What's new

Help! i just bough aqua di gio...

If you're anything like me, you'll discover it takes some doing to rein in the desire to try too many things. I never bought on of the sampler packs, but I did make several orders of multiple-decants. I've found that it takes a good while to get through a selection. A scent that bowls me over one day, may seem ho-hum on another.

For some reason, my own brand of AD seemed to generate an urgency, "I want to try..........., and I want it(them) NOW". By and large, a scent that instantly creates a desire to add it to my collection, has a good chance of collecting dust later. For some reason, the scents that seem "iffy" at first whiff, but that I come to appreciate in repeated wearings, tend to have a better chance of becoming "keepers".

Hehe. Yeah i went ahead and purchased those begginer sample kits from pc. It saves me a few trips/gas to department stores, and on shipping it all at once. I thought about decants, but i figured this way i can get to try (between that sampler, c&s and the three ts, around 50 fragrences for the price of one bottle. I can also try them after a nice hot shower, and a good shave, 1 Ml is quite a bit.

I guess its nice having them around if i fancy to try something new, and i can always pass on the remainder of the kit to others interested in trying them, who knows, maybe swmbo will snatch a few of them for herself. I'm afraid of what you described, buying something, only to be put off by it a week or two later. This way i can have a rotation if you will, and come back to them a week or two later.

just go try a bunch of them in whatever department store is convenient for you. Then make a note of the ones you like best. Go then to www.basenotes.com and check out what kinda notes they have in common and they you can go from there to some of the more exotic & interesting ones

just go try a bunch of them in whatever department store is convenient for you. Then make a note of the ones you like best. Go then to www.basenotes.com and check out what kinda notes they have in common and they you can go from there to some of the more exotic & interesting ones

Thanks for the input. I've smelled/used a large sample of armani, calvin kleins and the other stuff you'd seen in a department store over the years. I've been checking out basenotes for a while. I simply can't handle the residual fumes in those places. Next time i'm in one, i'll definitely grab some samples, but for now these will do. i should be good for the rest of the year at least

*edit*
they've got so many "begginner sampler packs"...whatever i buy will need to get the seal of approval from swmbo, so these seem ideal to try out for a night or two and get feedback.

While I understand your enthusiasum about getting "she's" approval, your the one that must wear it and live with it on a daily basis. If you like it then she should be tolerent of it, if not then she should learn to be a little more selfless in her love for you! And before you go off on the tangent about men taking more then giving, my bride bought be this horrid crap I can't stand but I wear it ocassionaly because she gave it to me...

bought it thinking, armani, classy quality stuff right? Yeah. I found out afterwards the rep it had...
I'm new to this whole game, and i'm looking to find a balance between unique/rare and intoxicating evening scent (to a lady's nose).

I've looked at the perfume court, and have no idea where to begin...any help pointing me in a direction would be greatly appreciated.

*edit*
they've got so many "begginner sampler packs"...whatever i buy will need to get the seal of approval from swmbo, so these seem ideal to try out for a night or two and get feedback.

I have 1 reccomendation .. YSL ... The ladies love it .... find a sample and see if its the scent you may go for. I'm bad at describing the properties in this paticular scent but if u compare it to Diesel for men its right up there with it. worth every penny .. the bottle looks like this

While I understand your enthusiasum about getting "she's" approval, your the one that must wear it and live with it on a daily basis. If you like it then she should be tolerent of it, if not then she should learn to be a little more selfless in her love for you! And before you go off on the tangent about men taking more then giving, my bride bought be this horrid crap I can't stand but I wear it ocassionaly because she gave it to me...
its going to be a compromise, i'll pick out a few I like and run them by her. Shes bound to like one, tolerate others, and threaten to kill me in my sleep if i wear it again types.
I have 1 reccomendation .. YSL ... The ladies love it .... find a sample and see if its the scent you may go for. I'm bad at describing the properties in this paticular scent but if u compare it to Diesel for men its right up there with it. worth every penny .. the bottle looks like this
will look into it.
I'm told ladies love aqua di gio, but i'm looking for something a little more 'unique'

Acqua Di Gio is definitely not unique. However as others have mentioned it is pleasant and inoffensive. My spouse really likes it, so I consider it my cheap day to day work wear cologne. I save other better scents for special occasions.

I'd suggest some of the fragrances that L'Occitane make. I've got two of their fragrances (LOCCITANE and Eau de Badian) and they are amazing. Here in Australia you could buy two bottles (100mL) for the same price as one Chanel fragrance.

Guerlain make some very nice fragrances like Vetiver and Habit Rouge.

Chanel fragrances are amazing but they can be expensive. To me, their range seems to cover office environments where a subtle scent would be more appropriate, classy masculine scents for formal occasions to sensual romantic ones ideal for a night out with SWMBO.

again i'd like to thank everyone for thier contribution. Definitely some food for thought.
Acqua Di Gio is definitely not unique. However as others have mentioned it is pleasant and inoffensive. My spouse really likes it, so I consider it my cheap day to day work wear cologne. I save other better scents for special occasions.
I do enjoy the scent of aqua di gio, and i'm not the type to toss something like that. The title of the thread is more geared towards the fact that 7/10 men own a bottle, and 6/10 are wearing it any given day. In that regard, it works great, i don't want to be the posterboy for an axe commercial. getting piled on gets painful.
I'd suggest some of the fragrances that L'Occitane make. I've got two of their fragrances (LOCCITANE and Eau de Badian) and they are amazing. Here in Australia you could buy two bottles (100mL) for the same price as one Chanel fragrance.

Guerlain make some very nice fragrances like Vetiver and Habit Rouge.

Chanel fragrances are amazing but they can be expensive. To me, their range seems to cover office environments where a subtle scent would be more appropriate, classy masculine scents for formal occasions to sensual romantic ones ideal for a night out with SWMBO.

i guess i'm looking more for the latter two. In particular the sensual/romantic types, this is where samples and approvals are my biggest concern. Then theres finding that scent that reminds me of a bently continental gt speed. Leather, wood and a hint of tar.

Check out the Truefitt and Hill sampler, too. I think they've got some pretty good scents.

I got the sampler last year.. I love me some T&H Grafton. Even though it's "English" I wore some last Friday night, my wife and I had a date night in Little Italy. Dinner and browsing in the art galleries, shops and wine store. For some reason, Grafton just seemed right.. somehow some way I will score a bottle of this wonderful juice.

(If I'd had Proraso I would have worn it of course.. :biggrin:)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... If you need help, have your significant other along as you peruse. If you have no sig other, bring your sister to assist (be sure to tell her your not necessarily interested in what's popular or cool, you're interested in something that's "unique/rare" and smells good). If you have no sister or sig other, revert to step 1: follow your nose. :biggrin:

May I suggest not letting the female make the choice at this point?

You ask a woman to describe the perfect man, and you invariably end up with Matthew McConaughey or some such thing. You do not want to be Matthew McConaughey. You want to be John Wayne, or Carey Grant, or Chuck Norris, or Clint Eastwood, or Gregory Peck. So be who you want to be. If for some reason your desire is not to be John Wayne but to be Gabby Hayes, that's the time to check with the ladies to see if your choice is waaaaaaay off base (and then fix it).

But you pick the scent based on what you want to smell like. Unless the ladies strongly object, you got your scent.

I do enjoy the scent of aqua di gio, and i'm not the type to toss something like that. The title of the thread is more geared towards the fact that 7/10 men own a bottle, and 6/10 are wearing it any given day. In that regard, it works great, i don't want to be the posterboy for an axe commercial. getting piled on gets painful.

A question for you...

From reading your original post, I get the impression that you like the smell of AdG and only found out about its popularity after you bought it.

Now that you're familiar with it, how many times can you remember being out and smelling it on other men?

It might be one of the most popular fragrances on the planet, but it's quite possible you live in a community where there aren't actually that many men wearing it. They do exist - I live in one of them :smile:

Just because it's popular doesn't make it bad. If you like the scent and it suits you then wear it and enjoy it.

t&h sample on the way
May I suggest not letting the female make the choice at this point?

You ask a woman to describe the perfect man, and you invariably end up with Matthew McConaughey or some such thing. You do not want to be Matthew McConaughey. You want to be John Wayne, or Carey Grant, or Chuck Norris, or Clint Eastwood, or Gregory Peck. So be who you want to be. If for some reason your desire is not to be John Wayne but to be Gabby Hayes, that's the time to check with the ladies to see if your choice is waaaaaaay off base (and then fix it).

But you pick the scent based on what you want to smell like. Unless the ladies strongly object, you got your scent.
i'm going to be picking, but i'm looking for an intimate scent. Only person i get intimiate with is her, so its important to me its something she enjoys. Hence i'll pick a few out that i like and see which get her seal of approval.

Of course aqua velva is one of those that get the deep inhale when i move in for kiss, so i really can't complain about her tastes...
A question for you...

From reading your original post, I get the impression that you like the smell of AdG and only found out about its popularity after you bought it.

Now that you're familiar with it, how many times can you remember being out and smelling it on other men?

It might be one of the most popular fragrances on the planet, but it's quite possible you live in a community where there aren't actually that many men wearing it. They do exist - I live in one of them :smile:

Just because it's popular doesn't make it bad. If you like the scent and it suits you then wear it and enjoy it.
adg smells decent. Its actually a really well made scent. Its one of those i can wear around thats innofensive. Its not what i was looking for.
Not going to toss it, and who knows, she might like it.the kick in the jewls was that i was looking for something not so mainstream.

Ugh. Sorry...

:lol:
so the t&h made it here overnight, and the gft arrived this mornign as well. I was astonished at how many samples gft sent, the gave me doubles of curzon and spanish leather, and one of every other scent, 4 creams and 3 bath creams/gels.

t&h came with all the colognes, preshave oil, and cream and aftershave for most of the lineup (6 sets). almond and lavender were just creams.
even came with classy drawstring backs, and the th and a nice ribbon and pamphlet for services in my city (massage, shave, mani/pedi etc)
All arrived after my morning shave, so i'll give one of complete lineups a run tomorrow. :w00t:

You haven't tried them yet? No initial impressions?

i'm wearing some armani attitude at the moment (was gifted, and has had positive feedback, don't much care for the inital note, but the ladies love the dry down...no idea what it smells like).

don't like to mx n match fragrence in a day, i want to wait till after a shower and shave, so i can fully appreciate the new scent without any interference.

...so i cracked and dropped a lil gft spanish leather on my wrist.

:001_tt1::jump::c18:

wow this stuff is awesome and potent, it has a solid plastic rod i dipped in 2x, let drip in bottle, then smeared on wrist, 30 minutes later i can still smell it, but not overpowering. i'd prefer something with a little more edge. I'll come back to it in a few days, but this may be one i end up purchasing. Its dried down to a nice leather, but then at the end of the whiff, theres this really nice, very sublte "clean powdery thing going on"

*edit*reminds me of the inside of my uncles vintage 1975 mercedes 450. Love it.

Last edited:
Aqua Di Gio certainly doesn't smell bad, but it's just so played out.

Avoid Aqua Dio Gio, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male, and Dolce and Gabanna PH and you've already probably differentiated yourself from 40% of the guys out there, those three have been right up at the top selling perfumes for at least the last five years.

If you can find something other than those + anything by Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Calvin Klein, or Davidoff, you're well on your way to finding something really good that won't also be worn by the guy to your right and left.

so i got the samper in from the perfumed court. i now have about 35 different cologne sample vials, and i'm still waitin on the c&s sampler. A little worried....

i digress, everything i've worn so far, i'd wear again. I'm goin slow through them, breaking up my regular use of the armanis, cks nautica ralph laurens etc that are sitting on my bathroom sink...

GFT spanish leather and curzon.
T&H Trfalger.

my brother also got this bottle of MICHAEL by micahel kora, stuff smells fantastic on him, but when it hits my skin all i smell is quick floral and then soap.

Top Bottom