What's new

How long does a straight razor shave take?

First straight shave took almost an hour. Thought I'd go for it and did countless passes until everything was as smooth as glass. Must add I have a goatee and mustache. Trimmed off about 5 mins on each subsequent shave. Down to about 35 mins now and that time span is fine with me. Regarding your second question, I've never cut myself. Just a few weepers. No real ingrowns either and I do skin stretching.

Last edited:
10 minutes. 2 passes - WTG and ATG. I strop the night before, and shave right out of the shower.

Just remember, it's not a race. It's personal ZEN time for me. Meant to be savored.

Yeah, I must admit that I hate stropping before or during my shave. I tend to wait until night-time, when I'm at a bit of a loose end and then I'll do a few therapeutic passes while watching TV. Got all my straights as sharp as I could over the last couple of nights, then stored my vintages. A great hour or so spent!

Thanks for the input everyone. Next question will of course have to be how many straight razor shavers out there are left with huge *** pirate scars on there cheeks from their razors.

I don't have a pirate scar. Yet...

Start to finish is 15-30 minutes including cleanup.

Thanks for the input everyone. Next question will of course have to be how many straight razor shavers out there are left with huge *** pirate scars on there cheeks from their razors.

I've only cut myself once, under my chin, but it was because I stupidly put the razor straight rather than in angle (I wasn't looking).

It didn't leave a huge scar (actually you can't see it from the front).

If you're careful you'll be fine.

It takes me 10-15 mins not counting stropping or face prep. No pirate scars yet just a few nicks that happened when I was rushing.
If I'm in a hurry I use a SE or DE or REALLY in a hurry a cartridge.

I've found the time can vary. If I don't have at least 20 minutes to devote to shaving in the morning, I'll wait till the evening where it normally takes about 30 minutes. I have found that if I get a new soap or cream, I'll take longer and relish the experience a little more.

I had to buy a dry box and some dessicant to store the DE's since they get no use now.

Yes, you can save time by stropping the evening before. I often do this. (I also do a few passes in the morning, just to ensure the edge is fresh. Probably not necessary, but it can't hurt.)

I shave right after my shower. Three passes takes less than 15 minutes, not much longer than a DE.

I agree with this. 15 minutes is about right. I tend to skip the XTG and go WTG, ATG, ATG and then some detail work. The straight shave is so superior in every way.

15 minutes on average. 30 minutes if I want to really unwind and enjoy myself. 5 minutes if I'm in a hurry and just do one pass (which actually gives me a presentable shave for the entire workday).

I ussally take about 3~4 minutes per pass.

Depending on the shave it may take a total of 20~30 for all of the bathroom ablutions (shower shave hair) to come to an end.

My morning ritual is usually very short.

1. Put brush to hot water and some water to the soap.
2. Splash some warm water to face.
3. Brush teeth
4. Splash some warm water to face
5. Strop 20 linen -> 20 leather
6. Brush face with warm water and dry brush
7. Make lather
8. WTG
9. ATG
10. Clean and dry everything
11. Shower
12. Some face balm or Hydrocortisone cream

Takes 10-15 min. if I am not too tired. Stropping in the morning feels very slow :p

15 minutes on average. 30 minutes if I want to really unwind and enjoy myself. 5 minutes if I'm in a hurry and just do one pass (which actually gives me a presentable shave for the entire workday).

Same here. Reassuring how most of us are in the same ballpark. Expect the first bit to take longer. But, it will speed up soon enough.

30 seconds for a two pass WTG XTG shave with bowl lathering and a hot towel treatment, and clean up time included. Please don't ask for proof.

In all seriousness though, I take 20-30 minutes, but I always use a hot towel prep and two passes. Shaving straight out of the shower and skipping the hot towel, as well as maybe only doing one pass should put me in the 10-20 minute bracket. Not too far off from a DE.

I think about 20 mins, these days I take my sweet time, a bit of music, plenty of lather, plenty of stropping.

As a loose rule I shave in the evenings, and I can always find the time.

I'm less than a month in, but I already have my shave time down to 15-20 minutes for 2-3 passes. It probably helps that I've been DE shaving for over a year, so I have the prep down. The only thing I'm having to learn at this point is technique. I'm sure that has put me a little ahead of the curve.

My "two pass don't be late for work" shave takes 15-20 minutes. My weekend luxury shave, which involves sipping coffee between passes while listening to music is a 45 minute experience. Five minutes of that involves selection of razor, soap and AS. The GF says I look like a debutante selecting her clothes for the evening.

Top Bottom