What's new

How to size replacement knots?

I have a butterscotch handle that I'm doing a restore on. The hole is exactly 22 mm in diameter. Dumb question: does that mean I use a 22 mm knot? Or are you supposed to use a knot somewhat smaller than the hole?

Good question. I've been wanting to re-knot an old handle, but I'm not sure how to get the proper sized knot, so any helpful tips would be appreciated.

It depends.....

Mostly for a 22mm hole you will likely find that a 20mm knot works well.

It completely depends on how low you are setting the knot though. I tend to go for lofts of 40-45mm and therefore set 20mm knots low enough that they can be a hard squeeze into a 22mm hole. If you set higher though a 22mm knot may be a better choice. Overstuffed vs standard stuffed or fan also plays some role in the fit.

If you know what loft you are shooting for, it might be easier to choose a single knot. Now, I generally order both sizes if I have a question.

The knot should be the same size as the hole. If the hole is 22mm then you need a 22m knot. If you are in between knot sizes, it's worth sanding the hole a little to move up a knot size as opposed to stuffing in too much glue to fit a smaller knot.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The knot should be the same size as the hole. If the hole is 22mm then you need a 22m knot. If you are in between knot sizes, it's worth sanding the hole a little to move up a knot size as opposed to stuffing in too much glue to fit a smaller knot.

+1

The knot is usually exactly 22mm or a tiny bit smaller. If you buy a 20mm for a 22mm, you will end up with a gap around the knot, it's not much but a brush looks better when the knot if full!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
If you want to set the knot at full loft, you need to get a knot in the size of the hole, also a 22 mm knot for the 22 mm hole. If you want to set it deeper, to end up with a shorter loft, I usually take a size smaller, so a 20 mm for a 22 mm hole. Remember, these knots are never exact the measurements, I just measured a few knots, and they were all slightly undersized.

Top Bottom