What's new

Heckels or ERN?

Hello all,

Looking to pick up another SR and have found a few decent Friodur Henckels 70 1/2 and a couple ERN's. I already have a few Dovo's, Dubl Duck etc. Which would you go for and why? They are all around the $80 price point.

Robert

I have also found a Filarmonica Doble Temple as well. Just trying to expand my collection. Just picked up an AJ Jordan a few minutes ago. Considering my last name is Jordan I figured why not haha.

I have a few of both. All great shavers. Not helping your decision but at least you cant go wrong either way.

Here are photos of each of them.
Screenshot_20200227-153338~2.png
Screenshot_20200227-153519~2.png
Screenshot_20200227-153429~2.png

I was noticing a slight unevenness to all of them but I'm not sure if it is just my eyes playing tricks on me.

With all this being said I am on the hunt for a seriously nice vintage/antique piece that I wouldn't even mind restoring. Other than these what are some great names to search for out there? English, French, German, Swiss etc. Not too much a fan of US made westerns.

In my opinion japanese are the best. Kikuboshi, diamond hyashi or h. Diamond, tanifuji are 3 great brands. I have a gorgeous NOS ERN and have owned 4 of them. They are great razors, but hands down Japanese razors win in my book.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Keep in mind that the Henckles, if it’s a 72V, is a very heavy grind - it’s not the regular hollow ground Henckles. There’s nothing wrong with that, it just helps to know what you’re buying.

In my mind you have three very different razors there. Apples to Oranges to Bananas.

The ERN is a great name and looks in good shape. It would be hard to go wrong if you want a full hollow ground, carbon steel razor.

The Friodur is one of my favorites. It's a heavier grind, as previously noted, and stainless steel (Inox).

The Fili is also a great razor and known for a very hollow grind. This one is a 12 which is a narrower blade (I think) than the others.

All of them are fine razors. So the best answer probably is, "Get them all." Otherwise you have to figure out what you really want in another razor, grind, steel, width, etc.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The ERN is worn at the end, maybe the last 1/4”. No doubt those figure 8 strokes Westen barbers use. The Henckles is more worn, in a straight heel to toe taper like you see Japanese razors worn. The Filarmonica has some wear but is worn evenly. I’d go with the ERN or the Filly based on wear.

I would rather own the Ern as well, even though it would be a little work to restore.
The filly is nice but it is a smaller razor and I like a little larger.

Top Bottom