What's new

How can I get the thick foamy lather onto my face...

I have no issue lathering up a thick foamy lather in the soap jar, but I cannot transfer it to my face by brushing it on. The only way to get it on my face is to squeeze the brush from the bottom so the lather pops out of it then apply it to my face with my hand.
How can I get the thick foamy lather onto my face without doing this but just by brushing?

I have no issue lathering up a thick foamy lather in the soap jar, but I cannot transfer it to my face by brushing it on. The only way to get it on my face is to squeeze the brush from the bottom so the lather pops out of it then apply it to my face with my hand.
How can I get the thick foamy lather onto my face without doing this but just by brushing?

Some of my different brushes can release lather differently. What brush are you using?

I understand that some shavers don't, but I like a nice thick layer of lather on my face when I shave. It's probably a layer that's 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick, or so. I usually directly brush a thinner layer of lather on my face using the brush, and when I'm satisfied with that, I usually apply a thicker layer with my hands to build up to the final thickness.

Welcome to B&B, Sir tzinc!!

have you watched any shaving videos yet??

what time zone are you in, that makes a difference!

Pictures and more info would definitely help. What soap are you using and what brush? Is it synthetic bristles or natural hair?

Beyond that, a thick layer of foam isn’t necessary. All that’s needed is a thin layer of lather to provide slickness and protection.

Welcome to B&B!

Try the Marco Method™ - it just works...

For now, let's ignore if a thick layer is useful or not.

Some brushes release the lather more than others. Regardless, if you load enough soap and work it well, it will create so much lather that it will be basically in excess. The brush is not only saturated with lather, but it is well past that point. When you start brushing your face, all that excess lather will stay on your face and you can create that thick layer. Quite a bit of lather will stay in the brush. To get out all that lather from the brush, you need to... well, literally squeeze the brush with your fingers.

Another vote for face-lathering! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

And I prefer slick, shiny lather containing lots of water to the thick ‘yogurt’ often pictured on shaving forums.

It’s a case of less is more for me. For me the thick cream doesn’t have enough cushion and it goes away quickly. What Big J said is spot on.

I guess what I am saying is when I paint my face lather never comes out of my brush the only way to get it out of the brush is to squeeze it from the bottom and then apply with my hand. No matter how much I go over my face I only build up a thin layer of soap. It never gets going.

I guess what I am saying is when I paint my face lather never comes out of my brush the only way to get it out of the brush is to squeeze it from the bottom and then apply with my hand. No matter how much I go over my face I only build up a thin layer of soap. It never gets going.
That's at least partly the nature of the beast. Shaving soaps work very well but you shouldn't expect Santa Claus lather like you get from an aerosol can or from a cream. All you really need is thin layer of soap, it doesn't even matter if your skin shows through.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
For now, let's ignore if a thick layer is useful or not.
Alas, it's been a few days and I simply cannot. Lather that doesn't touch your face/hair and just sits on top of other lather is doing noting to improve your shave. There, now I feel better (and a little silly).

The easiest way is to bowl lather and make a ton of lather - lots of soap/cream and plenty of water. It should look like a full bowl of whip-cream. Then use your brush more like a spatula and lay the lather on your face, scooping up more with alarming frequency.

But there are members who use lather that's so thin they can see their skin through it, so do experiment a bit before you absolutely decide this is the way to go.

Lather that doesn't touch your face/hair and just sits on top of other lather is doing noting to improve your shave.
I fully agree with you.

I think the only argument someone could come up with to defend having mountains of lather on the face is that it may provide a buffer or wall and trap the moisture for a longer time at the skin level. I guess this may be an advantage if the person is doing 3 passes in 30 minutes. Other than that, I think it's a waste of soap.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Have you tried a 90s foam party?
cfb9a49f-5e74-43f5-81df-2e48b4c34817.jpg

Top Bottom