What's new

Haslinger Shafmilch - a bad soap?

There are apparently a variety of formulations of Shafmilch. The one I tried contains: Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (water), Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerine, Lac Powder, Parfum, Shep milk, Arachis Hypogaea (peanut) Oil, Lanolin, Lecithin, Sodium Hydroxide, Alpha-Isomethyl, Ionone, Hydroxyisohexyl 3 Cycolhexene Caroxaldehydehyde

I rated the performance of that formulation as a "C minus" in my den, certainly below average. It is not a soap I enjoy using. It may be that other formulations are better. The original tallow formula had a good reputation.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I’m a seasonal soap guy, so I like a lanolin soap for the cold and dry winter months.
Haslinger Schafmilch is my go to winter soap. I also used to find I couldn’t add enough water to keep it hydrated. I would shave with it in the shower, because it seemed to always dry out on my face during the shave no matter how much water I used when lathering.

I finally figured out, I was loading my brush too long and too heavy with the soap. I finally realized, why Haslinger’s soap pucks are so small.

Because they are so good and perform so well, you don’t need a heavy loaded brush to lather, I personally found for me, there was no amount of water that could over come all of that thick luscious quality soap I was trying to load on my brush and face to keep it from drying out.

I now just simply swirl a synthetic brush just a a few times around on the puck and I mean like only 3-5 circles on top for just a few seconds add some water and it explodes with rich, moist, shiny and hydrated lather with plenty still left in the brush for more passes.

I often hear people saying they will go thru a small puck of Haslinger’s every season because it’s so small. I think to myself, soap is being wasted. :)

I have been on a single small puck of Haslinger’s Schafmilch now, going on 3 winters and it’s still a half a puck left.

So if you are adding more water already? Try now to cut back on loading the brush too heavy with soap before you lather. It works for me and Haslinger’s is awesome stuff.

I'll try that, it makes sense! Thank you.

Btw, this is the aloe vera one from the shop here, they were kind enough to send me a pic. The only difference I see from the one before is at the very last line, one says "tetrasodium glutamate diacetate" and the one here is "tetrasodium EDTA" and also has "tetrasodium etidronate". Beats me, I'll have to do some research, but my guess is that they're pretty much the same.

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_133059.jpg
    IMG_20220727_133059.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 15
I'll try that, it makes sense! Thank you.

Btw, this is the aloe vera one from the shop here, they were kind enough to send me a pic. The only difference I see from the one before is at the very last line, one says "tetrasodium glutamate diacetate" and the one here is "tetrasodium EDTA" and also has "tetrasodium etidronate". Beats me, I'll have to do some research, but my guess is that they're pretty much the same.
This one has the sodium Cocoate and the Potasium Cocoate. Its V2. It should be a top tier soap.

I’m a seasonal soap guy, so I like a lanolin soap for the cold and dry winter months.
Haslinger Schafmilch is my go to winter soap. I also used to find I couldn’t add enough water to keep it hydrated. I would shave with it in the shower, because it seemed to always dry out on my face during the shave no matter how much water I used when lathering.

I finally figured out, I was loading my brush too long and too heavy with the soap. I finally realized, why Haslinger’s soap pucks are so small.

Because they are so good and perform so well, you don’t need a heavy loaded brush to lather, I personally found for me, there was no amount of water that could over come all of that thick luscious quality soap I was trying to load on my brush and face to keep it from drying out.

I now just simply swirl a synthetic brush just a a few times around on the puck and I mean like only 3-5 circles on top for just a few seconds add some water and it explodes with rich, moist, shiny and hydrated lather with plenty still left in the brush for more passes.

I often hear people saying they will go thru a small puck of Haslinger’s every season because it’s so small. I think to myself, soap is being wasted. :)

I have been on a single small puck of Haslinger’s Schafmilch now, going on 3 winters and it’s still a half a puck left.

So if you are adding more water already? Try now to cut back on loading the brush too heavy with soap before you lather. It works for me and Haslinger’s is awesome stuff.
This.

I’ve been using Haslinger for quite some time and have 3017 the various versions. Haslinger seems to be a condensed soap. Less is needed than even MdC to get a high quality lather. It always surprises me how much water this soap can handle, but if you start out with too much product you can end up with a lather that’s so dense it’s difficult to shave with.

Marco - How do you tell if a Haslinger soap is non-tallow v2?
That's already answered above -- just compare the ingredients with the ingredients shown in the photo from this link:

After shaving with the V2 a few times I have come to the conclusion that this is a mid-tier soap...and I'm even being generous. The problem with it is the residual slickness, or lack thereof, the razor was jumping on my skin, can't explain it..my skin felt too clean, especially bad for buffing. Very disappointed with German soaps, Tremonia was not any better. It lacks some kind of oil or something... I don't know. But hey, YMMV I guess.

Anyway, to this date the best non-tallow soap remains the CK6, tallow would be A&E kaizen. Oh and this may annoy a few traditionalists, since it doesn't involve lathering -- but pinaud shaving cream is an amazing alternative to everything.

p.s. those aren't perfect either, PAA are extremely overpriced (and he's even going to raise the prices more) and A&E tends to put too much scent in most of his soaps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom