What's new

How To Get Eggs Not To Stick To Stainless Pan

I nabbed some Paderno stainless pans in amazing shape at a garage sale for next to nothing, I tried a few tricks short of spicing the pan, ive tried more heat, as well as less heat, always with butter. tried to make a couple of omelettes but the center is still sticking and wont let me slide it out of the pan, it keeps breaking apart on me. Ive only ever done eggs in non stick, or cast iron, not so used to these stainless guys.

I've never liked stainless for just that reason.

If I'm cooking something that needs to not stick, I use my cast iron.

Try preheating the pan, then adding the oil and immediately adding the eggs. That is; don't let the oil heat up first. If you're using butter, melt it in the microwave before adding it to the pan.

Or... use cast iron... ;)

As far as eggs go I usually use a non stick pan. I do own some All Clad stainless steel pans that I use for everything else.

With these pans I've always been told to heat up the pan, then add the oil to the hot pan and then the food. Adding the oil to the hot pan is the key to keep things from sticking but eggs are tough even doing it this way.

If I put the pan on the oven and add the oil to the pan right away before heating it up then it sticks for sure.

I never use my stainless for eggs, for exactly that reason. Heck, I clicked on this hoping for advice.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This guys has a pretty good video and it's similar to what I do regardless of the type of pan:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive read a restaurant cold advice to slice it and leave it eggs only... but if i were to have an eggs only pan then Id just get a non stick or cast iron anyway.... So it would seem im going to need another pan lol

I do most of my cooking with cast iron on an induction hotplate, but even so, I do get some foods that stick to the pan ... nothing that a quick spray at the sink and a wipe with a paper towel won't remove, and then I season it with olive oil for the next meal.

I do have a non-stick pan that I like to use for eggs and a few other things that are cooked with butter ... and I even get sticking with that, too. The main reason I use this pan is that cooking with butter tends to discolor the cast iron. I reserve the iron for cooking meats and vegetables, the non-stick is for anything that uses butter. And this is the only pan I have where I have a lid that fits snug and tight.

I'm not sure what kind of coating is on this non-stick pan ... I've been using it for 3.5 years and it is still in good shape, no chipping or tears in the coating.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what you cook or what kind of pan you use, you're going to have to put up with food that sticks. All you can do is try and get it to stick LESS, but you can't eliminate it entirely.

With these pans I've always been told to heat up the pan, then add the oil to the hot pan and then the food. Adding the oil to the hot pan is the key to keep things from sticking but eggs are tough even doing it.

I've heard this advice before, but forgotten about it ... I'll have to start doing it again.

The oil will be up to temp when you see it start to shimmer ... but if it starts to smoke, its gone too far and you should throw it out and start all over again.

This guys has a pretty good video and it's similar to what I do regardless of the type of pan:

Gotta admit, it did work. The problem is that I dropped dead from hunger waiting for my egg to cook. I'm not quite sure if he fried it, or dehydrated it. :tongue_sm

Last edited by a moderator:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I sort of burn a little veg oil in the pan, and that becomes a base for seasoning, similar to cast iron. And obviously it doesn't get scrubbed out. Sortta works. But best to just use the real cast iron in the first place.

I sort of burn a little veg oil in the pan, and that becomes a base for seasoning, similar to cast iron. And obviously it doesn't get scrubbed out. Sortta works. But best to just use the real cast iron in the first place.

this.. you can temper a steel pan similar to a cast iron skillet.
-pre heat oven to 350.. coat pan with oil..and upside down in the oven for an hour.
-you can do the same on stove top ..cover with lid..works but not as well as the oven.

clean it just as you would a cast iron pan,which means no steel wool.works pretty well for me...
I personally prefer olive oil or canola oil for frying..

I like to give my stainless skillets a nice, healthy coat of cast iron before cooking eggs in them.

Attachments

• $IMG_0324.jpg
    $IMG_0324.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 238
Cooking with stainless steel is a learned skill. If I can do it, so can you.

To start, go here: www.allclad.com.

Check out the FAQ section. This will establish the basics of cooking with stainless. Always preheat the pan, and not to core of the sun temperatures; my burner never goes over a medium setting when cooking with stainless. You are controlling and maintaining the temperature of the pan, and a good stainless piece of cookware will hold and maintain an even heat. You then add the oil or butter, using just enough heat to coat the bottom of the pan evenly, but not burning it. Again, keep the heat source on low to medium.

Add the food. You should hear a gentle sizzle. Cracking or popping sounds mean your heat is too high. This next part is important. LEAVE THE FOOD ALONE. This is sometimes hard to do; you want to start playing with and flipping stuff right away, but you have to overcome this habit. I do my eggs over easy, and I just watch the edges of the whites as it slowly cooks toward the yolk. Time and gentle heat will separate the food from the surface of the pan naturally.

It helps to watch some youtube videos, but it's up to you to know the difference between good advice and nonsense. You might also want to try a good cleaning of the pans, since you bought them used. I would use a gentle stainless cleaner, like Bar Keeper's Friend.

Stainless is not cast iron. Seasoning is unnecessary. You are not polymerizing a teflon surface on the pan, just leaving a dirty film of oil. Your seasoning is added prior to each cook in the form of oil or butter.

Don

Geez, Louise. That's a lot of time, trouble, and TLC to avoid getting a $10-15 skillet.

I kind of agree with you. I can get the same results in about one-third the time. He is nursing it out a bit.

Getting better and faster just takes practice.

Don

I keep a jar with about a quarter inch of peanut oil (any high temp burn oil is fine) with a pastry brush in it.

Brush the pan with oil and all is fine. This leaves a thin coating not a blob like trying to pour in oil. If you are cooking something that requires oil like sauteing veggies, then pour some in.

Never use any soap or abrasive to clean, only a natural fiber brush (tampico brush). If you burn something on, let the pan soak for half hour or so filled with water, then use the brush to clean before drying and putting it away.

This has always worked for me.

Top Bottom