What's new

Hat of the Day!

Though it's far too warm and humid for a felt hat today, it's also raining (which makes the air feel like tepid oil oozing on your skin). So I brought this one:

View attachment 1267940View attachment 1267941

A few years ago I had Mike Miller of Northwest Hats in Eugene, Oregon, model it on a very cheap but sturdy fedora I found at Meyer the Hatter in the mid-'90s. Though I had better hats, I could never bring myself to dump the "Casablanca," as it was called. This custom was quite inexpensive compared to other customs at the time. It fitted perfectly right out of the box. He included 2 other "belts," one in dark brown and one in black, so I could switch to them if I felt like it.
That's another really good looking hat!

@camjr that's a beauty. I love the detail on the venting.
The airflow is outstanding. The detail of the weave on both the crown and brim is top notch.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I like the flaps! Nice
I have a newer version of this hat, and it is likely my favorite overall. I believe they call it the TW2 now. I thought the ear flaps were gimmicky at first, but they are actually pretty useful. Now, when it is REALLY cold or very windy (or both), the flaps aren't very effective. But in that weather, I'm less concerned about appearance and more concerned with warmth. Thus, a simple beanie/toboggan/whatever you call them is the way to go.

Yesterday was a more than stellar day. I took my grandson to the iconic Meyer the Hatter in Downtown New Orleans to buy his first real hat. Meyer is the oldest family owned and operated hat store in the country and Rafael is the fifth generation of my family to wear a Meyer hat. We bought the hat from the fifth generation of Meyer family to work in the shop. We had the opportunity to visit with Mr. Sam Meyer (now in his mid 90s). Rafael was exited to buy a hat at the same place his great great grandfather did.
Meyer.jpg

Top Bottom