What's new

IMAGE STABILIZATION

I'm looking for a handheld consumer camcorder with image stabilization. I read from the pros "hybrid " stabilization is the better type. The stabilization on the GoPro 10 is fantastic , really rock solid . Is there a Panasonic , Sony or Canon that can equal the GoPro's stabilization ??

I'm looking for a handheld consumer camcorder with image stabilization. I read from the pros "hybrid " stabilization is the better type. The stabilization on the GoPro 10 is fantastic , really rock solid . Is there a Panasonic , Sony or Canon that can equal the GoPro's stabilization ??
Are you looking for a camera in the DSLR or mirrorless form factor, or something more like a video camera? Lots of people here use still cameras from those manufacturers. Maybe they can comment on their video capabilities. I wish I knew the answer but I have little experience with consumer camcorders and my Fuji mirrorless camera doesn't do particularly good video.

Good stabilization makes a world of difference. I spent my career working with video cameras of various kinds. I never thought I needed stabilization. Then for an overseas assignment my employer got a small Sony camcorder with built in stabilization. It surprised me how much it helped me get the shots I needed. This was back in 2008 so lots has changed since then.

The new GoPros are impressive.
Most current-day cell phones also do excellent job!
You can also delve into video editing and smooth out in post-processing!
No end to possibilities now! Just limited by the budget and steep learning curves!
Good luck!

Are you looking for a camera in the DSLR or mirrorless form factor, or something more like a video camera? Lots of people here use still cameras from those manufacturers. Maybe they can comment on their video capabilities. I wish I knew the answer but I have little experience with consumer camcorders and my Fuji mirrorless camera doesn't do particularly good video.

Good stabilization makes a world of difference. I spent my career working with video cameras of various kinds. I never thought I needed stabilization. Then for an overseas assignment my employer got a small Sony camcorder with built in stabilization. It surprised me how much it helped me get the shots I needed. This was back in 2008 so lots has changed since then.
Yes!... A huge difference .... The GoPro 10 is amazingly steady,even with hand shakes , but is missing much of what a traditional camcorder can do. I'm looking for one this size:

Attachments

• 3774034_rd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550.jpg
    3774034_rd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2
The new GoPros are impressive.
Most current-day cell phones also do excellent job!
You can also delve into video editing and smooth out in post-processing!
No end to possibilities now! Just limited by the budget and steep learning curves!
Good luck!
Very true, but cell phones can't give you rock steady images at 20X zoom or 5X wide angle images , there are features on a traditional camcorder that I want to use.... My problem is figuring out who , amongst Sony , Panasonic and Canon , have the best stabilization , hopefully equal to the GoPro 10.

Tall order, stabilizing 20X tele!!

(Caution! 20X classically refers to 20 times 'normal', where 'normal' would be 50mm, so 20X would be 1000mm. obviously the camera manufacturers nowadays boast 20X 'zoom', using the widest view as 'base', which is often 24mm; so 20X would be 480mm! further, they often use digital cropping to reach that upper limit!)

Here's one of my crude attempts with the Nikon z6, and the 200-400mm zoom, probably near the longer side, or 8x.
taken at 120fps, handheld, no post-processing (mainly since i've not learned video editing yet!)
the camera has some in-body stabilization, cannot offer greater detail on how.

just my speculation, any of the latest models of the various brands should have comparable abilities.
happy hunting!

Very true, but cell phones can't give you rock steady images at 20X zoom or 5X wide angle images , there are features on a traditional camcorder that I want to use.... My problem is figuring out who , amongst Sony , Panasonic and Canon , have the best stabilization , hopefully equal to the GoPro 10.

Tall order, stabilizing 20X tele!!

(Caution! 20X classically refers to 20 times 'normal', where 'normal' would be 50mm, so 20X would be 1000mm. obviously the camera manufacturers nowadays boast 20X 'zoom', using the widest view as 'base', which is often 24mm; so 20X would be 480mm! further, they often use digital cropping to reach that upper limit!)

Here's one of my crude attempts with the Nikon z6, and the 200-400mm zoom, probably near the longer side, or 8x.
taken at 120fps, handheld, no post-processing (mainly since i've not learned video editing yet!)
the camera has some in-body stabilization, cannot offer greater detail on how.

just my speculation, any of the latest models of the various brands should have comparable abilities.
happy hunting!
Yeah, I can't imagine a camera that can stabilize a 20x zoom. I always found it easier to get a steady shot with a wide angle lens. Still with a small sensor and modern electronics the new gear probably does pretty well.

Each of the manufacturers uses different marketing speak to describe their stabilization. So it's hard to make comparisons. Like @sarimento1 says they all probably have similar capabilities. You might look to see which has the features you want at the price you want to pay. Most of these look pretty good.

Yeah, I can't imagine a camera that can stabilize a 20x zoom. I always found it easier to get a steady shot with a wide angle lens. Still with a small sensor and modern electronics the new gear probably does pretty well.

Each of the manufacturers uses different marketing speak to describe their stabilization. So it's hard to make comparisons. Like @sarimento1 says they all probably have similar capabilities. You might look to see which has the features you want at the price you want to pay. Most of these look pretty good.
Yes... Saw this list.... The Panasonic HC-VX1 and the Canon HF-G50 look better than the optical stabilization only Sony. From what I've read hybrid stabilization is a better system .

Top Bottom