What's new

Help With Knot Out

I rarely ask for help but am out of my depth.

A number of years ago I purchased a re-knot Rubberset 200-1 brush and really liked it for face lathering.

About a year ago the knot came out.

It looks like there was minimal contact between the knot and epoxy or the epoxy was too set before the knot was inserted.

I'd like to set the knot a little deeper so a "dab of glue and done" repair is not what I want.

So... question.

How do I get more depth (i.e. remove the old epoxy) without damaging the handle

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

A number of years ago I purchased a re-knot Rubberset 200-1 brush and really liked it for face lathering.

It looks like there was minimal contact between the knot and epoxy or the epoxy was too set before the knot was inserted.

I'd like to set the knot a little deeper so a "dab of glue and done" repair is not what I want.

So... question.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Call the experts, @CigarSmoka, @Graydog!

Got a drill press, or a dremel?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Does the bottom of the knot touch the bottom of the socket ?
sometimes the glue bump is wider than the hole and won't let the knot go to the bottom so yo would have to go wider not deeper . You have to be careful with that type of handle because the top is glued to the bottom part and if you go to deep you will drill into the white part and passably separate the two, That is what I did one time .
Can you measure the depth of the hole ? and show a side view of the knot standing up and the handle also ?

Does the bottom of the knot touch the bottom of the socket ?

It seems to go down to the top of the glue but there is no mark on either the knot or glue in the handle to indicate they ever "touched"

sometimes the glue bump is wider than the hole and won't let the knot go to the bottom so yo would have to go wider not deeper .

Seems like the opening is wide enough. Appears the knot goes to the bottom. There is no glue on the side of the hole or on the side of the knot

Can you measure the depth of the hole ? and show a side view of the knot standing up and the handle also ?

0.545" deep to top of glue.

Hard to take a measurement on the knot as there is not a well pronounced "ring" around the hair.

It is possible the knot did not go full in as there appears to be no glue transfer on the knot and no contact marks on the glue. Close but no cigar as they say.

proxy.php

proxy.php

How much deeper do you want to go? There are a couple of ways you can do it. Drill it deeper with a properly sized forstner drill bit or take some material off the bottom of the knot or a little bit of both. Sorry but I can't get a feel what your dealing with from the photos.

Confirm that the knot is touching the bottom of the hole before you do anything else. There are several ways to do that. put a dime in the hole, then hold the knot in place and shake the brush. If the dime rattles you are not making contact by a whole lot.

Put a very small dab of well chewed chewing gum on the bottom of the hole and press the knot down and see if it indents into the gum.

If the knot isn't fully seating, the hole needs to be opened up. I like to use a Dremel drum sander for this. Do a little at a time until the knot fully seats into the bottom of the hole.

If the hole needs to be deeper to set the knot deeper the best way is to use the correct size Fostner bit and drill it deeper. You still need to make sure the knot seats into the hole, and may need to widen the hole.

I usually have the opposite problem. I want a higher loft so I space coins under the knot to lift it up a bit.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
It is possible the knot did not go full in as there appears to be no glue transfer on the knot and no contact marks on the glue. Close but no cigar as they say.

What I am trying to say is ,that the knot grows as it fans out with the glue bump pushing the hairs out
more so the knot won't touch the bottom. and that you don't need to go deeper ,just a little wider.
When you push the knot in ,can you feel it hit the bottom ?

Attachments

• a knot.jpg
    a knot.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 8
  • a-knot 2.jpg
    a-knot 2.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 8
It can be hard to tell. That's why I suggested other ways to tell, a rattling coin or chewing gum.

You can also do it with the depth gauge feature of a caliper if you have such a measuring tool.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

So... question.

proxy.php

proxy.php
From the look of it, it seems that there not much glue holding the knot. You may also want to sand a bit to improve the adhesion.

Top Bottom