What's new

I'm buying a house and could use some recomendations

I suggest teenage children. My 13 year old is familiar with the lawn mower. In fairness I do the weed whacking because it just tears up the shins and I'm fighting a stubborn line feed problem with it...

It all depends on the size of your lawn, type of grass, how many trees, how much sun, etc. If you have few trees, creeping grass, and a smallish lawn then a reel mower can be a good choice. Otherwise you may want a gas mower.

The workout I don't mind. I just have a bad history with small gas engines. They either won't start running, won't stay running, or cost an arm, both legs and a set of honing stones. :)
As far as battery powered mowers, they're too expensive for the runtime, and just my luck with the tethered ones, I'd likely run over the power cord.

I have a Fiskars reel mower and couldn't be happier with it. It's easier to use than any gas mover I've tried. It ran me about $200 at Home Depot, which is a little on the pricey side. I can mow my lawn at 6 am if I wanted to without waking the neighbors. You can see reviews for it on YouTube.

I also have a manual edger that works just fine. The first time was a little rough, but after that, it was easy.

I still need to get a weed whacker, but so far it hasn't been an issue.

I seen the Fiskers too. How long has it been in use? Any troubles with it?

Check the yard out first. If it's bumpy or has roots, rocks, etc. I imagine a reel mower would be a pain in the rear. I had an electric weedeater for years and hated it. It did a good job but being tethered by a cord really got old fast. They invariably will snag on anything and everything, and you spend a third of your time fighting with the extension cord.

Honda mower and a stihl wacker.
This. Buy once, cry once when it comes to yard tools. I don't always have lots of time to cut my grass and I don't want to spend two or three hours working on a mower or weed whacker when I could be finishing up cutting.

When I seconded a Honda, I was referring to a brand X with a Honda GCV engine not a Honda branded mower. They can be had for $200-300. I have two in service that have performed flawlessly for going on 10 years. Just turn the gas off and let it run dry after each use and change the oil each season and you should get a dependable long life.

Something they sell at Costco. Probably not battery or electric powered.

Costco has the best warranty in the world. If it doesn't work 7 years from now just return it.

I tried a push mower once. Barely spun the blade on the type of grass we have in AZ.

Now I have a Gardner for my own home and a JD Tractor for our acre with a craftsman mower for the small places the JD can't go.

I hate all weed whackers. Find one that has a feed system that actually works.

The one constant in all my motorized things. Amsoil.

I'm currently looking at buying a house and have put in an offer. All on that side is as fine and dandy as it usually is(Read it's a mess). But I'm now needing some stuff I've never needed before, such as, (Gasp) a mower and a weed whacker. I know I want to get a reel Mower, and the trimmers I'm looking at are tethered electrics. Do ya'll have any recomendations? I'm not really interested in the gimmiks, just in gear that will take alot of abuse and still last a long time. Any suggestions?

I bought a Ransomes Bobcat about 25 years ago.

Still working as well today as the day I brought it home.

proxy.php

I can't help with the lawn, but can recommend a Ladder Giant. Heavy but very versatile and eliminates the need for multiple ladders in the garage.

Top Bottom