What's new

How dangerous is a straight?

You guys are making me nervous! I'm being PIFed a straight and I want to try it, but am nervous because I want shaving to be relaxing fun, not a nerve-wracking, dangerous chore!

You guys are making me nervous! I'm being PIFed a straight and I want to try it, but am nervous because I want shaving to be relaxing fun, not a nerve-wracking, dangerous chore!

Don't sweat it man. As a newbie, all you're going to do is get a few nicks and maybe some burn while you improve your technique.

It's after you've been doing it for a few months that you begin to get complacent and careless... that's when the nasty cuts can happen.
In my case, I decided that it was time to yank an ear-hair. I used my left hand.
I removed the hair. What I forgot was my right hand was still in front of my face, holding the straight.
When the hair popped, my left hand of course moved away... nice little cut on the side of my left wrist.

Ah, don't worry about it. The worst case scenario is something like what happened to me. The tip of my razor nicked my right eyeball and blood started gushing. I immediately put my blade down. Put my right hand over my eye and with the left hand grabbed and then inserted the tip of my styptic pencil into my cornea. The bleeding stopped almost immediately! I healed up pretty well. My wife likes the leather eye patch, she says it makes me look Johnny Depp.

:lol:

Just kidding around, of course. All in good fun!

$elle_driver02.jpg

It's not for scaredy cats, if your that worried about it, dont try it. It can, and is done all the time. I've nicked my ear, and opened up my cheek once when I let my mind wander. You have to be mindfull, you cant day dream with a razor to your face. It's not as easy as a DE, no way. However you can, with time, get a great shave. If you still want to try it, I suggest you read up on it, make sure your razor is sharp, take a nice long shower, use a good soap/cream, and shave your cheeks, only. If your not too discouraged at the point try under the chin next time and when you feel confident try the chin, and under your nose. Good luck if you try straights. Keep us posted.

you will be fine. just know your face, moles, old scars,high spots etc,------- this is a certain spot, i just keep nailing, a 2 day'er and a 1 month'er

Attachments

• $photo.JPG
    $photo.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I may, or may not, have a small scar on one of my cheeks. I can't tell if it's a scar or just INCREDIBLY slow healing. I got it by switching up my technique. I shave WTG then ATG and decided one day "Hey... everyone on B&B says you should go WTG then XTG, then ATG!" so I tried it. Why? No reason. My previous routine was working really well. Went to make a pass with an off hand with a new techniqe made a little slice instead. Moral of the story... don't start doing things different just because... stick with what works.

Top Bottom