What's new

How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop

Reviving this fantastic thread.I am planning to go this route. Anyone still using this approach to keep their razors sharp?

Out of topic. Yesterday, I put my GD razor through 0.5um crox pasted strop, 0.1 ferox balsa strop and then 0.1 diamond pasted balsa strop. I went 10 laps each as I wasn't sure on the result. And the end? ? My GD razor was so sharp that it reminded me a shavette. If the shave was a tiny more comfortable, it would have been a fantastic shave. This experiment has convinced me to go to build a balsa strop system as the one called "The Method".
I wonder if either switching the order of the 0.1 FeOx and the 0.1 diamond, or skipping the 0.1 diamond altogether, might make for a more comfortable edge?

@albsat I use diamond balsa to maintain my edge. In fact, I still use The Method from bevel set to finish.

I have found my preference is not for the uber sharp edges the method is capable of and adjust accordingly. I use the razor until it meets the combination of sharp and comfort that I like and maintain the razor at that level.

Just a reminder that diamond balsa can maintain an edge, but won't hone a dull razor.

I wonder if either switching the order of the 0.1 FeOx and the 0.1 diamond, or skipping the 0.1 diamond altogether, might make for a more comfortable edge?
Today I shaved with the same razor, and it was sharp as hell again. Tomorrow I will try your suggestion. Meanwhile I found a seller from China who sells balsa and one in etsy that sells diamond paste. I must build this 3 balsa strop system.

What did you try from China?
This...back in the late 2019
a.jpg

Top Bottom