What's new

I want to buy me a straight razor...

It's not a full hollow and you can feel it, but I really like the difference.

Good for you for cleaning up the razor! Adam from The Invisible Edge told me that the hollowed grind on the Basic Black is not quite as thin as the singing hollowed grind on some of the other TI models.

Bare with me, what is being measured

The age old question. It seems that most manufacturers of new straights measure the full width of the blade including the spine whereas some sellers exclude the width of the spine in their measurements. If you are not sure, ask the seller.

I just realized that my above explanation is backwards. Most manufacturers of new straights exclude the spine in their measurements whereas some sellers of vintage razors on eBay include the spine in their measurements.

Sorry for any confusion!

For example, the width of the blade of my new 6/8 inch Dovo Bismarck measures 6/8 inches not including the spine. If you include the spine, the blade is 7/8 inches wide.

Reactions: Gts
Just checking in about the Barbarossa. I have the stainless spanish point model with ebony scales. Neither mine nor the carbon steel models use a Bismarck blank for the blade.

The Barbarossa is a spanish point shorty, so it works very well as a detail razor. Most shavers would not choose it as their first, or only, straight razor.

I think either an Aust or a Dovo Bismarck would be a fine choice. The black oxide blade might be a little easier to keep looking good. I personally would pick an Aust, but even my Best Quality Dovo is fine. My Aust benefitted from a touch up on the finishing hone after I tried its factory edge once.

Either 5/8 or 6/8 is a fine starting razor. I personally believe a heavier grind, say 1/2 hollow is a better starting point for someone who intends to touch up their own razor on a hone, rather than lapping film or just pasted strops.

Just checking in about the Barbarossa. I have the stainless spanish point model with ebony scales. Neither mine nor the carbon steel models use a Bismarck blank for the blade.

The Barbarossa is a spanish point shorty, so it works very well as a detail razor. Most shavers would not choose it as their first, or only, straight razor.

I think either an Aust or a Dovo Bismarck would be a fine choice. The black oxide blade might be a little easier to keep looking good. I personally would pick an Aust, but even my Best Quality Dovo is fine. My Aust benefitted from a touch up on the finishing hone after I tried its factory edge once.

Either 5/8 or 6/8 is a fine starting razor. I personally believe a heavier grind, say 1/2 hollow is a better starting point for someone who intends to touch up their own razor on a hone, rather than lapping film or just pasted strops.

Thanks , all good to know!
However i want to explain myself regarding the shorties and how i got to those choices.
As i mentioned on another post , i am using a shavette exclusively for my shaves and i am loading it with half of a DE blade, so, in reality, the usable edge that is being used to shave my face is almost half an inch shorter than the blade on a Barbarossa. I fully understand that these are advertized as a detail razor and that you're gonna need a full one to shave your face and one of those to trim your beard and probably a different one for your eyebrows etc. :wink2:. But in reality someone who uses a DE razor uses a smaller width blade than that, to shave, trim etc., so by using a so called short blade straight razor, you're using a bigger blade that covers a larger portion of your face than before AND you can get to the more unapprochable parts of it AND trim too if you have to! Add to that the fact that it's portable to carry when you travel, add also the fact that i'm a sucker for everything portable and travel oriented and i'm sure that you'll understand my point of view.

I do use my Barbarossa for full shaves. I started with a half DE blade shavette myself, so the versatility of a short blade is a known and useful feature. The spanish point sure makes hair by hair detailing less of a hassle.

My Barbarossa is a joy to use, no issues at all, so go for it if that is what you want. My stainless razors (I also have an SS Friodur) are very easy to keep clean, unstained (no duh) and sharp; feel free to go with stainless without fear of a lesser product.

I just realized that my above explanation is backwards. Most manufacturers of new straights exclude the spine in their measurements whereas some sellers of vintage razors on eBay include the spine in their measurements.

Sorry for any confusion!

For example, the width of the blade of my new 6/8 inch Dovo Bismarck measures 6/8 inches not including the spine. If you include the spine, the blade is 7/8 inches wide.
Good explanation

Iirc

the width is either from

edge to back of spine (“new” way to measure/most users/sellers use this).

or edge to widest point of spine at time of manufacture (“old” way from manufacturing/retail)

I know that it has been a while since i started this thread, but there's a good explanation for not being able to update it.
So after all the advises i decided to go for the all black Dovo Bismarck after all. So i ordered it from a German or Dutch site , at least i thought it was German but the shipping seemed to start from Holland. Anyway, i waited and waited for it to arrive and two months passed by without a package! Long story short i never received it and they were professional enough to refund my money. So then i ordered the base model 5/8" from Ralf Aust. Meanwhile and not being patient enough to go over a slow shipping service, i decided to buy a Dovo 100681 best quality from a local store, that managed to send it to my door the very next day! Two weeks later i got my Ralf Aust too!
So now i've got two razors!!! Hooray!!!
So , thanks for all the replies , know that i appreciate it and that I'm happy with the way things turned out after all. Now i got my blade ( ...well... blades really) and it's time to get my badger too! ;-)
Sorry for the low quality photos, I'm not good at that at all...

Attachments

• IMG_20210330_143522.jpg
    IMG_20210330_143522.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210330_143356.jpg
    IMG_20210330_143356.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210330_143339.jpg
    IMG_20210330_143339.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210330_143327.jpg
    IMG_20210330_143327.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210330_143306.jpg
    IMG_20210330_143306.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210330_143306.jpg
    IMG_20210330_143306.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210330_143251.jpg
    IMG_20210330_143251.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Congrats on the two razors, @Gts! Too bad you had to go through the whole 2-month issue with the first razor, but you now have two nice razors. Enjoy!

Nice!

Now we are waiting for your report on how the shaving went. If you are used to shavettes, this should be easy.
Both raxors gave me great shaves so far and although the Aust came better prepared for them , i have come to enjoy the 6/8" size of the Dovo more.
I have also managed to find a good size leather piece for stropping and i bought a small coticule stone for honing, so i will manage really , i'm sure i will...

Both raxors gave me great shaves so far and although the Aust came better prepared for them , i have come to enjoy the 6/8" size of the Dovo more.
I have also managed to find a good size leather piece for stropping and i bought a small coticule stone for honing, so i will manage really , i'm sure i will...
That's good to hear.

As far as honing go, the cheapest, most effective way of getting into it is probably with films and diamond pasted balsa.

There is a lot of information about it on the forum, if you need advice just ask.

Top Bottom