What's new

If you had three brushes for the rest of your life

Semogue 730 HD Silvertip
Omega 20102 Boar
Semogue SOC 2-band

semogue_730HD_silvertip.jpg
omega_20102.jpeg
semogue_SOC-2band.jpg

My answer would change depending on the day. My guess is that, with proper care, a synthetic brush or a boar brush could last many years. Something like the Jade Omega or one of the Omega Professionals would be on the list. I would probably also get the Semogue OC Mistura with a resin handle. Even if didn't last a lifetime, I would definitely enjoy several years of use and it gives you the feel of a 2-band badger. The last would be a synthetic as an insurance policy. A brush like the Yaqi Horse Rainbow or the Mew/Synbad would be fine. I have not used the AP Shave Co. G5C knot or the MiG knot, but I would probably want to try those before making a final decision on the synthetic.

One boar
One synth
One mixed badger/boar

From my current stable, that would look like:

Connaught Omega Jade
Razorock Plissoft
Semogue Mistura
I had the same idea. The only difference would be the choice of synthetic. Nevertheless, I do have the Plissoft and could live with it.

I have not used the AP Shave Co. G5C knot or the MiG knot, but I would probably want to try those before making a final decision on the synthetic.
The MiG challenges the STF. It doesn't quite exude the quality of the Muhle but is nearly as soft, with just enough extra density and backbone to set it apart. The technical term would be "oomph." I don't feel much need for the Synbad any more since the MiG does everything a little better (except maybe in the looks department) while retaining the comfort. I'm not giving up my STFs, but the MiG has a place at the counter.

I had the same idea. The only difference would be the choice of synthetic. Nevertheless, I do have the Plissoft and could live with it.

I only have two types of synthetic:

Three Razorock Plissofts and one Simpson Trafalgar T3, so I was choosing from those. I like the Simpson well enough, but prefer the softer (easier to splay) Razorock brushes.

I'm sure there are better synthetic brushes but I'm too "frugal" to buy them, and actually prefer boar or mixed natural bristles (mistura).

In fact, lately I only use my synthetic brushes when I'm in a hurry or forget to soak one of my natural bristle brushes. It's more about convenience than preference.

I only have two types of synthetic:

Three Razorock Plissofts and one Simpson Trafalgar T3, so I was choosing from those. I like the Simpson well enough, but prefer the softer (easier to splay) Razorock brushes.

I'm sure there are better synthetic brushes but I'm too "frugal" to buy them, and actually prefer boar or mixed natural bristles (mistura).

In fact, lately I only use my synthetic brushes when I'm in a hurry or forget to soak one of my natural bristle brushes. It's more about convenience than preference.
The synthetics make great lather, but their face feel, backbone and splay are not on par with natural brushes. They are good enough, but natural brushes, like the Mistura, are just better.

The MiG challenges the STF. It doesn't quite exude the quality of the Muhle but is nearly as soft, with just enough extra density and backbone to set it apart. The technical term would be "oomph." I don't feel much need for the Synbad any more since the MiG does everything a little better (except maybe in the looks department) while retaining the comfort. I'm not giving up my STFs, but the MiG has a place at the counter.
I have the tiny 19 mm EJ STF brush. The tips are soft and the knot can actually produce enough lather for a couple of passes. The brush is a bit too springy for me. I am not sure if that is a general property of the STF knots, or a result of the very small size of the 19 mm knot. It looks like shaving brush that you would find in the bathroom of a doll house 🙂, but it does work.

I have the tiny 19 mm EJ STF brush. The tips are soft and the knot can actually produce enough lather for a couple of passes. The brush is a bit too springy for me. I am not sure if that is a general property of the STF knots, or a result of the very small size of the 19 mm knot. It looks like shaving brush that you would find in the bathroom of a doll house 🙂, but it does work.
The 25mm XL STF is its own thing.

Thater 4124/3 Silvertip with a bulb knot
Thater 4125/2 2-band Silvertip with a bulb knot
Simpsons Duke 3 in best badger
That's a great list.
I was agonizing over leaving my beloved Thater 4125/00 off the list I compiled yesterday.
The other brush I really wanted to include was my Omega 81064 boar.
One reason was that both these brushes receive less attention than they deserve I think, whereas many others already included the Semogue SOC 2-band which I also included. But heck on a list for life, I want a 2-band! So my third choice for a runner up list (below) is my Shavemac D01 2-band silvertip.

thater_4125-00-silvertip.jpg
omega-81064.jpg
shavemac_2band.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Great thread!

1) Semogue Pharos synthetic
2) AP Shave Co Faux Boar synthetic
3) RazoRock Plissoft synthetic

Honorable mention:

AP Shave Co G5A
AP Shave Co Silksmoke

I only own 1 brush that I couldn't picture myself using daily and being perfectly happy.

If I were forced to have only 3-

Simpson Eagle G3 pure
Simpson Special pure (for travel)
Shavemac Beagle (just took it out of the box for tomorrow haha)

I'd settle for brushes with nice face feel- some call it scritch I guess, I call it how I like it ;) And the Beagle was a fun project created by members on this board a few years ago, for those who don't know.

Top Bottom