What is in your Martini? Pick 2.

• Gin

• Vodka

• Olives

• Lemon

Results are only viewable after voting.
U

Utopian

I used to bartend also, guy once ask me just to wave the cork over the glass.

mike
Yeah, I had a couple of those too, but this guy's way was a little more dry, because a few molecules of vermouth might have wafted down from the cork...
:lol:

Bombay Sapphire, 3 oz.
olive brine, 1 oz.
shaken with ice
serve in a chilled martini glass with 3 garlic stuffed olives (anchovy or blue cheese stuffed is OK, too)

Good to see some love for Bombay Sapphire here. I polished off a bottle this evening, with tonic water and lime. Strangely not as mind blowing as the last time I tried it some time ago, and it was truly exceptional then. Maybe I used lemon instead.

On the rocks in an Old Fashioned glass.

4:1 or 6:1

Orange bitters and a twist.

(I'll just assume that no one even considers putting vodka in a Martini....)

Same way Castlecraver loves his: Vodka and Lemon (though he's been known to throw in some cranberry juice from time to time :smile:).

Ahem. A martini is made with gin. Vermouth to taste, but not absolutely necessary. Olive garnish if desired. If you disagree, you are wrong.

I absolutely abhor drinks being called "martinis" simply because they're served strained and "up."

Enjoy your new title. :001_smile

Rant!

Shaken, not stirred makes sense if you are making a real martini using gin. Gin goes cloudy when stirred. Shaken keeps it clear.

Vodka does not go cloudy when stirred, so the 007 mantra is nonsense. Besides, what sort of Englishman would ask for a vodka martini anyway?

Ahem. A martini is made with gin. Vermouth to taste, but not absolutely necessary. Olive garnish if desired. If you disagree, you are wrong.

I absolutely abhor drinks being called "martinis" simply because they're served strained and "up."

Enjoy your new title. :001_smile

I'm just surprised it took you so long :lol:

With you on this one brother, a billion percent. I'm sick of anything and everything else being called a martini. It's not.

3 part gin (hendricks or ten) 1 part vermouth, 3 olives. I'll have it dirty or stuffed olives with cheaper gin, but prefer not to taint the good stuff.

Them are some not-so-dry martinis. Tanq Ten 2.5 oz, vermouth 0.5 oz, no brine, 2 olives from a jar that has half of the brine poured out and replaced with gin.

While I don't generally order/make 'em (give me Beefeater 5-to-1 with orange bitters), what on earth is people's problem with Vodka Martinis? I mean, they've only been around for what, 40-50 years or so? Doesn't that make them a little bit traditional? In that picture of Sean Connery posted upthread he is holding a bottle of Smirnoff, for chrissakes! There's absolutely nothing wrong with a well-made Vodka Martini. I suspect many of the people who denigrate them don't have anywhere near the depth of boozing experience under their belts needed to make such sweeping pronouncements.

While I don't generally order/make 'em (give me Beefeater 5-to-1 with orange bitters), what on earth is people's problem with Vodka Martinis? I mean, they've only been around for what, 40-50 years or so? Doesn't that make them a little bit traditional? In that picture of Sean Connery posted upthread he is holding a bottle of Smirnoff, for chrissakes! There's absolutely nothing wrong with a well-made Vodka Martini. I suspect many of the people who denigrate them don't have anywhere near the depth of boozing experience under their belts needed to make such sweeping pronouncements.

The drink you're referring to is a Kangaroo. It has always been a Kangaroo, even when Sean Connery held one up and called it a martini. The drink Bond purists point to as evidence that the vodka martini exists is in fact 3:1 gin to vodka. Nothing will ever make a Coke a Mountain Dew, and nothing will make a kangaroo a martini. :thumbup1:

EDIT: Not even a kangaroo bartender.

Last edited:

I don't have a problem with others drinking what they like. The reason I'll never choose a vodka martini though is because a good vodka should be tasteless, making it a nice base in drinks where other elements bring the flavor, but it doesn't stand up on it's own for me.

Top Bottom