What's new

Help Identifying/Dating Two Gillette Long Comb NEW Razors

I have two Gillette Long Comb NEW razors that I'd like opinions on. My first impression of the first is a gold Ball-End Long Comb that was produced early on in the production before 1932 because the base plate just features the Gillette symbol and Made in USA and no reissue dates, and the handle only has the "Pat. 13 Jan 1920 U.S.A." (I believe the date applied to the NEW Improved razors) with "Other Patents Pending" below that. The odd thing is that the patent date is at the top of the handle (vs near the ball end like my 1918 Old Type) and is printed upside down--the handle and the razor head match in color and lacquer aging and there is only small hairline cracks (normal) and both ends are securely in place, so it doesn't appear that the attachment and ball end were removed and put back together upside down, other than when produced.
NBELC.jpgNBELC1.jpgNBELC2.jpg

The second Long Comb (originally gold washed) has the Patent reissue dates on the base plate so I'm assuming that it's older than 1932, but what handle is what intrigues me the most. It looks a lot like my New Improved Tuckaway, but yet not quite the same, and another poster thought it came from "a Red and Black set as is" but I haven't seen any photos of a Red and Black set with that handle. You can also not swap the handles between the two razors as the Tuckaway style handle is too large to tighten down to the older base plate. Any and all thoughts welcomed
NLCT2.jpgNLCT1.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am NO help, I just shave, but if you have never used that LC, don't be surprised if you won't want to shave with any other razor, lol.

They both look amazing when one considers their age!

Thanks for posting my friend!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The first one with the patent numbers at the top has simply been put back together incorrectly, possibly after a repair was made. Flip it over.

There are two sizes of openings for two different diameter handles, it's likely a mis-match. How long is the Tuckaway style handle?

Both are genuine razors.
You did a good research, I wish all the member could create so thoughtful after do their job!
Well done!

The first as you state it and I belive that is the original condition of the handle.
The second one is as you describe it - from a Red and Black set.

R

romsitsa

Too many LC-s from the first batch (no patents on head) have the patent upside down, imho many left the factory this way, for whatever reason, both US and UK models.
As for a date, according to Gillette the New was dropped in 1930 and replaced by the Goodwill, so the no date one should have been made in 1929-30.

The second one is from a Red&black set, as is. It’s a full length Deluxe handle with a Norfolk knob. These have the lower part of the neck machined flat.

Adam

Thank you all for responding/confirming my hunches. The tuck away style handle from the Red and Black set measures 2 7/8” long. I attached side by side shots of the two handles and the handle ends to show how much heftier the R&B handle is than the ball end handle.
258202DC-1A4B-4048-A036-FA8640BFE908.jpeg
41266FEE-938B-43A4-B53A-6BE3798C713E.jpeg

Top Bottom