What's new

How dangerous is a straight?

How dangerous are straight razors? As I have never used one myself and might want to get one in the future I'd first like to know how dangerous the can be for novices like me. I mean can you do serious damage to your face if your not using it correctly or is the worst like a nick like from another razor?
:behead:

Don't drop it.

If you drop it, don't try to catch it, and make sure your toes are not under it.

Don't shave naked. Minimum, slippers and a towel.

Any serious injury that's been reported here has been the result of attempts at catching a falling blade. Same goes for pocket and kitchen knives... never try to catch any falling sharp object.
I'd dare say that more facial trauma is reported from DE razors than from straights, but that could be due to a number of factors, first and foremost, there are more DE/SE shavers on the forum than straight shavers, and perhaps straight shavers tend to be more careful because the straight doesn't even have the appearance of being gentle.

When I shaved exclusively with carts, I'd get a nick that was bad enough to need a styptic maybe once every couple of weeks.
When I switched to DE, the first shaves were nasty until I found a blade that worked with my face. At that point, I'd need styptic maybe once a week.

I only used the DE for a little over a month before switching to straights. Having been running straights now since around mid-November and I've needed the styptic maybe 3 times. All but once it was because I nicked a mole.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
To be frank, though I'm Kento, it's as dangerous as holding a razor sharp blade to your face. There is no guard to prevent the blade from digging into your face- so it's up to the user to keep things safe.

I don't think anyone has ever died accidentally from straight shaving...but here is always a first time I guess :lol:

It depends on how it's used. I mean, how dangerous is a gun? Point it in the wrong direction, very. Use it properly, not at all.

To be frank, though I'm Kento, it's as dangerous as holding a razor sharp blade to your face. There is no guard to prevent the blade from digging into your face- so it's up to the user to keep things safe.

I don't think anyone has ever died accidentally from straight shaving...but here is always a first time I guess :lol:

Actually there is lots of documentation of people dying from straight shaves, or more appropriately the wound infection resulting from an injury while straight shaving. However we live in an age of antibiotics now, so this risk is rather reduced.

As for bleeding out, not likely. I have cut myself much worse while cleaning a straight than while using a straight.

Remember, if the floor wants to examine your blade, let the floor have a look...

Phil

There is potential for harm, especially in the beginning (cuts).
As you progress though the nicks will become few and far between. You will develop a respect and awareness of that keen blade and the importance of maintaining the edge for shaving. It will truly become a tool. And your shaves will be light years more satisfying than even using a DE.

Small cuts and nick definitely, life threatening no.

I would stay away from spike points, they can dig in and cause a gash.

As long as you don't have a slice motion, you will be OK.

Learning a valuable new skill has its price. Patience, control and acquired skill. These fellows are "spot on" about the learning curve! Be not afraid noobie, you will conquer.

I don't know - I have had good luck so far! Initially my dumb ear kept on getting in the way but you know - nothing serious. After figuring out how to avoid my ear, the only time I can remember "cutting" myself was when I had a dull blade and got lazy and tried to power through my initial pass.

Like every one's been saying - the rules of owning a knife apply to razors. Don't catch one and keep it sharp. If you haven't mulled yourself in the kitchen - you probably will not do so in your den.

Legion

Staff member
Dangerous is a relative term. I cut myself yesterday, even after all this time. But it's not like I was lying on the bathroom floor, calling for help, and trying to staunch the bleeding with a towel. A bit of cursing, some cold water, I was good to go.

The worst injury I've heard of (apart from the people, years ago, who got blood poisoning from a cut and died), is the chap yesterday who decided to catch his falling razor and filleted his hand. That can (and does) happen with a safety razor.

Other than fumbling and dropping it (and then trying to catch it before it falls) is the dangerous part.

Also I have read one rule here on B&B that makes since: "Never shave naked with a stgraight!"

Top Bottom