What's new

I think Gillette is on to us

They aren't going to use shelf space in Wal-Mart to sell a DE. My prediction, it will be an inexpensively produced drastically overpriced DE sold only through AoS stores to fill a niche their marketing geniuses have identified. Most likely hipsters that are walking around with Dads credit card.

I second the motion. There are plenty of knock-offs coming out of Asia. Some are well made and some not. If you really want me to relive the glory, it has to be made in the USA. I'm not being overly nationalistic. Putting the "Gillette" logo on someone's overflow of stock is just not going to impress me.

This ^^:thumbup:

I would mind see Gillette reissue some of it popular DE razor as limited editions, as long as they are as well made as the original ones.

BINGO....

Give this man a job in marketing at Gillette.

Sign me up for a limited edition toggle :yesnod:

I don't care what it cost.....

proxy.php

What he said.

I'm betting on the Tech being the next Gillette DE razor.

1. It's really mild and easy to use - so even cartridge users would have no problem enjoying them.
2. It's inexpensive, but still shaves well.
3. The Asian market is already using the razor, so the US market is a slam dunk.

I've already found my dream razor, but I'm really interested in seeing how this plays out. :001_smile

I'm curious to see what they come out with too - but they've got a lot of ground to cover if they want to catch up to the people who are making great razors today (ATT, iKon, Rockwell, the list goes on).

If they come out with some cheap crap, they'll get squat of the market share in the developed world, but their strategy mightn't be about the high end of the market. Maybe cheap and nasty would make them more money in the developing world, India, China, etc are very large markets.

Makes me wonder if some Gillette flunky reads all these forums regularly and reports back to their marketing think tank . . .

Hello all, I just got a return call from AOS here in Omaha, and they verified that Gillette is re releasing the Tech. Also other models are in the pipeline. Can you say Fatboy? Sure, I knew you could! He did specifically mention the Fatboy. But first the Tech.

Hello all, I just got a return call from AOS here in Omaha, and they verified that Gillette is re releasing the Tech. Also other models are in the pipeline. Can you say Fatboy? Sure, I knew you could! He did specifically mention the Fatboy. But first the Tech.

Wow fatboy too. I'm glad you checked so people didn't think I was crazy.

You know, I emailed Gillette about a year ago and asked them if they were ever going to consider re releasing some of the classic DE razors of old, and they told me absolutely not. Imagine that.

I'd be surprised if they came back with a metal model...they still flog cheap 'n' nasty 7 o'clock models in some countries still though I think.

I would LOVE to think that Gillette would come back to us with some decent kit but mmmmmmm... I just can't see it. The only thing I can think of that would add credibility to the story is for someone like Magards or Italian Barber to start giving the community a little headsup. Surely they'd be in the loop?
We could only speculate at this point. P&G owns Gillette AND owns Art of Shaving. AoS has a long history of various exclusive styles of whatever was the current cartridge model, before and after their acquisition by P&G. It would not be out of character for a P&G/Gillette model to appear at AoS and nowhere else.
Besides, they have to come up with something that would bring Internet-savvy DE shavers back into their pricey stores.

This is very surprising news, but I doubt I will ever buy a modern Gillette knock-off of a vintage Gillette razor.
Why not? I already own dozens of vintage Gillettes. There is no chance that the knock-off version is going to be better.

From what may be seen in that photo and with dodgy reading glasses, it looks fine to me.

I will add a re-issue Gillette Tech to the razor menagerie, just because I can. I'll shave with it too and do a comparison test between it and the pre-war Fat Handled Tech I happen to be using this week. If they'll introduce it, I'll try it. It might be inferior or it might not be inferior but it's a start and is worth encouraging.

They aren't going to use shelf space in Wal-Mart to sell a DE. My prediction, it will be an inexpensively produced drastically overpriced DE sold only through AoS stores to fill a niche their marketing geniuses have identified. Most likely hipsters that are walking around with Dads credit card.
Actually, they do use shelf space at Wal-Mart (or at least at some Wal-Marts) to sell a DE: the MT One. But I agree with your basic point that the new Gillette offering will probably be way overpriced, like pretty much everything at AOS. And also that it will likely be sold only at AOS. I think it will have to be a cold day in hell for Gillette to put a DE on the same mass market shelves as their carts.

A "new" 3 piece razor will set Gillette up for a McDonald's hot coffee scalding type of lawsuit when someone slices 4 fingertips trying to change a blade. It ain't 1954 anymore.

Top Bottom