What's new

Ikon Shavecraft Tech vs Spitfire R41: Godzilla vs Mothra

OK fair comment :)
So is there anybody here who has both the actual 2011 R41 and the Shavecraft Tech to make a direct comparison.

I think, as the OP intended, we've established that the ST marginally outperforms the Spitfire R41 in terms of aggression and shave longevity, but the Spitfire is a smoother shaver and they are both magnificent razors.

But what about the real deal 2011 R41 vs Shavecraft Tech?

I'd assumed that the Spitfire was the equivalent or more efficient than the 2011, but petrounkas makes a very good point about the difference in baseplates between 2011 and 2013 R41...

I have both the Shavecraft Tech and the R41 (in both the 2011 and 2013 editions), but not the Spitfire. To me, the SC Tech is much more blade-oriented, and requires a steep angle. The R41s (both of them) are much more conventional and smooth shaves, where the angle doesn't matter as much. All three are amazingly close and long-lasting shaves.

First shave last night with the SC Tech on MR11 handle. Used same prep, same soap, same blade, same post shave as I do with my R41-13. Very nice shave! A bit more blade feel than the R41, closer to a devette. I was surprised that it did indeed leave a different skin feel on my face as mentioned in this thread. I'm baffled as to why, but it's true.
I found myself wishing the MR11 handle was just a LITTLE bit longer, but will have to see if I adapt to it The spot I wanted to hold it left my pinky hanging out in thin air - I thought I could rest it on the end.
I also picked up the V3A head, so will give that a try next shave.

those are two pics from a thread at B&B
if someone can calculate the cutting angle of ikon tech can be a comparison between it an r41 2013 angle which is the same in both 11 and 13 versions
as everyone can see my last posts there is a SIGNIFICANT amount of blade exposure between r41 2011 and 2013
so ikon seems to have a bit more blade protrusion than r41 13 but at the same time it is obvious that angle of ikon is more curved
blade exposure seems more to 2011 muhle than ikon
all in all from search i've made and from opinions by experienced shavers here and in other forums still r41 2011 is a notch above joris plisson, ikon shavecraft tech and r41 2013

While those are some cool pictures, I do believe your data is slightly flawed (as Edgar @nuclearblast mentioned below). I'm not refuting your argument. You very well could be right. I'm just calling into question the data.

You can't take accurate measurements with the razors on the left tilted at the oblique angles like that. Any front-to-back rotation of the head while looking from that angle won't be noticeable to the naked eye but will have significant impacts on your blade angle and exposure measurements. To be accurate, all of the pictures need to be taken head on (get it?) like your picture of the 2013 R41 on the right.

Even if the numbers were accurate, when it comes to these aggressive razors, I think you're splitting hairs (pun intended). They are all going to perform just a little bit different for each user based on the handle pairings, pressure used, and the variations of preferred shaving angles.

Sorry about the puns, it just sorta happened today.:blushing:

So your comments would suggest that the Spitfire is less aggressive than the 2011 R41 then, and this contradicts everything I've ever read about it.

I believe I read in the thread on the Spitfire cap that it is a bit smoother or more tame on the 2013 baseplate than the 2011, which makes sense since they are different sizes. It's been awhile though, so I could be wrong... My memory is not what it used to be!

I do agree that it's getting a monotonous. I have no reason to doubt that the R41-11 has more blade exposure than the R41-13 with the Spitfire cap.
Once you reach a certain amount of blade exposure, I think the difference become minimal. The difference may very well be the blade angle contributing to the face feel, as mentioned.
To my, the SC Tech feels very similar to the BBX devette with the safety bar not contacting the face if using an angle which accomplishes this. I need to use it more but this is my initial impression.
In my mind, this means the 2011 R41 must feel more aggressive than a devette, which could only be due to blade angle and lack of blade support?
For reference, I have not used the spitfire cap, nor the 2011 R41. I used the R41-13 exclusively for the past 6 months or so, and picked up the SC Tech last week. I spent a week with the BBX devette.
I have no issue agreeing that the 2011 R41 is more aggressive than the Tech or Spitfire.R41-13 combo until I have tried them all. :001_smile

Absolutely! This just makes me want a 2011 R41 even more!

And I agree the Shavecraft Tech really does feel like a devette with the bonus of a skin stretching bar.

There's a sensation of blade flex with the Spitfire which I actually like (and which the Cobra Classic has as well) whereas the blade in the Shavecraft Tech feels as rigid as in an SE or a torqued slant because of the blade curvature.

This design concept was used by Wardonia way back in the 1930's to really brace the blade by curving it, which allows a very big blade gap without any blade chatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if ... we start talking about personal experiences in this thread instead of "I've read this guy in that forum saying I don't know what ... "

BTW Marcus, very interesting thread. Thank you.

What if ... we start talking about personal experiences in this thread instead of "I've read this guy in that forum saying I don't know what ... "

BTW Marcus, very interesting thread. Thank you.

Thank you Edgar.

And yes I very much agree: personal experience is what we want here!

Fair enough!
But the Shavecraft Tech is definitely more aggressive for me than the Spitfire R41 (which is what the OP is about).

So your comments would suggest that the Spitfire is less aggressive than the 2011 R41 then, and this contradicts everything I've ever read about it.

But it simply comes down to the fact that nobody contributing to this excellent thread owns both a 2011 R41 and a Shavecraft Tech to make a real comparison.

All this theorising with diagrams has been very interesting and provoked a good discussion but it's past its sell by date now...

I have both the R41 (2011) and the Ikon Shavecraft Tech. To me, the Ikon Tech is unmistakably more aggressive than the R41 (2011).

One of the differences between the Tech and the 2011 R41 is the R41 shaves in a much wider range of angles than the Tech. So by changing the angle of the 2011 you can adjust the level of agressiveness. I can make the 2011 either more agressive or milder than the Tech. It similar to using a straight razor, changing the angle changes the level of agressiveness.

I own the Ikon Tech, 2011 R41, 2013 R41 and Spitfire. My experience is the 2011 R41 is the most aggressive and gives me the best shaves of the group. The IKon Tech is vey aggressive but not as aggressive as the 2011, the shaving feel between the two is very different and the Tech feels rougher.

The Spifire shaves similar to the 2011 but it's not quite as agressive or as nice a shave. The 2013 is not in the same league of aggressiveness as the other razors in this group.

Even while the 2011 is my champ I also like the Ikon Tech. My fear of a Zamak failure of my 2011 R41 has driven me to using straight razors.

I hope everyone hates the 2011 R41 so there is a hope I can find a back up. The options are what makes this hobby and the search for the ultimate shave so fun.

I agree that the Tech is rougher than the 2011 R41, which is part of its intrigue. My fear of Zamak failure causes me to use my Tech much more frequently than the 2011 R41, but I love them both. Not to mention that the Tech gives me a closer and longer-lasting shave. I respect that your experience is different! [MENTION=21554]petrakounas[/MENTION], I hope you get your hands on both razors--they're both amazing, the top two experiences in my large den!

This thread is amazing! And clearly YMMV.

So now we have two contradictory opinions from people who own both razors, which is just fine and takes the heat off the debate.

It's also really interesting that relative levels of aggression should be experienced differently by different people (I'd always though razor aggression was an objective factor).

Since for me the ST is more aggressive than the Spitfire, I wonder if I would also find it more aggressive than the 2011.

I guess with every post in this thread the price of the 2011 rises a bit higher [emoji3]

Also as a thought, if you want to replicate the Hurricane cap, you can grind down the width of your 2013 cap to 18.6mm.
It gives an amazingly smooth shave with aggression levels near that of the Spitfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that the Tech is rougher than the 2011 R41, which is part of its intrigue. My fear of Zamak failure causes me to use my Tech much more frequently than the 2011 R41, but I love them both. Not to mention that the Tech gives me a closer and longer-lasting shave. I respect that your experience is different! @petrakounas, I hope you get your hands on both razors--they're both amazing, the top two experiences in my large den!
I agree the correct answer is to own both. If you are an aggressive razor aficionado then they are both must haves. Both razors will retain honored positions in my den.

IMHO the Tech and 2011 R41 are the most agressive razors I have tried. While a consensus on which one is more agressive is not important agressive razors lovers can agree they are both classics.

IMHO the Tech and 2011 R41 are the most agressive razors I have tried. While a consensus on which one is more agressive is not important agressive razors lovers can agree they are both classics.

Absolutely agree. I'm still looking for the third!

Top Bottom