What's new

Grandfather's Razors

I've been trying for about a year now to get my hands on my grandfather and great grandfather's straights and I finally got them this past Sunday. I'm most likely going to get them restored and use them. I got a Dubl Duck Goldedge, a Henckels platinum 401, and a GW Putnam & Co. I found some info of the Dubl Duck and the Henckles but have not been able to find anything on the GW Putnam. The only markings I see are GW Putnam & Co on one side and a partially worn Germany on the other. Any info anyone could give on any of these would be appreciated especially the GW Putnam. Is there a way to tell when these were made?

Thanks!! $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445999067.593665.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445999078.733342.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445999087.054678.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445999098.259899.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445999107.748169.jpg

Don't have info on the Putnam, but they look great. Maybe they have a frown but noting a good rework wont fix... Congrats

Interesting advertisement. I'm glad there is some info out their. I know it's old because that one is my Great Grandfather's. I'll just have to keep digging.

I sent off the Dubl Duck yesterday to George Karabatsos and then he is going to send it to whipped dog for honing. I will post pics when I get it back.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Re the Putnam... a lot of hardware stores and department stores back in the day would have house brand razors made in Germany, with their own imprint stamped or etched on blade or tang. I suspect that is what you got. Google for the name, as the name of a retailer in the U.S. and you will get the trail started.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448673294.546955.jpg

Well I got my Dubl Duck back from being restored and honed and I looks great. I can't say enough about the great job George Karabatsos did on this razor. Great guy too. I had Larry at Whipped Dog hone it and it is popping hairs on the tree top test. I look forward to giving it a go tonight or tomorrow.

Top Bottom