What's new

Help finding a shaving cream for sensitive skin

I started DE shaving about a month ago and at first I used an aloe vera soap from a store called Soap Opera in Madison WI. After about a week I decided to order a tub of TOBS Jermyn St and have been noticing that my neck gets all red around my adams apple. I thought it was just my technique, but when I go back to the aloe vera soap my neck is fine. I love the smell of Jermyn St but if it's irritating my skin I guess I can't use it. Do you guys have any recommendations of what I could use instead? Thanks in advance!

This is the shave soap I was talking about: http://www.thesoapopera.com/cgi-bin/scart.cgi/TSO-HMS-100.php3?scartid=5960871

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I use Biotique Bio Palmyra; There is a many paged thread about it in this forum. It's from India but I bought mine from a NJ stocking dealer on Amazon. Other sources ship from India. I like it; I'm on my second tub.

I recently bought Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream from Rite-Aid for about $4. Very good cream. Scent is understated but pleasant.

I also use Nancy Boy Replenishing Shave Cream (sensitive skin version), which is also good. And, I have use Mystic Water (Sensitive) Unscented Shave Soap, which is also good. Had to order these online.

All of these have what are considered to be skin nourishing components.

Same boat as you, I am allergic to almost everything.

What I recommend and what worked for me, try some of the Lime or Grapefruit creams. I recommend TOBS grapefruit.

Otherwise, a little less expensive is to try "Olay sensitive body wash unscented" as your shaving cream.

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions! I'm going to do some further digging this weekend and research what my best option would be.

Same boat as you, I am allergic to almost everything.

What I recommend and what worked for me, try some of the Lime or Grapefruit creams. I recommend TOBS grapefruit.

Otherwise, a little less expensive is to try "Olay sensitive body wash unscented" as your shaving cream.

Did you have issues with Jermyn St? I love the smell of grapefruit so that might be one I try.

Definitely try the Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream. It's pretty cheap and usually available locally. It has a nice scent and works great for me.

I had issues with Jermyn, I love it, but it did burn me and bumps. You can tell your allergic when you get burning and "rosie" cheeks.

I can still use Jermyn, but I have to shower immediately after.

Also, ANY nivea product I was allergic to as well,except for the small blue tin can of moisturizer for the post shave.

ONe other thing to try which worked for me, is the Aveeno Theraputic sensitive Gel. I don't like gels, but this is the only other one that don't burn me.

I had issues with Jermyn, I love it, but it did burn me and bumps. You can tell your allergic when you get burning and "rosie" cheeks.

I can still use Jermyn, but I have to shower immediately after.

Also, ANY nivea product I was allergic to as well,except for the small blue tin can of moisturizer for the post shave.

ONe other thing to try which worked for me, is the Aveeno Theraputic sensitive Gel. I don't like gels, but this is the only other one that don't burn me.

I actually have used Aveeno Theraputic for the past 3 or 4 years. I never had an issue with it and like the smell of it. I don't think I could go back to gel though.

I'm wondering if I should just order a sampler of shaving creams and see what works. I need to order a sampler of blades anyways.

Nivea sensitive's a good choice.. I have sensitive skin and find any cream with a scent tends to irritate. AOS unscented does give me a mild burn tho.. YMMV..

I have Jermyn St. but get good results.

For the samples, you may want to try Garry's Sample Shop here on B&B. He has samples of TOBS as well as others and blades. And, if you're able to splurge, he sells samples of MdC. It has an unscented version. It is considered by many to be the best soap out there with only a few ingredients. http://sampleshop.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure what the availability of this is but I was recently gifted a tube of Coate's Tea Tree cream. It says on the tube that it's designed for sensitive skin. I don't have sensitive skin myself so I can't vouch for that aspect of it. However, I can say for sure is it's a wonderful product that left my skin feeling the best it has in a while. If you can find some buy it!

You could try Proraso white or blue. The blue seems the easiest on my skin out of the three Proraso creams that I have (green, red, and blue). The blue also has a good scent to it but it isn't overwhelming by any means.

In any case, keep track of what works and what doesn't work with you skin. After awhile, you should be able to figure out which ingredient(s) are the culprit(s).

Baume.be. It was produced by a guy who needed a shaving cream that worked for his very sensitive skin.
Not cheap, but totally worth it.

Last edited:
I use Nivea Sensitive shaving gel everyday. Best product ive found for my skin yet, and ive tried dozens of high end soaps and creams. I also notice if I use one of my brushes my skin gets irritated a heck of a lot worse, so just applying the Nivea right from the can gives me spectacular results. Ive used synthetic brushes and I would say I do better with those, so also keep in mind with sensitive skin sometimes also comes along problems with using real animal hair. We all make it sound like in order to de shave properly, and get great results you need some high end soap or cream and "must" use a brush to apply it, but every time ive tried doing it this way, my skin was worse, and I mean a lot worse. A $3 can of Nivea sensitive has been my savoir so far. Next time your out pick a can of it up. Best thing to keep in mind is do whatever works best for you, and not worry about fitting in, so to speak.

Top Bottom