What's new

How to load shaving soap

Very informative, was worried for nothing. Just ordered my first 3 croaps and not sure if loading from tub would be the best way to do it. Guess whatever works for you.

I scoop croaps and creams with a little spoon, and grate a bit of my harder soaps. Then I press that into my lathering bowl. I don’t really like leaving my soaps wet
I was thinking of doing the same thing. But I would rather enjoy and savor that glorious moment rather than worry too much. As long as croaps do not go bad like what many others say here then its all good. But of course nothing is right or wrong, as always whatever works for you.

Assuming the author of this 8 year old thread is still active... or even alive....try a shave stick and synthetic brush. Although you shouldn't be getting mold on soap regardless of how you load.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Wow, this is really an old one.

I suspect we complicate loading the brush and making lather beyond what's necessary. You need to get some soap on your brush, in your bowl or on your face. It doesn't matter if you use a damp brush or one that's soaking wet, or a spoon or your finger or a wood coffee stirrer. Then make lather by combining soap and water in a ratio that pleases you and gives you good results.

Regular shave soaps are quite alkaline 8-10 pH which will inhibit mold growth. Now I do know that some people have had soaps go bad, but those seems to have been the softer soaps like Cella etc. Especially if you buy the huge 1 kg block of it. I would just say you can put on the lid once the soap is dry. Personally I use one soap for extended periods so I never put on the lid.

I'll press my soaps in my favorite ceramic bowl, soak my brush, and add a bit of hot water to soap, in a few min. shake brush and swirl brush on soap adding a few drops of water if needed. 1 Soap in a bowl, 1 brush, great soap, easy. Rinse unused soap out of bowl put on shelf for the next day, no cover needed, wash out brush, clean razor, keep it simple

I used to scoop soap and smear it into the bottom of the bowl. With this method, I always ended up wasting some soap as I always scooped more than necessary for 3 passes. Despite soaps I get being cheap, I don't like to waste. I could try fine tuning the amount of soap I scoop.

But instead, I dampen the brush, swirl it well a few times and then transfer to bowl, add some water to bowl and my lather is just as good if not better than scooping out of bowl. Since I use just a damp brush rather than a really wet one, my soap tin doesn't have much residual water left. For me, with this method, I tend to waste less soap.

Regardless, I let the soap tin in the open for a few hours if I notice some moisture in the sides.

Top Bottom