What's new

ID Those Hones!

Good buy, due to that shipping not really a Score....however seems to be some nice stones....

Yeah, I was hoping there'd be a surprise in the ones I figured for synths, but no luck, all synths. Even one less washita than I hoped. The india stone is pretty neat though, given its age.

I'm not so sure I'd say that. I have a found grey slate that shaves equivalent to or better than a Thuri IMO - and it sure isn't a Thuri. Gabe (Hunter) has used it.
That stone is awesome. I love it, I hope my sample is as nice as Alex's I have been using.

I have no thuri to compare to unless my 6 x 3 LG is in the mail today.(I hope)

As near as I can tell there is no difference in any of them. I cut small samples from each slab and they test identically. I actually used the stone you're trading for to hone a few razors before it left, it's excellent.

Glad to hear it. Sadly still no thuri. It has been in America since the 2nd but has yet to arrive.

Ian, I am eagerly awaiting your evaluation of the coticule. It was such a nice size that it was my main reason for bidding.

I'll shave off it sometime this week; but I'm sure it'll be fine. It feels similar to my 10x2" with pretty similar appearance, but not quite as hard. Very smooth, good speed, but doesn't start pooling swarf as soon as soon as the razor hits it like some. A few dozen passes and you can definitely see some swarf forming, though. And yeah, the size is nice, I'd say ~7.25x1.75 or so. Noticeably bigger than the 7x1.5", but not quite 8x2". I may get an audio recording of it, that's the most distinct property to coticules that can be demonstrated online in my opinion.

Ok I've ID'ed the synths, entire lot:

~7" coti
~8" Thuri
~8" washita
8" Labeled Fine India
8" Fine India
7" Fine India
8" Med India
6" Coarse/Fine India
8" Coarse/Med Carbo/Crysto
8" Coarse Carbo/Crysto
8" Fine Carbo/Crysto
8" Med Carbo/Cryso

The only stone with noticeable wear is the Coarse side of the C/M carbo/Crysto. Shame there's no 8" Coarse India, I wanted to make a 3 piece set (I have a 3-stone 8x2" box from a lot I bought awhile ago), but I had to stick a carbo coarse in there.

That's a lot f carbos and indias!

So who scored what looked like a thuri in that hone strop for $25? I forgot to put a bid in this morning.

I figured it for a dirty coti, not a thuri; was #2 bidder. Odds are the winner was someone here so we'll see. I would have gone higher, but given how dirty it was, I thought it could be worn down to bbw... I've gotten a few paddles in that state before. If it is a thuri, it is a really nice score for the winner.

Top Bottom