What's new

How do you knot your tie?

Bet I haven't worn a suit and tie 5 times in the last 10 years. But I did get a new suit and tie for my daughter's upcoming wedding and will be going with what I remember from years ago, a Full Windsor. Everything else looks lopsided on me and I'd be fiddling with it all day making it look worse.

The Quintuple Windsor cracked me up. On another note, i'm going to try the Plattsburg tomorrow. I never heard of that knot till today. I saw someone today wearing an eDiety / Atlantic Knot in a two color solid tie and it looked silly.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't have a pencil neck . . . a half windsor . . . for most ties I buy these days . . . maybe my neck was smaller or ties were longer in the past . . . I prefer a full windsor.

Half-Windsor. My OCD can't handle the lop-sided look of the 4-in-hand and the Full-Windsor is just too bulky for me.

I’ve tried the Pratt recently after not having worn it for years. Now that I’m wearing extra-long ties, the Pratt seems to work well, as I can tie it on a wider part of the tie and get a slightly larger knot. It’s very easy to get a nice dimple with the Pratt.

Wore a spread collar today, but the tie I wanted to wear is pretty thick, and I could not get a Windsor of a reasonable size out of it. Too big.

So I switched to my old fav. Pretty much the only knot I used for years, if not decades--the Pratt/Shelby. It worked great even with the spread collar. I agree with Obsessed. Easy to get a good dimple. Very versatile knot.

I tried a half windsor today. It looked too lopsided for my liking so I went back to the full. Ill have to test it out again and some other knots as well. The pratt has me intrigued

When I was a kid, my grandfather taught me the Double Windsor knot and lectured me to never knot a tie any other way for as long as I lived. I enjoy that connection to my grandfather still to this day. I have heard that the Double Windsor is a "stuffy" or "snobby" knot. Still, I like it. I find it to be more balanced and makes it easier to dimple the tie properly.

How do you knot your tie? Any reason why you knot it in your own particular way?

Somebody probably answered this by now, but different collar styles are traditionally worn with different knots. I usually wear button downs or spread collars. With the button downs I wear the traditional four in hand. With a spread collar I usually wear a half Windsor knot. I prefer fairly thick (woven silk) ties, so a full Windsor knot just feels too big to me, even with a spread collar.

I don't know the name of it. Around, up, through, tighten. Uber simple. Keeps the slender appearance of my look.

I tried the matrix knot once in my room. Maybe I'll try it again with with a skinnier tie. I'm not holding my breath though.

Generally I prefer the Full Windsor knot. Especially with a spread collar. But I have been known to use the Half Windsor and the Four-in-hand as well. It really depends on the tie and the collar. I actually like to wear a bow-tie too. And not the pre-tied ones.

I'm a pretty skinny guy and usually wear point collar shirts, and most of the time a four in hand will look best. It's also the tie I've known how to tie for my entire life, so I can tie it very well. I've tried doing the half windsor, but it either doesn't fit with my clothes or I cannot do it well enough.

Double windsor, because that's what I was taught from the start. I want to try a few new ones though. I am a heckuva lot taller now, and the DW seems to take up lots of tie. I have some talls, but the selection is often more limited, and while I can do it with a regular length and use a tie bar to keep the tail tucked, it is harder to get a decent knot because you are knotting more of the narrow part of the tie.

Top Bottom