What's new

I Hate Big watches

Sometimes I wonder how the big watch fashion trend happened. Was it:

1. Bigger must be better. e.g. an indication of luxury or wealth. Like how bigger cars, houses, etc. are "better" than small.
  2. Bigger denotes more strength and masculinity, along with evolving social trends
  3. Bigger means it is not some cheap quartz watch.

My pet theory not based on much is that #3, the quartz watch revolution was a key step, making it easier to produce smaller and thinner watches. Since mechanical watches needed to be bigger to hold their movements, what started as a small size difference over time became exaggerated to help show others that the watch wearer has a "real" watch on their wrist. With the other factors helping once the trend started.

There is some minimal dial size needed for readability but in most other aspects the smaller the watch, the easier it is wear at all times. Maybe some manufacturer will develop a new small movement to show off their horological prowess and there will be a revival to smaller and lighter watches. But it may take a new generation of smart watches to make that happen.

My impression the large watch craze started as better watches became available to fighter pilots. They were designed to be worn over the cuff of a flight/G suit.

proxy.php

My impression the large watch craze started as better watches became available to fighter pilots. They were designed to be worn over the cuff of a flight/G suit.

proxy.php

I love the Bell & Ross watches for that reason. I'll never be able to afford one though.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Checked Bell&Ross site and I wouldn't wear any of their watches if they paid me. Carrying around an old cuckoo clock is more classy and convenient.

Checked Bell&Ross site and I wouldn't wear any of their watches if they paid me. Carrying around an old cuckoo clock is more classy and convenient.

Well, to each their own, right? Personally I find a lot of modern Breitling watches completely lacking in taste - they seem to be too "blingy". But others disagree!

Of course. Just saying I personally wouldn't wear these monsters.
Actually in the case of Bell & Ross it was a matter of readability, but many of their clients did indeed think that the watch was to big so they do have options at 40 and 42mm for that very reason

I do like the appearance of those large pilot watches, such as the Bell & Ross posted here. I bought a fake replica a few years ago, not to try and fool anyone or deny B&R a legitimate sale, but to see how much I liked the wrist presence and to see if such a cheap automatic movement would work. The size was okay for a change of pace, but I found that I preferred the 37-42mm range. It was an interesting watch with a low bpm and a low power reserve to match the low price.

I do like the appearance of those large pilot watches, such as the Bell & Ross posted here. I bought a fake replica a few years ago, not to try and fool anyone or deny B&R a legitimate sale, but to see how much I liked the wrist presence and to see if such a cheap automatic movement would work. The size was okay for a change of pace, but I found that I preferred the 37-42mm range. It was an interesting watch with a low bpm and a low power reserve to match the low price.

The blue ceramic above is 42mm...they have a large variety in that size...

The blue ceramic above is 42mm...they have a large variety in that size...

That is good to know, I had been assuming that all B&R watches in this style were larger. My fake BR01-92 is 46mm and is wearable (minus the fact that it is not real and has inferior construction) but I would prefer the 42mm size.

Top Bottom