What's new

Grooming Department "Fresh" shave soap

I noticed that one of GD's new Mallard base releases is called "Fresh". If any of you have tried this, I would appreciate hearing your impression and description of the scent of this soap. Also, how does the Mallard base compare to the Kairos SE base. I have a soap in Kairos SE, but have never tried the Mallard base. Thank-you

I didn't get Fresh, but Soap is a stunner. It's a fresh and clean lightweight scent but its still super interesting. The main scent i get lathering is orris butter- reminds me of the scent of light brown suede; maybe a light colored leather and sometimes sheets that are hanging outside- it's not strong. Then the iris comes alive while you're lathering and towards the finish- it is delightful and reminds me of a gentle breeze coming off a cottage garden. While the scent strength is on the low side i can already tell that i'll be looking to use this on the regular. Super clean and natural scent but not even close to being boring. As per the usual, the scent off the puck is deceiving and that may be the only thing that correlates the scent with its purple labeling- if you get it you'll have to lather it to find out what its all about. The scents Mo comes up with are stellar.

The soap is way softer than the prior mallards- use caution if you're loading from the tub and go easy. I usually need a few lathers to form an opinion on its performance, but it's pretty close to the last mallards- so far as i can tell; and those were my #2 best base just below Kairos SE. My jar was also filled nearly to the top- so again, Mo is overfilling the jars. I would venture to guess it's over 7 oz of product but haven't weighed the tub.

If i had to blindly pick another scent from this drop it would definitely be Visage.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I didn't get Fresh, but Soap is a stunner. It's a fresh and clean lightweight scent but its still super interesting. The main scent i get lathering is orris butter- reminds me of the scent of light brown suede; maybe a light colored leather and sometimes sheets that are hanging outside- it's not strong. Then the iris comes alive while you're lathering and towards the finish- it is delightful and reminds me of a gentle breeze coming off a cottage garden. While the scent strength is on the low side i can already tell that i'll be looking to use this on the regular. Super clean and natural scent but not even close to being boring. As per the usual, the scent off the puck is deceiving and that may be the only thing that correlates the scent with its purple labeling- if you get it you'll have to lather it to find out what its all about. The scents Mo comes up with are stellar.

The soap is way softer than the prior mallards- use caution if you're loading from the tub and go easy. I usually need a few lathers to form an opinion on its performance, but it's pretty close to the last mallards- so far as i can tell; and those were my #2 best base just below Kairos SE. My jar was also filled nearly to the top- so again, Mo is overfilling the jars. I would venture to guess it's over 7 oz of product but haven't weighed the tub.

If i had to blindly pick another scent from this drop it would definitely be Visage.
Awesome review. Sounds like a winner!

The orris in Soap is really wonderful along the lines of Joserra’s Orris Root. Then the Iris shines. Soap is one of Mohammad’s finest for me.

Fresh is just that. Breezy with the white floral accords perfect for summer. Both these calm, simple scents really shine.

The present Duck Fat base equals the wonderful Kairos SE in my use. Slickness and post shave are not to be missed.

IMG_2392.jpeg
IMG_2391.jpeg

The orris in Soap is really wonderful along the lines of Joserra’s Orris Root. Then the Iris shines. Soap is one of Mohammad’s finest for me.

Fresh is just that. Breezy with the white floral accords perfect for summer. Both these calm, simple scents really shine.

The present Duck Fat base equals the wonderful Kairos SE in my use. Slickness and post shave are not to be missed.

View attachment 1672239View attachment 1672240

Soap is the one I was keeping my eye on from this release, glad to hear that you guys like it… might be time to pull the trigger on a set.

Soap is the one I was keeping my eye on from this release, glad to hear that you guys like it… might be time to pull the trigger on a set.
Is the scent of the Mallard base "Soap" the same or similar to the Kairos base "Soap" scent that was available in 2022?

Is the scent of the Mallard base "Soap" the same or similar to the Kairos base "Soap" scent that was available in 2022?
Imho, no two different scents. Mo's Red iteration, from 2022 was a Rose / Citrus scent. I have a couple of tubs of this one and it's quite a rose forward scent.

Imho, no two different scents. Mo's Red iteration, from 2022 was a Rose / Citrus scent. I have a couple of tubs of this one and it's quite a rose forward scent.
I had the 2022 version and stupidly traded it. I was missing it even while I was packing it for shipping. I loved the 2022 version, it's a beautiful soapy scent. I need to reacquire that one some how. 2023 version is completely different in scent and in color. 2023 version is a dark tan color and the 2022 version is a creamy white. I have only palm lathered it so far and I couldn't figure out what it smells like, but I love it too. I'm using this in the morning and really looking to forward to it.

I had the 2022 version and stupidly traded it. I was missing it even while I was packing it for shipping. I loved the 2022 version, it's a beautiful soapy scent. I need to reacquire that one some how. 2023 version is completely different in scent and in color. 2023 version is a dark tan color and the 2022 version is a creamy white. I have only palm lathered it so far and I couldn't figure out what it smells like, but I love it too. I'm using this in the morning and really looking to forward to it.

Someone on Instagram posted that Fresh is fresh :)

Just got my first tub of Soap. Not like any other soap I have. Two shaves in and I'm still figuring out the best way to load. With soft soaps I usually scoop some into my dish and mash it down. But I use a shallow dish with flat bottom that has ridges and the soap breaks into little clumps that ride the edge of the bowl making it hard to tell if it's all been used. I might try loading from the tub next. Great lather though. I was going to buy another, maybe Fresh but it's all sold out.

Received my tub of Visage yesterday and shaved today. I tried loading from the tub and it worked much better. Excellent lather and shave. I'm sold on the two I have.

Received my tub of Visage yesterday and shaved today. I tried loading from the tub and it worked much better. Excellent lather and shave. I'm sold on the two I have.

What can you tell me about the Visage fragrance? I've heard there might be a chance it will be available at an Italian vendor in the near future. That's the one I find most interesting from this release.

The website describes the scent as woodsy. Personally I don’t know what that means. Seems like a floral scent in the tub but lather seems to trend towards barber shop. But that just me. Scents are very personal and subjective.

Top Bottom