What's new

Great-Grandpa's Straights

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My Dad surprised me at Thanksgiving by bringing his grandfather's two straight razors. I'm fairly new to the straight game and wanted to ask some advice. What do I have? See any major issues? And who do you recommend to send these to to be put into service?

Here's the first one:

Came in a W&B coffin case, but it's not a W&B
proxy.php

It's a Henry Sears & Sons marked 1865. Blade appears to be in decent shape--plenty of patina, but I don't see any rust. Scales appear to be in nice shape as well and I like the covered tang:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hirsute

Razor number two came in a Durham Duplex case, but it's not that.

proxy.php

It's fairly short and small (3/8 or 4/8), and is marked "The Real", and "Cattaragaus Cuttlery" "Little Valley, NY", "Patent no 730360". It has tortoiseshell scales (acrylic or bakelight?) and what appears to be a bone or ivory wedge. Some rust in the pivot, but otherwise appears sound.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Lovely razors, I have a family heirloom straight razor as well. They both look like they should be great shavers! Condition looks pretty good on both, I'd take a look in the vendor section for honemeisters. You will need a leather razor strop to keep your edge keen, but other than that you should be good to go after you get them honed.

Great razors! I really like the Cattaragus razor. I think the Sears razor has some replacement scales. I'm pretty sure both can be returned to service pretty quickly; they were well maintained way back when.

Very cool! That last wedge looks huge! I don't think that I have ever seen one that wide. You should be able to get those honed and shave with them. You could always try cleaning them up on your own some. It's actually kind of fun.

Hirsute

Very cool! That last wedge looks huge! I don't think that I have ever seen one that wide. You should be able to get those honed and shave with them. You could always try cleaning them up on your own some. It's actually kind of fun.

It is huge! Those scales are set very wide, which is kind of odd since the blade is so small.

Hirsute

Thanks gents! I really appreciate the feedback.

A similar thing happen to me; I received my great grandfathers straight razor. It is a Ewald Busch Elbefeld razor. I have interest in learning how to shave with it. Will try to post photos in the near future.

You are quite lucky, asked around my family about heirloom razors and everyone said why would anyone want those, they threw them away years ago when safety razors and disposables came about.

Hirsute

Thanks! Yep, sending them off to be restored and put back into service.

Top Bottom