What's new

How often should you hone?

I pity the poor OP who only wanted to know when he should consider honing his razor.. Some serious thread drift here.
At least I feel good about answering the OP's question as best I could. I am learning to hone one razor that was purchased as new. I am not learning to hone any potential blade that someone sends me. I am then going to apply this knowledge to the other razors I own. Honing is not something I intend to do commercially, I intend to do it as it is my responsibility to keep my tools sharp. I just do no accept the thesis that razor honing is much harder than freehand knife honing. I have obtained much better results much faster honing razors than I ever did a knife when I first started. I appreciate everyone's commitment to obtaining the finest edge possible to shave a face, and I am a rookie at all of it. But with the nature of the steels being applied to straight razor shaving applications, there is only so much that honing can do to improve the edge. The carbides in the old steels are of variable size, and this affects how sharp you can get it before The carbides break away. Why razor makers have not applied some of the modern powdered steels to razor making is not clear to me.

To the OP, the characteristics of the steel along with the uses and abuses that the edge has been subject to will dictate when it will require re-honing. I tried to give you the best answer that was obtained from my researching a variety of sources, and somewhat from my own experience. I got about 30 very comfortable shaves from my razor before doing anything to it, and these were the first shaves of my life with a straight. I took this razor to the stones in order to try out some other stones and techniques in honing, not because the razor's performance had deteriorated appreciably requiring attention. With a skilled shaving hand, well over 100 comfortable shaves have been obtained from a single honing. As with everything, YMMV. But, I believe that you can give your razor a very comfortable and serviceable edge on it if the performance deteriorates if you have the correct tools to do so.

I guess it depends on how high you set the bar. If you are asking folks to put these edges daily on their face I think the bar should be 11.

I think therein lies the key issue - if I want to hone razors for others, to be a honemeister, then I should hone a razor at least once a day. If I am using my own razor and want to keep it good, should I hone it daily? I don't think so - otherwise people wouldn't count the time between hones because everyday would be a hone day.

I think that the op falls in to the latter category, hence the initial responses that said 'when stripping doesn't cut it anymore, hone it'

I answered the question as best I could too. None of my razors have ever needed to be re-honed, unless I dropped them or banged them on the sink. Never (. . . as in almost 2 years).

Last edited:
But,,, the OP is new to honing and trying to learn how to get a consistently smooth shave. My recommendation stands. Hone as often as you can. Once you know the bevel is set, then you won't be going below 8k so you are not going to wear out the razor. You are simply working with your finishing skills on film or stone, synth or natural. Each time the goal should be a smoother shave than the last. Once you achieve the goal you can hone as seldom as your razor allows. But in my opinion this quest is more than a year.

I say to the OP. Do what feels right to you. There's nothing wrong with that. If your learning how to hone then hone every day like BUCA says. If you want to take the "lets see how long this edge will last challenge", then do that. If you don't have the time or get lazy, then send your razors out get honed, when YOU feel they need. Or just keep buying shave ready razors. :lol:(I like that one. I wish I could do that LOL).

It's fun reading threads like this one. I love all these different opinions, they are great. I love reading them, In a sense, it gives you ideas based off what you read, of what you should do, can do, or not do. I'm new at this also, and what I like to do is, keep at least one of my straights freshly honed from a Honemiester, so I can judge how good I'm honing my own edges. Or when one of my razors need touching up.

Very good advice to have one around as a gold standard when you're learning. Finding and using a honing buddy is an exceptional idea as well. But you will be down one razor while it is at your buddy's house. Either way, multiple razors are called for. But they don't have to be expensive ones.

I think it takes a dozen or so hones at least per natural to try the different combinations. Thats what I meant by honing and shaving a fresh edge daily. And the dozen doesnt cover everything of course. Add 5 or 6 stones and a few different nagura sets and the dozen becomes many more possibilities, But you dont have to and not every method works with every stone or razor. Can you get an edge down pat much faster? Sure, there may be a lot more stones left unturned(pun intended) but if the edge does it for ya, then leaving well enough alone is fine. regarding levels and numbers, im not quite sure how that works. If Im honing for laser sharp and super keen, and your looking for buttery then how does one grade that? A successful hone is getting a razor to a definite shave ready state. But that means many things to many people. Hht should be excellent regarding all of them. And thats not even consistent among us so. Have fun guys and play if you want, if your nailing it and thats enough for you and its a damn good edge then so be it.

If you learn to use a good quality clean strop well you will visit the hone very seldom. Then, you'll also be enjoying the shaves as much as the journey.

Regards

Chasmo

If you learn to use a good quality clean strop well you will visit the hone very seldom. Then, you'll also be enjoying the shaves as much as the journey.

Regards

Chasmo
+1. But Ive had great luck with my star shaving big daddy! I have one vintage russian that is my go to, but 2 "higher quality" 3 inch strops cupped on me. And a 2 inch start shaving as well. Great value IMO. The strop is definitely your friend. ANd some vintage linen will keep you shaving a long time

I only own one straight razor, an antique Genco brand. I only use it occasionally as a hobby, and I have shaved with it probably about a dozen times over the last few months. But I am at the point where I can get an SAS with minimal irritation. So, wondering, how often should you hone? Every couple of weeks, every couple of months? Every 10 shaves? Every 100 shaves? Since I am new at this, it is a little difficult for me to tell when the blade is dull, or when it's just my poor technique. I own a small barber sized water hone that I've used a couple times that seems to work well.
A lot of ppl rarely go down to the 1k, only touch up on Crome ox, than like a Naniwa 8k-12k

I say to the OP. Do what feels right to you. There's nothing wrong with that. If your learning how to hone then hone every day like BUCA says. If you want to take the "lets see how long this edge will last challenge", then do that. If you don't have the time or get lazy, then send your razors out get honed, when YOU feel they need. Or just keep buying shave ready razors. :lol:(I like that one. I wish I could do that LOL).

It's fun reading threads like this one. I love all these different opinions, they are great. I love reading them, In a sense, it gives you ideas based off what you read, of what you should do, can do, or not do. I'm new at this also, and what I like to do is, keep at least one of my straights freshly honed from a Honemiester, so I can judge how good I'm honing my own edges. Or when one of my razors need touching up.
Your face will give you instant feedback on your edges. No need for a comparative blade, unless you want a backup in case things go sideways.

"need" to hone because of edge deterioration? I got 135 shaves off one hone.

I don't see how everyone could not get that many shaves. Stropping istechnique paramount, you need to have good stropping technique.

When you first start shaving with a straight you will need to hone a lot more.

I did not realize how old this thread was until I read a few of the posts :).

Alfredo makes a good point. When I started my journey, I was touching up my edges every 3 to 5 shaves. 1.5 years later it's more like at least 10. I assume the result of my honing and stropping technique improving. I have a few razors with probably over 25 shaves on them that are still going strong. The linen on my Tony Miller may help as well.

If i use a de blade and do a minimal amount of prep, just lather up and go, i get 2 shaves off a blade. If i shower and do the usual prep i get 4-5 shaves of the same blade. The same principle applies to SR's. Technique and the amount of prep you are willing to do makes a big difference, in addition to how it was hones etc.
My edges are honed allot more then they need to, but i like to hone, and i like the feeling of a "new" edge.

Top Bottom