What's new

i finally did it!

Congratulations. Have you been using a straight very long?

Now that you have figured out what works for you your next objective should be going for consistency.

Congrats again on the shave.

The stretching thing applies primarily to straight razors, but the wrong angle and excess pressure applies to all modes of shaving. Congratulations on figuring it out.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
i got a comfortable bbs shave from a straight razor. turns out i wasnt stretching tight enough, too high of angle and topo much pressure
Congratulations, but maybe you should ask yourself (with all the advice you were given on B&B) why it took you so long.

Maybe it's because most SR shavers tend to be a little more individualistic and want to try things "their" way.

Congratulations, but maybe you should ask yourself (with all the advice you were given on B&B) why it took you so long.

Maybe it's because most SR shavers tend to be a little more individualistic and want to try things "their" way.
well i was stretching be fore but jusat barely and in some areas. this time i stretched everywhere i shaved

The stretching thing applies primarily to straight razors, but the wrong angle and excess pressure applies to all modes of shaving. Congratulations on figuring it out.
On the rare occasion I dust off a DE, I find stretching improves the shave. I guess stretching is muscle memory at this stage.

Congrats. Stretching helps to keep the edge of the razor from making a wave of your skin. Getting that tiny roll going in front of the edge causes irritation and cuts. And when you use next to no pressure it helps this roll of skin to also not happen. Plus, when pulling/stretching in the correct direction you are helping the whiskers to stand up prouder making for easier, closer shaves.
Keep it up and soon you will be wondering why this journey took you so long to figure out. When using a DE I too find stretching to be a benefit although it is not needed as much as when S.R. shaving.

Hmmm ... I'm tempted to answer, "it doesn't work that way", but that probably means I'm misunderstanding your question.

Most traditional shavers do two or more "passes", lathering before, and going at things from different directions for each pass. The idea is to reduce the stubble with each pass until you have the result you want. Two and three passes is most common, but some do a single pass (and a very few do more than three).

During any pass the razor goes across the skin a variable number of times. Some may do a single stroke and some may do "many". The goal is typically to do as few strokes across any given section of skin as you can (to minimize possible irritation) while still getting the stubble reduction of the pass overall.

I personally make between one and 4 stokes over a section depending on the soap's slickness, the razor's sharpness, and my level of proficiency at the moment. Since I do a three-pass shave, that's between 3 and 12 strokes for any given patch of skin.

Top Bottom