What's new

How OCD are we?

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
What most people describe, joke, or trivialize as OCD is nowhere near real OCD. Actual OCD is debilitating and affects quality of life.

Just like being sad isn’t always depression, being organized or particular isn’t obsessive compulsion.

Yes, I have an actual diagnosis of anxiety and OCD.

What most people describe, joke, or trivialize as OCD is nowhere near real OCD. Actual OCD is debilitating and affects quality of life.

Just like being sad isn’t always depression, being organized or particular isn’t obsessive compulsion.

Yep. And it can also be mostly obsessive, like intrusive thoughts, and not compulsively repeating certain behaviors — although it can certainly be that.

I include myself in this group. As an example I had a couple of white frosting lids on my two Old Spice shaving mugs. I went into our pantry to exchanged them for a red and a blue lid because i thought they looked better . Is that a form of OCD? (Maybe) is it going to negatively affect my life. No, unless my wife finds out. Then I will get chided about my "shaving hobby".
I'm certainly not comparing it to a true medical diagnosis with a severity that causes trouble for a person in the way that negatively affects their life.

You can have OCD to different degrees. I have it bad and it messes up my live. My sister also has it but not so bad so it doesn't really bother her.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think I'm a pinch OCD. I like to keep my stuff clean and orderly, but I have never:

- disassembled and cleaned my razor after a shave, unless it was time for a new blade
- color coordinated my equipment or software
- blow-dried or combed any brush
- plucked any "rogue" hairs from a brush
- flipped my blade after any shave
- used a nylon washer on any razor

I am however QUITE guilty of compulsive consumption of shiny things, and own far too many razors, blades, soaps, creams, and brushes, and other unnecessary stuff.
Uh Oh.... I've done all those things.... though I only use a DE razor blade once these days.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I agree with @luvmysuper 's post above. True OCD is or can be debilitating.....

One of the things for which I have a lot of disdain is wasting inordinate amounts of time looking for something. That's why I prefer to be organized. My Dad taught me.... every tool has a place, so use them, clean them and put them back where they belong. His advice has served me well over the years.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I had to read through quickly to make sure I wasn't a repeat!

To the OP, I don't think it is OCD really, but this kind of stuff tends to attract the collector type personality.
Collectors can be pretty focused at times, but I don't know that it is compulse, though it may at times be obsessive!

Here's a picture to drive your OCD friends crazy.

That's perfect! :)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’m not OCD, I just hyper-fixate and judge myself harshly. If I could figure out the insurance code so a diagnosis isn’t $600+, I’d get all my anxiety disorders and neurological divergences catalogued. Sadly, I think it’d be a few hours of testing and the psychiatrist would just write “weirdo” on the form.

not all of us have brushes in every shade across the colour spectrum.

You can get that covered with a single brush:

bbti-bic-succes.png

Otherwise, you’ll be in a prism of your own making.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have no idea about OCD, but the people posting those pictures are meticulous and proud of what they collected and how they have used it. To me that beats most collecting hobbies where the collections often sit in boxes, unused. Being meticulous comes in many forms. I'll never have a brush with a colored handle. I cannot imagine taking a razor part except to change blades. I'll never choose my soap and aftershave to match or coordinate scents. However, I am very specific and picky about what I use and how I use it. My photographs are boring.

The term has come to be used loosely to describe nearly any meticulous behavior. Count me among the ignorant mass of people who unknowingly may be insulting those truly afflicted. It isn't intentional, though I suppose still hurtful to those who are struggling.

Uh Oh.... I've done all those things.... though I only use a DE razor blade once these days.

I never judge, and do my best to filter my responses to not offend.

You do you, I'll do me...and we can happily coexist. 🙂

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
As a group would you say we are OCD?
I notice that in the "Shave of the Day" and other similar threads, that we color coordinate our hardware and software for the posted pictures. Is this my imagination? I don't really think so.
Shaving is one of the few things I am not OCD about. I'm very basic; just straight razor, ARKO, a boar brush I have used for 13 years and VIBR or OS after shave.

Gentleman

I get this thread was not meant to be offensive in anyway. Continue to have fun with the initials. Continue to enjoy this thread. I have read those initials being used throughout this forum. This is not a negative outlook on this forum. I enjoy this forum on a daily basis and will continue too.

Please. Think about the following when using the initials OCD. I know this could make me a buzz kill. I cannot hold back. I challenge you to learn what OCD really is.

I have worked with the severely mentally ill for over 25+ years. I just want to throw this out there only to provide education and not judgement. As many as 2 out of 5 individuals with OCD have shown significant occupational impairment and have been unable to work due to psychiatric symptoms causing them permanent disability. OCD negatively affects interactions with others in the outside world. It negatively affects their daily abilities to meet their basic care needs and their ability to enjoy time with loved ones.

Having OCD tendencies is not a choice. There is nothing pleasant about it. Those with OCD experience on a daily basis, intrusive thoughts telling them to do tasks, they desperately do not want to do repeat. The illness tells them if they do not perform those tasks, something unpleasant will happen to them or their loved ones.

1 in 40 have OCD. It is the 4th most common mental illness. More than 1/10 with OCD will attempt suicide during his/her lifetime. The suicide rate is 10x higher in those with OCD.

Wet shaving can be a wanted compulsion, that for a short time during the, relieves OCD symptoms. I know this currently to be true amongst sufferers. OCD sufferers enjoy this forum on a daily basis.

Note: in most cases razor blades are not a threat to the user or to others.

Hi,

I just shave. It's a daily chore. Must shave or die, actually. Firefighting air masks and whiskers don't mix well.

I have all this photographic equipment. Medium Format digital, light sets, light box, etc. And I don't use any of that for shaving gear. Cell phone does that well.

Oops. That's an old one.

There we are. The new one. The brush changed. RV had a Contributor's SE a couple years ago. The earlier one was from 2013. I also put out my Dad's Post War Tech and brush on display.

The Old Type was my Grandfather's. The Fasan is what I use most days. It stinks for sidebrun trimming, though. Hence Grandpa's Old Type. The Lady Gillette is my wife's.

The soap is half of a glycerine puck and half of a tallow puck and what I've been using for a long time now. The Lubriderm is what I use for after shave.

So, no getting carried away with pictures even though I could. :)

Stan

Last edited:
Top Bottom