What's new

Guess that book quote

oh! silly me.
Mort d'Arthur

(I was thinking Mallory wrote Once and Future, and your clue would have put me back to the time of Geoffrey. I double-goofed.)

One for everybody . . .
"You don't know about me without you have read a book called "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," but that ain't no matter."

"The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way towards the lagoon."

Yikes! I wasn't paying attention. Of course I knew the Huckleberry Finn quote.

A wild guess on the "fair hair" quote: Lord of the Flies.

Two translations ...

War is a vital matter of state, It is the field on which life or death is determined and and the road that leads to either survival or ruin, and must be examined with the greatest care.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the way to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed.

Here we go. Same theme, different century. Here are some opening lines:

"All this happened, more or less. The war parts, anyway, are pretty much true. One guy I knew really was shot in Dresden for taking a teapot that wasn't his."

"His name was Gaal Dornick and he was just a country boy who had never seen Trantor before. "

Ok, this is from the first or second page, depending on the edition:
'His hair was very fair, his face naturally sanguine, his skin toughened by coarse soap and dull razor blades and the cold of the winter that had just ended.'

Top Bottom