOW that I'll finally learn how to build lather once and for all.

Top Bottom