What's new

Honest, I Really HAVE To Make A Decision This Weekend

Okay gents, we all do it. What do you think about this camera? I think/want/need to try/buy this camera. Truth is, there is no single best option which is why camera guys tell you not to catch the bug. I get it. I've done this myself. It is called procrastination.

Now it's time to get to the rat killing. My daughter entered grade eleven this year and one of her first semester classes is photography. And of course she needs a camera for the class. Now normally I would mull this over really well for a week or two and read loads of reviews. I do not have that luxury. She needs it Tuesday next or Wednesday at the latest. Of course she needs manual controls for the lessons and I am glad of that. The main functions the instructor demands are P, T(Tv), A(Av), M, and possibly A-DEP. She did say some cameras are lacking the last feature but she wants the first four and that's fine.

I am likely to not go with an interchangeable lens model. I think she would be served better with a higher end point and shoot. The ones that came up rather quickly as sort a best of 2016 were the Canon G9x, Panasonic Lumix Zs100, and the Sony RX 100. Most seem to think the earlier iterations of the RX100 are better than the IV versions out now. Too much weight gain and increased size. I picked these because they are typically available semi locally or a one day ship from Amazon.

Near as I can tell they run from about $449 for the Canon to $750 for the Sony(II and III versions) with the Panny falling somewhere in between. Now the Canon is the midget of the bunch. Very compact compared to even the Sony models. She is not a big girl at around 5'4" and slightly built. So ham fists don't come into play. However, like most dads there is a genius at work here and I am thinking of myself when she is done with it.

The Canon has great specs including full 1 inch sensor, touchscreen plus mode dial on top, wifi, gorgeous looks, and great grip ergonomics according to most reviews. Don't overlook the beauty feature here. We are dealing with a sixteen year old girl here and she is not likely to want an old mans camera.

Sony RX 100. This one has pretty much dominated the segment since it came out. In typical Sony fashion their menus are different that most others, the prices are higher, and the reviewers are really grumping about the model's weight gain and bigger size. As noted, some say to stick with the earlier versions.

Panasonic ZS100. Pretty new and I know nothing about it.

I am open to suggestions but it cannot be some esoteric model from outer Whoville. I need something mainstream, available, and warranty covered. I can budget about 450-600. Maybe more but how much kit do you let a teenage kid have? It goes without saying the teacher prefers the mode dial on top for the settings since it makes it much faster to change settings. I did see some complaints about the Canon not supporting RAW mode in auto settings and even when you do set it for that capture in manual it slows to a crawl. How important really is RAW? They will be spending a lot of time with a non linear editing programme and I wondered if this would make a difference?

I am open to suggestions but will likely need to do something by tomorrow afternoon. Thanks gents.

Forgot to add, for any editing program, raw is almost essential. It captures a lot more data and allows for a greater adjustment latitude in your post processing. Also a jpeg being saved and transferred will lose data every time. Raw is a lossless format, so you always retain all of your original data.

Yes, that's what I am using a Rebel T5. It's not really any more money than what you listed as a kit, so that would be something to seriously consider. Canon and Nikon have terrific point and shoot options, I have a Canon SX510, and under a couple hundred it's terrific! For point and shoot I'd cap out not much more than 200, then I would just start looking at an entry DSLR. Nikon's, around here anyway, seem to always be going fairly cheap compared to Canon's.

Gentlemen, thank you for the nice replies. Now that I see DSLRs at entry level are actually quite affordable I am going to try to steer her that way. For the same reasons film camera instructors pushed people toward things like the Pentax K1000 or Minolta products. Very intuitive and would actually do a lot more than most photographers are capable of. That's the issue from what most experienced people tell me. The photography is in the person holding the camera and not the other way around. BTW the other entry DSLR I see load of recommendations for is the Nikon 3300. Supposedly even more newbie friendly than the Rebel T5.

I don't know about where you are but up here the 3300 was on a good sale for quite awhile at Walmart. Came with a bag too. They seemed to have an awful lot of them in stock.

I use a Nikon D3300. I'd suggest that you go for that one, or one of the Canon entry level DSLRs. These cameras offer huge value and you can change the three main settings (aperture, shutter speed, and ISO) without even moving the camera away from your eye. They are easy to use, and thus don't get in your way when you are taking a photo.

I can't comment on exactly how user friendly one is compared to the other, as my stuff is a little older. (Canon 40D) But I will say either of the two makers should serve extremely well. I used to have an older Rebel, and it was light weight and easy to use. I stayed with Canon because my film lenses would transfer over to the new body, but there is definitely nothing wrong with Nikon.

Most big Wallly-world's or Best Buy should have beginner kits for both on hand if you wanted to look at each in person and compare. Good luck, and I hope she enjoys it. :thumbup:

Gents, grabbed the Nikon D3300 at Bestbuy a little while ago. On sale for $550. Normally 650. The clerk there recommended it over the Rebel T5 for the same reasons other have. Just a bit easier to learn the menu navigation he said. The Rebel was actually on sale for 50 less but she liked the Nikon better. Besides, it came with a free Shutter Fly trial and a free wifi dongle included. And if she absolutely hates it we can return it within 15 days. I will let you know how it works out.

Great choice. I have a 3300 and am very pleased. If she is ever looking to upgrade in the future, definitely steer her toward a better lens. The sensors on the other Nikon models (aside from professional) are pretty much the same. So a lens is where she could see the most improvement and bang for her buck.

Well gents, she is starting to learn things in her class. Today was aperture and shutter. Well, I suppose there will be a lot more than one day of that but you get the drift. She said she is enjoying it. I hope so because I am depending upon her to teach her old Da a thing or three.

Great choice. I have a 3300 and am very pleased. If she is ever looking to upgrade in the future, definitely steer her toward a better lens. The sensors on the other Nikon models (aside from professional) are pretty much the same. So a lens is where she could see the most improvement and bang for her buck.
yes and no. yeah the sensors ar the same but the codecs and processors are VASTLY different. I'm not knowing the 3300 it's a capable entry level camera, but to even hint at saying the 3300 is as capable as the 7200... uh just no.

The Wirecutter lists the D3300 as the best entry-level DSLR on the market today. If you're not reading The Wirecutter for your reviews, you're doing yourself a disservice!

Top Bottom