What's new

Happy 4th Of July 2023!

Well some people don't ever get holidays off as a rule, the are the people who's jobs require manning 24 x 7 x 366 duty. USN Boats, Ships, and Submarine are good example. They seldom shut down, even when port they have active crew on board working.

Fire, EMS, Police, and Hospital Workers don't work in field that shut down. So if you got day off, or day off with pay your luckier then many.

Enjoy day off, as some young person who could still be teenager, doing something to keep our country safe & free working long hours, for short pay, and most don't complain. Its what they do everyday, and most people do not appreciate it.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For those of us blessed with bounty and time off, good news! You do not have to buy presents or dress up. You do not have to beat yourself up taking the family to be with relatives. You have license to eat unhealthy foods as much as you like and, within reason, drink beer or whiskey. The potato salad, beans, and cobbler are made. The meats are in the smoker. The dog is a gun dg and is not bothered by fireworks. I had a great shave.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Happy Independence Day to all Americans!
Whether you be American by birth, American by choice, or American in spirit, I'll share these words that summarize the feelings of the day, attributed to an American Patriot of the time, Patrick Henry, who had much to lose by his choice.

“Gentlemen may cry, ‘Peace, Peace,’ but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well some people don't ever get holidays off as a rule, the are the people who's jobs require manning 24 x 7 x 366 duty. USN Boats, Ships, and Submarine are good example. They seldom shut down, even when port they have active crew on board working.

Fire, EMS, Police, and Hospital Workers don't work in field that shut down. So if you got day off, or day off with pay your luckier then many.

Enjoy day off, as some young person who could still be teenager, doing something to keep our country safe & free working long hours, for short pay, and most don't complain. Its what they do everyday, and most people do not appreciate it.
Yes, I considered it an honor to werk on the days no one else did... Nurses are needed 24/7....

During Covid I had just been forced into disability retirement. I hated "sitting on the sidelines" but was thrilled at seeing my colleagues still in the trenches getting the respect they never did before, in pay or in treatment.....oh, I believe nurses are still the most respected professionals in all the polls, and my patients and their families ALWAYS showed me love and respect.

But for awhile there, nurses were getting discounts on orders at businesses, etc....I never took advantage of any; shame on me, lol!

But those single parents, teenaged aides, the nurses werkin' a double, mandated, for the second night in a row.... NOW those discounts seem to have disappeared, while the first responders, retired military, etc, are still getting theirs.

Lol, I'm not bitter, but I am amazed really that businesses have so quickly forgotten the daily sacrifices by the folks who serve so nobly while their own kids watch Mom or Dad rush out the door to take care of someone they may have not yet met.

Lol! But I'm not nearly as bitter as that sounded! I'd do it all over again in a hot minute, because retirement sucks!

Having taught for over a decade before switching careers, I heard this refrain all too often! If Thomas Jefferson was a typical student today, no doubt the language used wouldn't be as poetic.

jefferson 2023.jpg

It would be eight more years until the colonies were truly independent.

Top Bottom