What's new

I Broke My Bodum

i am very upset and distraught right now. I was doing the dishes and my Bodum slipped out of my hands and broke in little pieces. I really loved that thing since I pulled it out and started using it this summer.

As I think about what I will replace it with, I liked the idea of seeing the coffee in the container. While I realize that another glass one could suffer the same fate, I am inclined to go glass again. And I would like to find the same one if I can although it is probably vintage. I’m just ticked off. I know it’s just a thing and there are more important things to worry about, this is where my head is at right now. Lots of other baggage contributing to that but I won’t bore you with my life’s tribulations. Right now I gotta find a new one and quick.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I use the ones from Ikea. They run about ten bucks and work just as well.

I found that replacement glass is available. Feeling a little better now......sort of. I’ll check out IKEA too. Thanks.

You can get replacement glass parts for Bodum.
With a little extra effort and expense, you can get one that is double-wall insulated to keep the leftover coffee hot.

You can get replacement glass parts for Bodum.
With a little extra effort and expense, you can get one that is double-wall insulated to keep the leftover coffee hot.

I thought about that but most are stainless steel. I would like to stick with glass. And since I’m the only one drinking coffee in the morning, I always drink it before it has a chance to cool down. In addition the double wall ones are twice the cost of replacement glass. I’ll buy two replacement glass beakers in case I have the slipsies again.

Sort of different but if you've ever had coffee from an Aeropress it's hard to go back to a french press. It's 1 cup at a time but with a kettle and a grinder it's not so bad.

I thought about that but most are stainless steel. I would like to stick with glass. And since I’m the only one drinking coffee in the morning, I always drink it before it has a chance to cool down. In addition the double wall ones are twice the cost of replacement glass. I’ll buy two replacement glass beakers in case I have the slipsies again.
Yes, the double-wall glass are VERY expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Double...&keywords=bodum+replacement+glass+double+wall

I make a 34oz pot in the morning, but my mug is only 20oz ... when I go back, its not hot, but its still fresh enough to be drinkable.

Last edited:
Sort of different but if you've ever had coffee from an Aeropress it's hard to go back to a french press. It's 1 cup at a time but with a kettle and a grinder it's not so bad.

I have been making 2/3 of the Bodum 8 cup carafe every morning. That works out to a little over 20 oz of coffee and I drink it all each morning. I also like the fact that there are some fines but more importantly the oils in the finished cup. Not sure I would get that with the Aeropress.

I have been making 2/3 of the Bodum 8 cup carafe every morning. That works out to a little over 20 oz of coffee and I drink it all each morning. I also like the fact that there are some fines but more importantly the oils in the finished cup. Not sure I would get that with the Aeropress.
you can get 20 ounces from an Aeropress. It is supposed to be diluted after you plunge it through. I usually diluted mine with whole milk.

It really is an unbelievably great tasting cup of coffee, but it takes some practice to get the ratios and the timing right.

Ok. 1st In Coffee has replacement beakers for about $20. Was I’m going to buy one and then buy about $30 of whole coffee beans to reach $50 total for free shipping. Feeling much better now. Now I have to make it up to my wife for yelling at her in the heat of the moment as broken glass was all over the place. And I’ll just have to be careful going forward.

I’ve found that if you use an Able metal filter disc, or similar, instead of filter papers with an aeropress some grounds do pass through to the cup.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ouch.
I feel your pain. I broke the glads carafe for the drip coffee maker. Three times! Once I bought a
4th and a backup I've had better luck.

Do you use a number 4 paper filter with the bodum?

I’ve found that if you use an Able metal filter disc, or similar, instead of filter papers with an aeropress some grounds do pass through to the cup.

That is correct. I don’t have a problem with that. I have my Baratza dialed in so that I only see fines at the end of the last cup.

Ouch.
I feel your pain. I broke the glads carafe for the drip coffee maker. Three times! Once I bought a
4th and a backup I've had better luck.

Do you use a number 4 paper filter with the bodum?

No. I just use the metal “filter” that it comes with. I like the oils that get through that would not make it through a paper filter.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I remember researching the chemix pour over. Just looked it up again. I find it very interesting but I don't feel like I've got the time required in the morning

I remember researching the chemix pour over. Just looked it up again. I find it very interesting but I don't feel like I've got the time required in the morning

I got my French press routine down so it takes me all of about 10 minutes to have that first cup with frothed milk. Most of that time goes to boiling the water and letting the coffee steep for 4 minutes. It works and the coffee is excellent.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I got my French press routine down so it takes me all of about 10 minutes to have that first cup with frothed milk. Most of that time goes to boiling the water and letting the coffee steep for 4 minutes. It works and the coffee is excellent.
I've had the chemix in the cart several times
Do you have the special long neck kettle? Its also having another "appliance" hanging around. But you've got me looking at it again :)

I went through several Bodum glass ones! Luckily for me the UK Bodum warehouse was in my village of Bourton on the Water and they had clearance sales twice a year!

In the end, I bought one of their metal presses to save in the long run. That too has a dent now!

Not used it for quite a time though,since buying an Aeropress.

Gareth

I went through several Bodum glass ones! Luckily for me the UK Bodum warehouse was in my village of Bourton on the Water and they had clearance sales twice a year!

In the end, I bought one of their metal presses to save in the long run. That too has a dent now!

Not used it for quite a time though,since buying an Aeropress.

Gareth

I'm ordering two this morning. This way I'll have a spare in case I am a clumsy doofus again.

Top Bottom