What's new

Hello and Help!

Hello everyone.

First off, I have been very impressed with the B&B community and the advice that you all offer, and so I decided to join.

And now for my first question...I got a great little shaving kit for my b-day last month: Merkur Futur with brush, bowl, and stand. I also use the Merkur blades. From this site I learned of QED shave soap, and am using Fresh Lime and loving it. The whole process is wonderful...EXCEPT that after two or three days I start to experience pronounced pulling and dragging of the hairs, and my neck is burned no matter how much lather or where I set the adjustment on the razor. I do have a heavy beard, but it seems that 2 or 3 days per blade is absurd. I do take the time to get my beard very wet, and lather it up well.

I cannot believe that the Merkur blades would be so poor since the razor itself seems so top quality. So, I guess I am asking the experts...Is it the blades? If so, what would be my best choice for my heavy beard?

Thanks in advance....

Mark

Hi Mark, welcome.
I have heard this complaint before about Merkur blades. I started off with Merkur's myself and switched to Israeli Personas. Most consider these to be a nice mild blade that will keep an edge on it for some time. They can be found on Ebay, along with Derby's which are also perferred by some. The sharper Feathers and "Swedes" may ultimately prove to be a nice blade for you but I would not recommend them yet. They are less forgiving to one still learning. I'd recommend checking out the Israeli blades.
Cheers,
Jeff

Mark,

you may just be one of those unlucky people (like me) who have very "hard" hair that dulls blades quickly. When you used a cardridge razor (assuming that you are coming from something like a M3, etc) how many shaves could you comfortably get from a cartridge. I now get 2 or 3 shaves per blade before it is too dull to cut withot pulling enough to really hurt (for complete info I have used US Gilettes, Merkurs, US Personna, Wilkinson Sword and Super-Max)... this may seem bad, but it is a little better than when I used cartridges and they would pull after a single shave (but I would make them last for 3 or 4 b/c I hated to spend $3 or more for cartridges for each shave).

Definitely contact LetterK on this board to inquire about the blade sampler kits. It will allow you to try the Israelli Personnas, Derbys, Swedish Gillettes and Feathers. You never know until you try them which will work best for you...

Greetings hairy,
First let me say I'm a noob with this being my third week into wet shaving, but
the EXACT same thing happened to me with the Merkur blades. I would get a great shave for about two days and on the third day I could actually see my skin being pulled as I dragged the razor across it :eek: NOT PLEASANT. It happened on two occassions even after I replaced the blade. I got the sampler from letterk and let me tell you it was a great investment. I'm just making my way through my first Israeli Personna and yesterday I had the greatest shave ever and it was the third time I'd used the blade. I recommend the sampler to find out which blade works for you.

Good Luck

Rod

I've got a question myself related to hairy's. I purchased some derby's and like them quite a bit. The first shave is always ridiculously BBS, but the blades seem to last 3-4 shaves max, the problem I get past 3-4 is not tugging but just bleeding. I'll get little spots on my face that start to bleed, is that the blade? I only get this when it's the 3-4 so I can only assume it's the blade, I sure as hell don't change my prep.

Welcome, I use Derby blades and love them, but I never go past four shaves per blade, and at well under .20 cents per blade, why risk it.
Cheers, DJ.

I must agree. I have found the magic number to be somewhere around 3-4.
Anything past that and I suffer a bit of razor burn or irritation.

Try them all and then pick the one that works best for you.

Tito

Mark,
Welcome to B&B. As you seem to have gathered more good advice that you can shake a stick at, I'll just leave it at Welcome.

Welcome, Mark!(great username BTW)

Follow the advice about the sampler pack (Letterk rules!)

Whenever a blade starts pulling, dragging, leave bleeders, or weepers, change it!- the cost per blade is nothing compared to the aggravation.

And finally,

Resistance is futile- you will be assimilated!

Marty

Thanks to all of you for you thoughts and for the great advice - you guys rock! I have already contacted LetterK re blade samplers.

Mark

Joedy said:
Mark,

Welcome aboard.

I gotta say, though, your screen name keeps cracking me up! :lol:

-joedy

Me, too. However, if he starts posting sappy lyrics, he's outta here!

Randy (I actually always called him Fairy Manilow!)

Top Bottom