What's new

Great Great Grandfathers Straight

My dad gave me my Great Great Grandfathers razor. It's nothing much to look at, just another straight, so I won't be posting pictures until I get it all cleaned up and sparkling. What I am interested in, is has anybody heard of this company?

E.Hobson 18 Snig Hill Sheffield I did find the following information on it.

[FONT=&quot]1825 Edward Hobson - 'razor manufacturer and dealer in all kinds of hardware' at 18 Snig Hill[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1828/9 Edward Hobson - 'hardwaremen and razor manufacturers' at 18 Snig Hill[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1833 Edward Hobson - 'cutlery manufacturer and hardware dealer' at 18 Snig Hill
and somewhere between 1833 and 1841 it moved[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1841 Edward Hobson - 'wholesale dealer. in Sheffield goods' at 67 Snig Hill[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
I'm up to 1000 grit sandpaper on the blade now and will be going to 2000 next then polishing compounds after. The scales appear to be horn and are quite warped but the blade closes and doesn't hit until just about the shoulder. It is a square with a very, very slight smile, the tip on the shaving edge is also slightly rounded, like the point was intentionally removed. I think it is a 5/8 and between a 1/2 hollow and hollow.

I don't know if the scales are original or not, and they aren't in all that great of shape. I would like to shave with it and will have it professionally honed.

With all that said, should I keep the original scales or have them replaced? I will never sell this and it will continue to be an heirloom piece. I'm conflicted with the thought of changing something that has possibly lasted 175+ years virtually unchanged or with replacing the scales and having something that will last another 175+. At first, before doing thorough research, and while I was thinking this was more modern, I thought I would go with carbon fiber, but I've come to my senses and will go with black horn (what I think the original is) if I do change the scales.[/FONT]

I'm no straight razor expert, but I say if it's all tight enough and the blade closes without the edge rubbing against the scales, leave it as is. Too much history there to mess with!

I have my great-grandfather's straight that I would like to get cleaned up and honed for use. I use my Grandpa's injector regularly.

Congrats on the razor. I would send it to Doc226. He'll let you know if the scales can be saved. If not, he can make a nearly identical set for you, hone it to perfection, and return it to you ready to enjoy.

I recently was given a straight razor that belonged to my Great Grandfather and was possibly his fathers. My Great Grandfather was born July 29 1898. My Great Great Grandfather was born 18 Aug 1855. The razor is stamped E. Hobson Snig Hill Sheffield what I have been able to find is that E.Hobson was open from as early as 1825 to 1852. So I am beginning to wonder if this might have been my Great Great Great Grandfathers Straight. Since my Great Great Grandfather was born 3 years after the last record I could find.

Of the 3 razors in the group photo it is the one on the bottom

If the scales aren't obstructing the bade in any way, or going to cause it damage, I would say keep them as is just for the sentimental fact of the matter.

If you aren't that sentimental about them, or they are truly bad, then I agree with the above post and send it to Doc.

Either way, congrats on a very nice piece of family history! :thumbup:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I started with my Grandpas razor over 40 yrs ago and used it for more than 35 yrs. Just hone and go. Closing it to avoid the slight warp in the scales became second nature and I did it without even thinking about it. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I started with my Grandpas razor over 40 yrs ago and used it for more than 35 yrs. Just hone and go. Closing it to avoid the slight warp in the scales became second nature and I did it without even thinking about it. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it.

+1. There are many other razors out there to restore.

Nice razor, congratulations!
I wouldn't restore it, just hone and use it.
For me, the patina is what makes it special, like a link to your great fathers.
I shiny razor with new scales... nice, but just another restored razor.

Top Bottom