What's new

Help me pick some dress boots

I am newly single and plan on going out quite a bit. I'm looking for something that will look equally good with khakis and jeans. I was originally looking at the Iron Rangers and the LLBean Iron Works. Not sure though, if these boots are too rugged for going out.

My current going out shoes are Made In England Docs. They are great but I'm not sure if they are....well off putting to the average girl haha. Anyways, thanks in advance.

I love the AE Daltons.
proxy.php

I love the AE Daltons.
proxy.php
My god those are beautiful. They might be a little too nice for bar crawls, cigar lounges and commuting. Hmm. How do these hold up with regular use? Obviously, I don't mean as everyday shoes, just regularly going out shoes.

Do you guys mean the 1000 mile Original boot? Those are nice as hell. Also, what do you guys think of the Red Wing Beckman? Too work boot looking?

I own a pair of Daltons, and absolutely love them.

Look at the new AE boot, the First Avenue. Its similar to the Dalton, but a plain cap toe versus the wingtip. I wish I had waited 6 months when I was in the market for a 2nd pair of boots. You may remember my thread looking for a cap toe boot. I ended up with the AE Longbranch in brown. Its a wingtip like the Dalton, but the Vibram lug sole is nice for rainy days.

proxy.php

You could also look for a Chelsea boot. The right one could go from a suit to jeans and t-shirt without much fuss. I can't recommend any specific brands, but I'm currently in the market for a pair myself.

I like the 1000 mile and Iron Ranger, and will probably end up with a pair of one of them in a years time. I don't know if I'd consider them a dress boot though.

Last edited:
I almost picked up the First Aves too. My Daltons have held up great. I also have an AE Chelsea that I got from the Shoebank for a real nice price; great boot too. Oh, and the Odenwalds are fantastic too, fyi.

I wish AE had a Chelsea in stock now. Just can't beat their prices on Shoebank when things go on sale.

I really need to see the Odenwalds in person. I always look at them on the site and can't figure out if I like them or not.

I have four pairs of Daltons & I love them all. I need to get a couple more. I also have the First Ave boots in black & I'd like to get another pair or two. I also have both colours of Fifth Street boots.

I own a pair of Daltons, and absolutely love them.

Look at the new AE boot, the First Avenue. Its similar to the Dalton, but a plain cap toe versus the wingtip. I wish I had waited 6 months when I was in the market for a 2nd pair of boots. You may remember my thread looking for a cap toe boot. I ended up with the AE Longbranch in brown. Its a wingtip like the Dalton, but the Vibram lug sole is nice for rainy days.

proxy.php

You could also look for a Chelsea boot. The right one could go from a suit to jeans and t-shirt without much fuss. I can't recommend any specific brands, but I'm currently in the market for a pair myself.

I like the 1000 mile and Iron Ranger, and will probably end up with a pair of one of them in a years time. I don't know if I'd consider them a dress boot though.

Wow I am in love. How do those long branches work with jeans for casual events? The mixture of the sole and boot make it dressy but rugged.

I wish AE had a Chelsea in stock now. Just can't beat their prices on Shoebank when things go on sale.

I really need to see the Odenwalds in person. I always look at them on the site and can't figure out if I like them or not.
I think I like the Odenwalds the best. They are more comfortable than slippers and just get better and better looking with age. They're also much less formal than the Dalton and the Chelsea.

I also have the Chippewas, which are more of a work boot. I think I may have a bit of a boot fetish.

I don't mean to come off inpatient but do the Beckmans not work with chinos/khakis? Are they too work boot looking?

I think the Beckman would look great with chinos or khakis. I wouldn't call them a "dress" boot, though. Not that that matters.

I think the Beckman would look great with chinos or khakis. I wouldn't call them a "dress" boot, though. Not that that matters.

Yeah totally agree. So far its a toss up between the Beckmans and the Long Branch by AE. The AE's are perfect minus the wingtip. They are everything i'm looking for: classic silhouette, vibram sole, good leather. Just not a HUGE fan of the wing tip style. I do plan on wearing them with chinos for dates and dinners but jeans for bar crawls and gatherings with friends.

Wow I am in love. How do those long branches work with jeans for casual events? The mixture of the sole and boot make it dressy but rugged.

The Long Branches are awesome. The rubber lug sole obviously brings down their formality (and the brogueing). They work great with jeans. I just wore them today in fact with a pair of Gustin jeans which are still new and very dark, and a button down shirt. I've kept the red laces in them, but they come with a set of brown laces as well.

I think I like the Odenwalds the best. They are more comfortable than slippers and just get better and better looking with age. They're also much less formal than the Dalton and the Chelsea.

I also have the Chippewas, which are more of a work boot. I think I may have a bit of a boot fetish.

Total boot fetish here too! I wish my wallet allowed me to afford boots like Alden, Oak Street and Viberg, but now I'll settle with snapping up the scraps of sales on shoebank. I'm half tempted to scoop these up. At the under $130, why not?
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443228331.135759.jpg

I'm on the fence whether I like the Eagle Country or not. I kind of hate the the wedge sole. I've seen some awesome MTO versions. They are always running a sale on one of the versions. The greys are on sale for $147 now.$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443229285.542384.jpg

Finally, the stone suede Gobi Desert Boots are on sale for less than $120. That's right, less than a pair of Clarks Desert Boots at full retail. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443229436.454350.jpg

6" Farm Boot by Known Quality Shoe Company. Lot's of widths and sizes. With a bit of polish you can bring out a great shine. These boots stay on my feet for most of the year. $uploadfromtaptalk1443522962020.jpg

Top Bottom