What's new

I love both bourbon & scotch, but to me bourbon burns more going down. Thoughts?

Most bourbons for me are sickly sweet and I prefer scotch, the exceptions so far are elijah craig 12 and Blantons.

Try leaving the top off for a while if you find it burns too much. Airing it out will smooth it out.

No offense but the cheaper 'Old Forrester' is a better sippin Bourbon than "Elijah Craig" to me. Albeit it has a little burn goin down but a splendid nose neat. I keep it around for my coke mixing friends. May be one of the best bourbons for the buck, IMO...Also, 1792 Bourbon was a let down to me.

My Bourbon hierarchy:

Pappy Van Winkle 20 / 23 yr old. Nothing better, IMO
Woodford Reserve...obviously
Maker's Mark
I intend to try Parker's 27 Year Old Heritage some day.....
There are other grand KENTUCKY Bourbons, but these are the ones that end up in my cart.

Maybe so but I skull mine.

Since keeping up with this thread, I have started experimenting with scotch again.
I think the reason that I was never a big Scotch fan was because I chose blends in the past ?
I bought a bottle of Glinlivet 12 recently and a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 this week and I like them both.

It hasn't taken very long to put a dent in both. And, while I believe in the Angel's share, I am not about to pour a sip into my glass only to toss the first one on the floor. :)
I have been drinking some 'Old Forrester' and bitters with some orange zest oil squeezed in. Shaken with ice and strained so the ice won't water it down...garnished with a twisted orange peel... not a bad drink, IMO.

Tried my first Kentucky bourbon tonight(Blanton's). I agree it burns a lot more than scotch but I liked it better. I preferred the thicker taste and was actually easier on my stomach later on.

Call me crazy but I love harsh Bourbons. I will happily drink Wild Turkey, I love how dry it is.

The sweet and caramel flavors of many whiskys that I used to enjoy, now turn me off. Scotch just isn't the same anymore.

Funny because I broke out a bottle of Cognac (Pierre Ferand Reserve) the other day and thought to myself, this stuff is much smoother than my usual Scotch (Old Pulteney 17).

So, I used to belt doubles of bourbon, but never thought that it could be something with depth that I could enjoy like scotch; I guess I just never thought beyond those shots and the five dollar fifths of my teens and early twenties.

I remember enjoying Maker's Mark at Fort Benning a lifetime ago, and after putzing around this thread and thinking maybe I would give it one more go, so I got one of those and a Woodford Reserve based on the recommendations here. We'll see how it goes!

So, I used to belt doubles of bourbon, but never thought that it could be something with depth that I could enjoy like scotch; I guess I just never thought beyond those shots and the five dollar fifths of my teens and early twenties.

I remember enjoying Maker's Mark at Fort Benning a lifetime ago, and after putzing around this thread and thinking maybe I would give it one more go, so I got one of those and a Woodford Reserve based on the recommendations here. We'll see how it goes!

My prediction is you'll be singing My Old Kentucky Home with a tear in your eye in no time.

In the bourbon department I'm a Blantons and a Jeffersons Reserve kind of guy with Woodford probably being my third choice. In the land of Scotch I've oddly been on a Japanese kick lately and would highly recommend Yamazaki 18.

Never been much of a bourbon fan, I found them too harsh for my tastes. This weekend I gave my father a bottle of Marker's Mark 46 and he gave me a bottle of Oak Cross blended scotch. So, of course we had to try them both.

I preferred the Oak Cross to MM 46, but didn't find MM 46 to be as harsh as other bourbons. I could find myself drinking some when I want a change.

So, two bottles and a few weeks later I have come back. I got my Maker's Mark and it was better than I remember, but it was my twenties so I was probably firing for effect. Additionally, Woodford Reserve may well have earned a permanent place in my cabinet; the character is completely different from my rotation and it isn't very costly by comparison.

I will have to do more research. Much more.

I'm sure they would, but using peat to smoke it ruins it IMHO. The Irish would also say they taught the Scots how to make whisky. But to each their own.

the words of my old man, "a Dominican would say, "mira, porque beben whi'kee con e'te calor? Miran, un poco de romo y coco te da bien!""
(why drink whiskey with this heat? Look, a bit of rum and coconut water (in a fresh cut coconut) would do you well!)

Top Bottom