What's new

Henckels Friodur or carbon

I have read alot of love for the Henckels Friodurs. The advantage being that they are stainless steel with easy honing, similar to a carbon steel straight but less susceptible to rust.

But... Is there alot of difference in shave quality and smoothness when comparing a Henckels in what I assume is carbon steel (it has stamped twins logo on the tang and says Ja Henckels zwillingwerk) vs a "real" Friodur?

I found two specimen that interest me, one being a Friodur, which is 1/3rd more expensive - the cheaper option being the non friodur.

I'm not the most experienced straight razor shaver, but enjoy my Bismarck when I find the time for a luxurious SR shave. So if I'm asking stupid things, feel free to retract my access to the SR section so I can bug those who feel more comfy riding a safety bar. 😊

Thanks!!

But... Is there alot of difference in shave quality and smoothness when comparing a Henckels in what I assume is carbon steel (it has stamped twins logo on the tang and says Ja Henckels zwillingwerk) vs a "real" Friodur?
I realized I didn't answer your question directly. The carbon steel Henckels ought to be typical of 20th century Solingen steel. The Friodur steel will be *at least* as good. Not all stainless is created equal but they nailed it, in my opinion.

Henckels Friodur is basically a DIN 1.4116 equivalent steel with a proprietary cryogenic treatment. Very similar to 440A which doesn’t exactly get the pulse up these days but was a respectable steel in its day. Max hardness from this steel even with cryo will be about 58 HRC. So likely a hair softer than the carbon steel used in Henckels other razors but the added wear resistance, as well as the corrosion resistance of the stainless will bring them out about even in performance. I’ve had a few stainless razors and they perform equally with their carbon counterparts.

Friodurs are excellent razors in all respects. I have a few and am a fan.

12080001_zps7de63dd4.jpg

I have read alot of love for the Henckels Friodurs. The advantage being that they are stainless steel with easy honing, similar to a carbon steel straight but less susceptible to rust.

I found two specimen that interest me, one being a Friodur, which is 1/3rd more expensive - the cheaper option being the non friodur.

I'm not the most experienced straight razor shaver, but enjoy my Bismarck when I find the time for a luxurious SR shave. So if I'm asking stupid things, feel free to retract my access to the SR section so I can bug those who feel more comfy riding a safety bar. 😊

Thanks!!

I have about 20 Friodurs and they are excellent, but I bought one NOS Friodur with black scales that was a pain to get to a shave ready state. It might be that this was one of the later (last?) Friodurs (after all, I bought it NOS about 10 years ago) but I cannot be sure. Strangely enough, it does not show any model number while all my others do and it came in a metal “coffin”, unlike the other ones.

That leads me to think that the ones with the ivory coloured scales might be the better bets.

From what I can tell, in their day the carbon ones were not considered to be Henckels prime razors.
That may or may not be justified, but if I were to buy my first Henckels razor, I would make it a Friodur.

B.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Ditched the idea of the carbon Henckels, studied the pictures carefully and it has quite a bit of pitting on the blade,hadnt noticed when looking at the offer on my phone.

Another stupid question, would a vintage Friodur be a better shaver than say a new Revisor razor?
They are priced similarly.

A Friodur would be more sexy to own, but is it actually a better shaver?
Is it as special as people make it out to be?

I own a couple straights, two of them vintage and my current favourite would be my new Dovo Bismarck. It shaves, strops and handles easier, even though it's my biggest blade (6/8th vs 3/8th and 5/8th on the vintage ones)

Buy one of the two - hone it, shave with it. Ask yourself if you think you are missing anything in your shave.
Probably not, so just be happy.
If by chance you can honestly say your shave is lacking, get one of the other type and compare.

It would be impossible for anyone to objectively qualify actual shave-value differences you might experience between the two.
Really - only you could do that for you.

Note - it is possible that two different Frios are not exactly the same, and you like one better.
So it might not be a matter of Frio vs Carbo... it might be more sorta like.. just pick one and be happy and strop going FOMO.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Note - it is possible that two different Frios are not exactly the same, and you like one better.
So it might not be a matter of Frio vs Carbo... it might be more sorta like.. just pick one and be happy and strop going FOMO.

Words of wisdom, not all razors from the same era/manufacturer are the same.

Try many, keep the best.

. Ask yourself if you think you are missing anything in your shave.
This is interesting. I wouldn't say lacking... More like curious whether it would KO the Bismarck. I know alot of people on here dont hold modern Dovo razors in high regard, but I really love my Bismarck.

Yet everyone seems crazy about Filis and Henckels razors (to name a few. Can't seem to find Bengals because tomo and rbnsc want them all to themselves 🤪) so I am wondering...would they really be better?

I understand the comments though, like you and Silverlifter said... YMMV.

Now to figure out if I really want one.
When I find out I do, I'll dress it up fancy and post a pic in the aqcuisition thread.

Thanks to all!

This is interesting. I wouldn't say lacking... More like curious whether it would KO the Bismarck. I know alot of people on here dont hold modern Dovo razors in high regard, but I really love my Bismarck.
I got myself one Bismarck too but would not recommand others to buy. Not underated modern Dovo, just so risky to buy it than other good straights. You may have fortune to pick great one, but others may not.

I got myself one Bismarck too but would not recommand others to buy. Not underated modern Dovo, just so risky to buy it than other good straights. You may have fortune to pick great one, but others may not.

I’ve honed a few modern Dovo’s and can’t say I’ve had a problem. The most recent was two Bismarck’s, both honed well and shaved really nice. Can’t say my four Henckels were any better.

That curiosity is the FOMO I mentioned earlier.

If you think one razor brand you don't own might somehow "KO" another brand you do own - that is FOMO.

What I meant was, get one Henckels and try it. See if it makes you think it shaves better than the Bismarck.

Modern Dovos can be great shavers when honed correctly. Modern Bismarcks are one of them.
Vintage Bismarcks can also make great shavers, and so can Henckels razors.

So, a good way to go here would be to try one Henckels, and compare it yourself to what you already know...
Ask yourself what one blade makes you think is missing in the other.
Outside opinions on the matter really don't matter - it's your shave, your razor, your edge, etc.

Top Bottom