What's new

Hey Hon, it’s Baltimore Pit Beef Time

As Italian Beef is to Chicago and Beef on Weck rules the territory in Buffalo, Pit Beef is the definitive Baltimore sandwich. I’m not up for the 10+ hour drive to
Charm City today
IMG_6162.jpeg
(even though Boog Powell’s Pit Beef is WELL worth the effort) but I do love me some good, rare beef with sliced onions and horseradish. So, if the Mountain won’t come to Mohammed then Mohammed must go to the Mountain. Dinner is served about 6:30pm (EDT).

Top round seared over a crazy hot open flame. Then moved to indirect heat and frequently turned until internal temperature gets to 110-115.
Then it sits for maybe 10 minutes or so.
Now it’s time to slice it as thin as you can. Heap it on a Kaiser bun. Add onion (also very thin sliced) and horseradish or Tiger sauce (recipes vary a bit but it’s mostly a mayo/horseradish concoction). Ain’t nothing finer.

As a native Marylander, I LOVE some pit beef. I'm in FL now, but with O's opening day a week away, you've inspired me to make another. i've got a commercial meat slicer, so I cook it over an actual (fire) pit. Take it off, slice some off, and put it back on to get some more bark going. Rinse and repeat til its gone or nobody can eat any more.

For anyone reading this and thinking about trying it for the first time - Slicing hot, juicy, beef on a meat slicer is best done outside. Otherwise, set up a backstop with a towel because it WILL sling juice off the blade, and your wife will NOT be pleased with the outcome.

I have news for all of you who think that smoked brisket or corned beef are the only ways to cook brisket. My mother used to bake it in the oven, seasoned with a packet of onion soup powder and covered. Then, she'd let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, still covered. Not only did it taste even better the next day, it let all of the grease congeal so that it was easy to remove. Yum!

Top Bottom