What's new

Greater Pacific Norhtwest meet-up *Saturday, Sept 13th @11am Seattle, WA*

Man, I am suuuuuper bummed out I cant come today! How it works out that Ill be finished up around 6 is beyond me. But, with 3 kids sometimes we got to prioritize. Have fun guys! Matt, Im going to PM you, for the long shot that when Im done you guys are still hanging out. You guys have fun! Did I mention that I am bummed out I cant meet you fine gents? If theres any way I can make it earlier, you bet your bottom dollar I will.

Just got back home from the meet. I can say it was a success! Had 19 people show up and everyone got some loot! I am having some cold pizza, some colder beer and calling it a night soon. I will post some pics tomorrow. I didn't get the amount of pics I wanted because I was to busy talking with people!

My thanks to Matt and everyone else - that was a lot of fun! I am very much obliged to the wonderful couple (I'm blanking on their names) who brought their daughter so mine had someone to play with for almost 3 hours.

To top it all off - I forgot that I had paid for 2 hours for street parking (the maximum) and didn't go back. On the way to the car I thought about this and thought that I would have a ticket. To my surprise - no ticket! Wahoo!

Well I have to say this was a successful meet. Even with a few last minute cancellations, we had a total of 19 people show up. It was great to see old friends, put faces to forums monikers, and meet a lot of new people as well. I was very pleased to see 4 women show up as well. With the exception of Wanda they all accompanied their friends or significant others for the sake of their male counterparts. However, a few of them were very interested and asked some great questions. I even gave away a Gillette Slim and some blades to a young woman who seemed fascinated with it (and she listened to me drone on and had a nice smile. :)

The meet ended up being a little lopsided toward the straight razor side of the hobby, but I had the opportunity to trade for an Aristocrat, brought a bunch of Super Speeds, F.B.s, and Slims to show people the differences, and I heard but did not have the chance to see, that someone brought a Toggle.

As far as the straight razor part, it was wonderful! There must have been 25 to 30 hones available to look at, touch, smell, and get a chance to try. I want to thank Garret (deighaingeal), Glen (Gssixgun), and Mariusz (Proximus26) for all of their help in showing people the how and the why of honing. Each person has a distinct method and it was great to see the different paths to the same goal.

One special thanks to Glen. Not only is he willing to show and teach but he is GOOD at it and enjoys doing it. It really shows in the presentation and is highly appreciated. If you are interested in straights and get a chance to talk with Glen, don’t pass it up.

Before I end up hitting everyone with a giant wall of text I wanted to say thank you to our Canadian brethren who made it down. Ryan (Lexthedestroyer) and his lovely wife and Wayne (Rocketman). Not only did you have a heck of a travel day, but you got to explain all of the sharp objects to the border patrolmen :(

BTW, Cy (SkyBlazer) good job on bringing 3 people along. Way to spread the word!

$DSC01213.jpg$DSC01214.jpg

A big thanks to the vendors who donated to the cause! It really goes to show what a great community this is when6 vendors give a bunch of stuff to some guy they have never heard of saying he is hosting a meet-up. Great people, great products! I would not hesitate to suggest them to anyone.

$DSC01216.jpg$DSC01217.jpg$DSC01218.jpg

$group shot.jpg

*NOTE* This picture was after J. Mercer and Murray (CMUR12) had left. Need to be quicker with the camera! I am doctoring up a copy of this pic with names and will be up soon(ish).

Last edited:
Enjoy the Aristocrat! Considering that a Slim is one of my top 2 razors, I'm looking forward to the birth year (almost birth quarter) Super Adjustable. And the Straight Razor Designs soap (blood orange smells wonderful). Along with a few samples . . .

I have never seen a straight razor hones and sharpened before. I have also never seen someone demonstrate anything involving sharp objects with that many repetitions of "Don't do this" . . . :laugh:

I was wonderig if anyone who attended the meet had a favorite item from the goodies they brought home. I had not gotten around to trying any of the Bay Rum scents prior to the meet. However, I must say that I really liked the Ogallala Bay Rum and the Captains Choice aftershaves. I'm putting them on my shortlist for Christmas this year. I was also very taken with the Blood Orange scent from the SRD soap and LA Shaving Soap "Fougre" scent. Good stuff!

The LA shaving soap sample of lavender eucalyptus peppermint was excellent (latherability, protection, feel). The Barrister & Mann samples were/are excellent as well.

aspirin54, I will put yor name down so as to make sure and contact you for the next one.

Will do eperdu! I am not planning on putting together a big meet until next Sept, but maybe we can put the word out for a brunch meet up? Could still help out some of the newer folks and show people our newest scores :)

Top Bottom