What's new

Hollywood "Southern" accents

Well when one is a stoned Southerner, doing that kind of an accent isn't all that hard I would imagine. :tongue_sm

No doubt! "Mah friend wants TeeVo, mah friend gits TeeVo!"

Kilmer's accent in Tombstone was just fine. I have met people who speak in exactly such a fashion. You really can tell the accents from different parts of the South. If you have not heard but one or two, some may sound fake. Lots of words, as well as different expressions, can give hints as to what part of the country someone may be from. For instance, most people in N.Texas don't use " ovah he-ah," it's usually some variation of "o'er err," or "ov'r herre."

There's only 1 Southern accent? I have heard at least 4 or 5 different ones & never lived south of the Ahia River, actually

I saw Robert Duval once on The Tonight Show (the old, Johnny Carson Tonight Show, so it was quite a few years ago) demonstrate about four or five different Georgia accents. I grew up in Georgia, and he was spot on all of them. He was doing cities / towns fairly close to each other, too, such as Atlanta and Macon.

Tim

Robert Duvall consistently turns out a highly believable southern accent- one of the best onscreen. I'm thinking about his roles in Tender Mercies, Slingblade, and especially The Apostle.

Robert Duvall consistently turns out a highly believable southern accent- one of the best onscreen. I'm thinking about his roles in Tender Mercies, Slingblade, and especially The Apostle.

Well, he should! He is supposedly a descendant of Marse Robert himself!

No doubt! "Mah friend wants TeeVo, mah friend gits TeeVo!"

Kilmer's accent in Tombstone was just fine. I have met people who speak in exactly such a fashion. You really can tell the accents from different parts of the South. If you have not heard but one or two, some may sound fake. Lots of words, as well as different expressions, can give hints as to what part of the country someone may be from. For instance, most people in N.Texas don't use " ovah he-ah," it's usually some variation of "o'er err," or "ov'r herre."

Yeah, I thought Kilmer was good in Tombstone, and even Billy Bob Thornton had a pretty decent accent in that movie

I remember hearing radio ads for Harlan County War, and Holly Hunter shouting "We kin wiyin this strock!!!" (we can win this strike). I thought it sounded like a west coaster trying way too hard to sound southern... then I found out she was born in Georgia. :redface:

I remember hearing radio ads for Harlan County War, and Holly Hunter shouting "We kin wiyin this strock!!!" (we can win this strike). I thought it sounded like a west coaster trying way too hard to sound southern... then I found out she was born in Georgia. :redface:

:lol::lol::lol:

Yes there are a multitude of bad Hollywood "Southern" accents. Some are ever down right disgraceful. I second Robert Duval as doing a nuber of good Southern accents. I will add Donnald Southerland to the list of good Southern accents. Val Kilmer did a pretty good job. I have a friend that has a very similar accent.

I, however, have been asked waht part of Maine, Kansas, Colorado, Virginia, etc. I was from. Born and raised in SE Tennessee and currently live in NE Georgia. :biggrin:

Yeah, Holly Hunter was born and raised in Conyers, GA. Trust me, you don't get much more Southern than Conyers.....

Leonard DiCaprio's accent in the Aviator. Not Houston, not Texas, not Southern.

Even Larry Hagman's accent on Dallas was hoked up for the show, and never mind he spent a lot of his youth in Texas.

It's easy to do a cartoon southern accent. To make it authentic, you have to have a good ear and willingness to practice and know what to listen for.

Here in Texas, someone from South Texas, such as my wife, sounds much different than someone from East Texas. My sister-in-law spent her college years in Lubbock and sounds very much like someone from North Texas now. Living in Dallas helps that.

It's fun listening to my wife and her sister get together. After a few minutes of talking, the big city polish wears off and they are just a couple of Southern girls gettin' together for a visit, complete with ice tea.

Top Bottom