What's new

Help me pick out a new straight razor

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of adding another straight to my collection. I'd love suggestions from you guys on what I should consider. I want a 6/8 blade and I'd also really like ivory or bone scales. I'm looking to spend around $200. Is this possible in my price range, and can you guys point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help,
Matt

Help us help you a bit more, Matt. Do you want a new productions razor or vintage? $200 custom razors are unlikely, fyi, and you're not going to find real ivory on current production blades, and few in bone (if any).

Try this: take a look at the what did you use today thread. Then go look in the mirror, close your eyes, and picture yourself shaving. What razor are you using? Go get that one, or one like it.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If you want bone or ivory on a new razor the most flexible and easiest option is to buy the blade you want and have it rescaled.

I did see a new TI in certified legal ivory at Planéte Rasoir this past summer in Paris, but I believe it was north of a kilobuck.

Cheers, Steve

I know Ralf Aust produces 6/8s and up with bone and horn scales, at or near your price.

These are great razors, at affordable prices.

To put things into perspective I prefer heavier and broader razors. I can only compare my simple 6/8 Aust I started my shaving career with to my meatchopper. I have to say the heavier and more expensive Koraat blade outshines the Aust quality wise. If you say you get what you pay for that is also true I guess. Bladewise they are both really good shaves where you wouldn´t go wrong and both came shave ready to my door.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Bump your budget up a little and give Portland Razor Company a call. They will fix you up.

hi guys,
Just wanted to update the thread:

after looking at razors, i'm think i'm either gonna go with the dovo bismarck (ebony) or the dovo bergischer lowe

thoughts guys, i'm torn
Matt

Both the Bismarck and bergisher are on ebay new at a discount fairly often if not always. They are both lookers, never used either. I think there are issues with rusting under the tang band on the bergisher, so be careful with used ones or if you buy one.

Some really nice Jerry Stark razors can be had and priced within your range. The ivory-bone scales might bump it up some.

Example...6/8 with bone scales is currently out there for $229.00 out the door. Excellent craftsmanship too.

$IMG_0614.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom