What's new

home made pasted strop

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I provided a few perspective shots to show how big I made it. That is a standard norton 8k and a Boker "Our Own" provided for reference (I stole that one from ebay for less than 15 bucks!)

Wow, that is a TON of Chrome Ox you've applied! How many passes do you normally do for a touch up???

I've been using chrome for quite some time and don't nearly apply that much or find that much necessary. That much would easily get me into overhoning territory.

Chris L

I now know that I went a little overboard since it was my first strop. As far as overhoning, I only make about 15 passes if the blade needs a "refresher". That stuff cuts so slow, a light touch, hasn't got me into trouble yet...

Is there a rule that says that green chrome oxide is 0.5 micron?

I was searching on ebay, and see that you can buy some huge quantites of the stuff, but no info about particle size.

Take a look at item number: 320039217786
That seller has all sorts of powders, yellow chromium also, when are we going to see that used? :D

oh man, I would be careful buying anything like that from ebay. But I am really paranoid. Who knows what garbage they mixed together. the handamerican stuff is great, and for the amount you get it is CHEAP. I recommend them, their customer service is fantastic as well.

possible, I don't know when they are going to sell things, have you been here lately? http://www.handamerican.com/

And I don't know if they sell to norway.., It would be great if they could, sounds like they have other cool things also, according to people here.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Particle size can vary widely so unless that seller can assure you it is 0.5 (or a grit you want anyway) I'd stick with a known source.

Tony

Particle size can vary widely so unless that seller can assure you it is 0.5 (or a grit you want anyway) I'd stick with a known source.

Tony

Agreed. I have researched ways of purchasing chromium oxide and have found that it's used as a reagent in laboratories and as such can be purchased in "laboratory grade" which I understand to be uniform in quality and grit. I'm wondering if Hand American's chrome ox is lab grade since it is such a uniform powder (all chrome ox I've purchased comes from Hand American). The only downside I see is that you have to buy so much and actually need so little....with so much excess just sitting around unused. So...I decided to portion out Hand American chrome ox for dirt cheap to give others the option to buy a usable amount for a fraction of the Hand American cost.

Chris L

As far as I know, we don't know if this or that has that uniform particle size?, I for sure don't have access to any scope or tools to verify things like that, so we just have to take for granted that Hand American has the best chrome.
The green chrome I refered to, was like 500grams, for little money, and the seller say that people buys it for polishing, but then again, depends on which kind of poilishing, if it need the same particle size like we are after.
Anyhow 500grams is toomuch for anyone, insane amount.

But the HandAmerican size, how much in the package? (metric system please), and for how much?, I think I have heard about $18 or something?, I don't see that as expensive if it is some. It isn't easily accessible here in norway as far as I know, and the money I have spendt on other things will far exceed any cost for any paste..

It is 4 oz. (don't know metric equivalent, sorry bub!) for about $12.50 american. That is one hell of a deal, considering how long that quantity will last ya.

It is 4 oz. (don't know metric equivalent, sorry bub!) for about $12.50 american. That is one hell of a deal, considering how long that quantity will last ya.

114 grams. $18 for the tub including shipping in the U.S. The 4 oz is more than 25 guys would ever need for strop application purposes.

Chris L

It's 2 sided. I hang it from a hook so that the faces remain free of debris. It works great and the price was right. Thanks.

I've had some great inspiration from some off you guys so I decided to make my own balsa paddle today since I'm waiting for TM's 4 sided paddle to be online again.

The handle is a 0.97 cent picket fence, $3.48 for the balsa wood and a few bucks for the wood glue since I was out. I had some sandpaper and polycrylic laying around.

First I had the picket fence dry out all day yesterday in the baking sun since it was moist when I bought it. Cut the balsa in pieces, shortened the picket fence by sawing off a piece, sanded the picket fence, glued everything together and had it pressed together for the whole night. Today I sanded the handle again, taking away all roughness and also flat sanded the balsa with a very fine grid paper. A few layers of polycrilyc water based clear semi-gloss on everything except the flat part of the balsa. Once everything was dry I again fine sanded the balsa wood. Looks incredible smooth, sturdy and very nice.

This was actually a very easy task with little effort except patience for everything to dry. I can still drill a hole in the handle but since I will be storing the paddle away I really don't have much use for hanging the paddle. The hanging TM strop in the bathroom has already received the blessing from the wife. No need to push my luck trying to get a hanging paddle in the house.:biggrin:

Since I have some leftovers from the balsa wood I'm going to make a second one which will be less wide.

I can definitely recommend anyone making one of these as it's really not that difficult. (It's so easy, even a caveman can do it!)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Man these are all awesome. I'm definitely going to make myself one over the summer. These DIY paddles might give TM a run for his money :blush:

I've had some great inspiration from some off you guys so I decided to make my own balsa paddle today since I'm waiting for TM's 4 sided paddle to be online again.

The handle is a 0.97 cents picket fence, $3.48 for the balsa wood and a few bucks for the wood glue since I was out. I had some sandpaper and polycrylic laying around.

First I had the picket fence dry out all day yesterday in the baking sun since it was moist when I bought it. Cut the balsa in pieces, sanded the picket fence, glued everything together and had it pressed together for the whole night. Today I sanded the handle again, taking away all roughness and also flat sanded the balsa with a very fine grid paper. A few layers of polycrilyc water based clear semi-gloss on everything except the flat part of the balsa. Once everything was dry I again fine sanded the balsa wood. Looks incredible smooth, sturdy and very nice.

This was actually a very easy task with little effort except patience for everything to dry. I can still drill a hole in the handle but since I will be storing the paddle away I really don't have much use for hanging the paddle. The hanging TM strop in the bathroom has already received the blessing from the wife. No need to push my luck trying to get a hanging paddle in the house.:biggrin:

Since I have some leftovers from the balsa wood I'm going to make a second one which will be less wide.

I can definitely recommend anyone making one of these as it's really not that difficult.

Thank you very much for the post, Max. I don't have the tools to shape my own handle but now I have options.

that is a GREAT idea right there. Picket fence paddle strops... the wave of the future. Eat your heart out Tom Sawyer! :biggrin:

Top Bottom