What's new

Hi from the UK

Hi to all at B & B.

I've been a wet shaver for many years now but my approach to shaving has always been a bit slap dash using (dare I say it) ordinary hand soap and (dare I say it again) the dreaded M*ch 3 razor. Oh horror! However after trawling this fantastic site and it's forums and seeing the obvious benefits of doing it right, I decided a couple of months ago to devote a bit more time and effort to shaving. I started by investing in some decent cream (Trufitt and Hill 1805) a decent brush (Best Badger), a good quality after shave balm and a nice horn lathering bowl. Even though I continued to use the M*ch 3, my shave quality improved 500% (not surprising really after my previous regime) and I found that shaving became a pleasant and enjoyable experience rather than the chore it once was.
For a change of cream, and after reading the recommendations on B & B, I bought a Proraso selection pack and am now part way through a large tube of their sandalwood. I think that the Proraso is a great cream to use, that produces lots of smooth creamy lather.
Two weeks ago when going through some drawers at home I found an old vintage Gillette Rocket razor with a closed comb and flared handle and thought I would give it a try. I cleaned this up, sterilised it and dropped in a Wilkinson sword blade. I used this twice but found that it was on the aggressive side for my face but thought that it may be, or a combination of, 1. the blade. 2. my amateur technique or 3. the razor. I therefore sent off for a selection pack of blades which was delivered today and have just used the razor again with a Lord platinum blade. I found this a big improvement with no nicks or razor burn. I am currently waiting for delivery of an Edwin Jagger long handled DE89 razor as I read that the DE89 is a less aggressive razor and a bit more forgiving. The longer handle appealed to me as this is what I have been used to with M*ach 3 over the years. I'm hoping that the combination of a different DE razor, a trial of the various blades that I now have and an improvement in my DE shaving technique will produce the shaving result I'm looking for.

Best wishes to all at B & B

DE89bl was my first razor. Great piece of kit. If for some reason you find it aggressive i recently bought a Merkur 34c and find that considerably less so, but both are highly recommended. In between i picked up a Muhle R41 but it was way too much for me. I now switch between the EJ and the 34c with the latter getting more use as it's newer. I have yet to give myself the slightest nik or weeper from the Merkur, even on my turkey neck where the 89 can occasionally grate.

I'm sure you'll love the DE89, i used nothing else for 3 years after purchasing. Pick up the gillette sampler from Connaught Shaving too if you're in the UK,
Gillette Blade Sample Pack
i would put every blade in that selection above the Wilkinson Sword, but of course YMMV.
Welcome to the forum.

DE89bl was my first razor. Great piece of kit. If for some reason you find it aggressive i recently bought a Merkur 34c and find that considerably less so, but both are highly recommended. In between i picked up a Muhle R41 but it was way too much for me. I now switch between the EJ and the 34c with the latter getting more use as it's newer. I have yet to give myself the slightest nik or weeper from the Merkur, even on my turkey neck where the 89 can occasionally grate.

I'm sure you'll love the DE89, i used nothing else for 3 years after purchasing. Pick up the gillette sampler from Connaught Shaving too if you're in the UK,
Gillette Blade Sample Pack
i would put every blade in that selection above the Wilkinson Sword, but of course YMMV.
Welcome to the forum.

Hi Dombangers and thanks for your post. The 34c was on my shortlist along with the Muhle r89 Twist but the price of the Twist ruled this out for the moment. I plumped for the EJ89 over the 34c because of its handle length although I now understand that there is a long handled version of the 34c listed as model number 38c, the "barbers pole". Perhaps one for the future. Thanks for the sampler recommendation. I will give this a try when my current samples run out.

Kind regards

I won't knock a cartridge razor, other than the expense. The EJ89 is a good razor and I think you will like the shave. Glad to have you here.

Sent via mobile - Chris

I won't knock a cartridge razor, other than the expense. The EJ89 is a good razor and I think you will like the shave. Glad to have you here.

Sent via mobile - Chris
The Feather Popular is the nearest thing i've had between a cartridge and "proper" razor, but it was way too mild for me and i've given it away. I do like the butterfly system though and would recommend that razor to someone who wants to find something they can refill with DE blades that reminds them of a cartridge.

Hi Dombangers and thanks for your post. The 34c was on my shortlist along with the Muhle r89 Twist but the price of the Twist ruled this out for the moment. I plumped for the EJ89 over the 34c because of its handle length although I now understand that there is a long handled version of the 34c listed as model number 38c, the "barbers pole". Perhaps one for the future. Thanks for the sampler recommendation. I will give this a try when my current samples run out.

Kind regards
I opted for the EJ over the German 34c out of patriotic duty because it was Made in England. I mean, we don't make much anymore so i wanted to support a Sheffield company. I then discovered the EJ head was made by Muhle in Germany LOL.
Both great razors, but for me the Merkur is a little less aggressive, though both are great starter razors. As a head shaver i must say the short handle of the 34c is a joy to use as i can cup the whole thing in my hand, but as you say there is a long handle version too. Having got used to the short one, i would not want to swap.

Welcome to B&B. I am confident you'll love the EJ89; I know I did. Hang onto your Gillette and try it again in a few months or so. You'll probably find that it got better sitting on the shelf. Enjoy. :)

Welcome aboard! IMO the 89 series is an excellent razor in the mild/moderate category. Great choice!

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to the community. You can't go wrong with the EJ89. It was my go to razor for the past 3 years or so. I used everything from Derbys to Feathers in it and it did great. I shave my head too, so the EJ89 works perfectly.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom