What's new

I need help, please!

Hi all,

I'm in my 40s, and I have never shaved well. Some guys shave and it looks like they are just brushing the hair right off their face - their face looks as clean as my 7 year old son!
But after I shave, i look like I need to start over. I am not sure what the problem may be.

Sometimes, I feel smooth, but look far rougher/darker than it feels.
Other times my face has some red blotches.
If it is helpful, i can say that if I shave every day, it looks and feels worse. If I skip 2 days, it's not so bad (Am I imagining that this could be relevant? Why would that make sense?) But I think I look pretty scruffy/unprofessional after 48 hours without a shave, so I am not sure that's a long term solution?

No one ever taught me how to shave, but I've read and tried everything.
For me:
Electrics razors never gave me a smooth shave and the more I tried, the more my face hurt/got red.
I went to a barber once who used a straight razor, and what was not bleeding was extremely red by the end. He told me that it 'didn't work out for me' at a barber.
So at home, I shower first, use a Nivea Men's face wash and let warm water wash it off. Then, I use Art of Shaving oil, a brush with their shaving cream, and then a Gillette Fusion razor, rinsing with hot water after every stroke, first with the grain (which barely cuts anything) and then against the grain (which seems to be most effective for me). I use the Art of Shaving After Shave lotion afterwards, which feels nice on my dry skin, but I still look unshaved (even when it feels smooth).

ARGH!

Is this just "normal" for me - how can I tell whether there is room for improvement or if I am just one of those guys with a shadow?
Are there shaving consultants for hire somewhere I can see to advise me without trying to sell me a new product after 2 min?
Do I have something like razor burn, bumps, or am I not getting a close enough shave? I know I sound completely clueless, but I don't understand what's the problem or how to fix it. I feel like I have tried so many different razors, alternating what direction I slide the razor, pre-washes, types of razors, etc. Nothing has made an real, meaningful improvement.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated please, thanks...

I could never go 48 hour and not look scruffy. If you are using a cartridge razor more than two passes might to much for you. I would try with the grain then across the grain until your face is used to shaving.
You have mapped your face. If not you really should.

You should try an injector razor. They are efficient, and some are mild, and forgiving. Blades are available mail order and clones are available if don’t want to go vintage.

If you can't feel whiskers but can still see them, there's not much you can do about it except wait a few years until the whiskers get a little grayer. Then they'll be much less noticeable. Seriously, if your skin feels irritated after shaving you might try a change. Everything you're doing sounds right to me except maybe that Fusion razor. I used one for a long time and my face was irritated every day. Even though I had the same problem you have with shadow, at least my face felt better and that was enough for me.

Somebody recommended an injector razor and I definitely second that. They're easy to get the hang of and give very close comfortable shaves pretty quickly once you get used to not applying pressure (which you have to do with the Fusion). DE razors are more popular and can give great results too.

Im a newbie and still struggling but the help I’ve received here is amazing. I’m sure they’ll help you as well.

Keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I'm in my 40s, and I have never shaved well. Some guys shave and it looks like they are just brushing the hair right off their face - their face looks as clean as my 7 year old son!
But after I shave, i look like I need to start over. I am not sure what the problem may be.

If it is helpful, i can say that if I shave every day, it looks and feels worse. If I skip 2 days, it's not so bad (Am I imagining that this could be relevant? Why would that make sense?) But I think I look pretty scruffy/unprofessional after 48 hours without a shave, so I am not sure that's a long term solution?

For me:
Electrics razors never gave me a smooth shave and the more I tried, the more my face hurt/got red.
I went to a barber once who used a straight razor, and what was not bleeding was extremely red by the end. He told me that it 'didn't work out for me' at a barber.
So at home, I shower first, use a Nivea Men's face wash and let warm water wash it off. Then, I use Art of Shaving oil, a brush with their shaving cream, and then a Gillette Fusion razor, rinsing with hot water after every stroke, first with the grain (which barely cuts anything) and then against the grain (which seems to be most effective for me). I use the Art of Shaving After Shave lotion afterwards, which feels nice on my dry skin, but I still look unshaved (even when it feels smooth).

ARGH!

Is this just "normal" for me - how can I tell whether there is room for improvement or if I am just one of those guys with a shadow?
Are there shaving consultants for hire somewhere I can see to advise me without trying to sell me a new product after 2 min?
Do I have something like razor burn, bumps, or am I not getting a close enough shave? I know I sound completely clueless, but I don't understand what's the problem or how to fix it. I feel like I have tried so many different razors, alternating what direction I slide the razor, pre-washes, types of razors, etc. Nothing has made an real, meaningful improvement.

Hi HelpNeeded!,

Now I get the reason for your handle. It'll be good to know your full setup from razor, blades, to brush.

I'm just guessing here but it seems you have hair that flatters itself against your face and you have rather sensitive skin.

In you case I would recommend face lathering with a good boar brush. Depending upon how sensitive your skin is, you could choose a 10049 or 10104 omega brush. Bit you have to break it in first.
Mawashi Patented 15 min Boar Busting Method lol.

The purpose of the face lather is to exfoliate and to soften and raise those bristles plus give you a great cushion of slick lather.

Blades are perhaps the most important element and for you a sharp and smooth blade is a must BICs, Yellow 7 o'clocks and gsb are great smooth blades.

An open comb razor might be better in your case and since I have no idea if you'll be wet shaving a month later, get a cheap $20 new short comb off the bay. They are smooth, mild and really effective.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

If you must use a cartridge, I recommend Schick. I always got a much better shave with less irritation. Either the Quattro or the Hydro should be better than the Fusion.

Hi all,

For me:

ARGH!

Ya know, gonna make an unorthodox suggestion. West Coast Shaving and Maggard Razors both sell the Gillette Guard razor. Basically a plastic travel razor with one blade. $2. Replacement blades are three for $2. Buy a handful, give it a try as a transitional tool.

thanks all! Any specific videos you recommend? How/where do I map my face? And if you have a link to the wiki, i'd love to check it out! thanks!

ps - i shaved 2 hours ago. this is what my cheek looks like. it is (mostly, but not completely) smooth to the touch, but does not look clean, right?
proxy.php
2019-05-24 09.03.53-1.jpg

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I'm 30 and I don't get super smooth shaves either, unless I want to give myself serious razor burn and irritation shaving against the grain.

Even barbers don't necessarily have straight razors mastered. When I got my beard trimmed and lined up for the first this year there was a red irritated area on my face where the barber had been scrubbing my skin with the blade. It wasn't a baby smooth shave either.
I remember one older gentleman telling me he would never use a straight. When he was younger, a barber offered him a free SR shave since he was getting married. He received a really rough shave that left his face really raw and sore.

Welcome to the madhouse HelpNeeded!. :001_smile
ps - i shaved 2 hours ago. this is what my cheek looks like. it is (mostly, but not completely) smooth to the touch, but does not look clean, right?
Also... welcome to the bluebeards' club. :001_cool: :wink2:

I would say that like me, and many other bluebeards, your whiskers grow nearly parallel to your face... so no matter how close your shave is you can still see them.

Shortly after joining B&B, I started looking at other men :laugh: and was shocked at how many appeared to have no whiskers at all (compared to the face I saw in the shaving mirror each day).

Enjoy both your manly look and smooth face. :punk:

here's another. help please!View attachment 983547
Your skin looks really irritated there. I used to have the same problem and here's what I did. Picked up a decent brush, soap, razor, alum block, and aftershave. Attempted to get a shave that produced no feedback from the alum block afterward. Don't make it your goal to get a completely smooth face at first. That will come later though as your technique improves. Just make sure your face isn't constantly irritated from shaving.

Getting rid of that irritation will make your face look a million times better even if you can still see some whiskers. Dark whiskers and light skin make it pretty tough to get a shave where you won't see the whiskers at all. I wouldn't worry too much about it though since there's not much you can do about it. Just embrace your manliness :)

I found Gillette Fusion Power was not working for me. I'm two weeks into learning a DE razor and it has already improved the way I shave with a cartridge. After returning to a cartridge for a few days I have realized that my shaving is going pretty well with a DE. DE is a lot more time consuming and you have to learn to shave with your face. Cartridge razors seem to make you lazy and let you get away with things that a DE wouldn't. In possession of a DE again and am looking forward to shaving again with one.

Hmm. Not sure an open comb DE is the best choice for someone who lacks experience and has sensitive skin. Might be right in six months, tho.

Why not? Me and another newbie swapped from SB to OC plates 2 months into wet shaving and used a New Short Comb.
It was a great experience and gave 2 newbies a shave better than a slim, a tech or any other razor before.

Smooth, mild yet effecient and irritation free what more could I ask for.

The NSC has given the both of us a shave that sets the standard by which we measure other razors against.

Top Bottom