What's new

Grandfather's Gillette

Thanks for the reply. I really would not insist at all. I’d be happier to get the ones I have to work for me.

It has me puzzled. The only thing I can think is I’m getting more discerning on the results and at the beginning it was just nice to have the beard off.

I’ll keep rotating them for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Welcome aboard! Everyone has their own facial hair structure that varies individually in their own uniqueness with regards to what is a more suitable razor. I can shave with any razor as long as there’s a decent blade in it, just depends on based on mood, the time I have, and my desire of the shave I’m looking for. You’ve got members here who like their razors mild, wild, and in between. Just don’t get caught in the rabbit hole and enjoy your time here and with shaving. The Gillette adjustables are really nice and built to last being made in brass. The one you got is in great shape.

Thank you for the welcome! Maybe I’ll take it as a sign to use it and enjoy it but take good care.

I do not want to go down a rabbit hole I’ve been there and done that in some other hobbies.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Rabbit Hole Omg GIF by Tubi

I do not want to go down a rabbit hole I’ve been there and done that in some other hobbies.
Here at B&B you don't "go down" a rabbit hole, you get thrown down the hole.

I use a lot of settings on my Gillette adjustables --Polsivers are 7 or 8, otherwise they pull and leave stubble. Lord Big Ben blades require a 3 or 4 stetting or they peel my face. Lord Rainbow requires a setting of 6.

This is the joy of adjustable razors, they can be set to give you the blade gap and exposure to suit any particular blade or face, or at least 95% of them.

Blades vary a little in width between brands, and without the ability to set the razor to suit your face, you have to find a blade that matches the "setting" of a fixed razor. A lot more hassle, and some blades just won't work for you.

Enjoy the journey!

Thank you for the thoughts. That makes sense. Especially the blade width aspect. Appreciate the feedback!

I am enjoying it. I know I can always try again tomorrow. 😂

lol, I really recommend learning to enjoy shaving. I've been doing it almost daily for something like 53 years, with plenty more ahead of me -- everyone in my family that doesn't get cancer lives to be almost 100. Might as well make a hobby out of it, you are going to be shaving almost daily for a long, long time!

Finding things like this are great. The adjustables are well loved but I never thought they shaved as well as the regular Super Speeds/Red Tip/Tech. My favorite Gillette is the Red Tip and I bet you’d really like that one. The Tech is fairly similar to your AS-D2 but may still be worth a try since they are cheap.

I went down the razor hole and am still stuck at the bottom of the hole looking for the best razor for me. At the moment it’s the GameChanger .84p after trying 30-40 razors but there’s plenty of top razors I haven’t tried yet that could dethrone it.

If you do decide to purchase another razor I highly recommend the RazoRock GameChanger in .84p. I think it’s aggression level would be about perfect for you. You may even find you like more aggressive razors but the GC is a very smooth shaver and is very high quality for the price of $55-60 and made of solid Stainless Steel. My preference is with the BarberPole handle but everyone has their favorite handle. I use their handles on all of my razors.

You should also grab a couple different razor blades to try out. I found the Feathers decent but very rough feeling on my face compared to most other blades. My top 2 recommendations are Gillette Nacet, and Gillette Silver Blue. The Nacet is sharper but the GSB is extremely smooth and still plenty sharp. It’s also worth testing out the Russian Astra SP, Gillette Perma-Sharp, Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge, Wizamet, Personna Comfort Coated/Lab Blues… just to name a few. If you want to keep it simple for now grab the Nacet & GSB while they’re still available.

Good luck with your adventure.

The Slim is a great razor, bought mine in '61 I think. It is a G. Pretty sure I paid $1.98 for it, Bin using it ever since. I keep mine at the 7 setting never changing it, prefer a more aggressive razor. I did start out on the lower settings and gradually settled on 7.

Thank you for the replies!

Fred,

Trying to make this enjoyable is what I am shooting for! Somewhere along the lines my career and life got so demanding I skipped shaving. Now I’m enjoying getting back taking better care of everything. Keeping shoes polished and face shaved etc.

Hopefully you live to 100 and some!

WVSHAVER,

Thank you for the suggestions! I appreciate having ideas to look into.

I have been looking into blades too. I was seeing the KAI can help in the AS-D2 because it’s wider. I’ve also read a lot on here about the GSB and have been thinking of getting a few to try. I had a few hundred feathers left from a decade ago so I’m working through them at the moment but I’ll try some others in the future and thanks for the suggestion.

Tallships,

Thank you for the encouragement! Maybe I already found the right razor and need to tweak my blade choice and technique.

I’m sure my technique is able to improve substantially.

Hope you all enjoy the day!

Awesome score! Not many of us are lucky enough to have any heirloom shaving gear. My grandfather had 2 slims, one at the main house and one at the Summer vacation cottage, so my brother and I both got one.

With the slim and my fatboy I do the first pass on 9, second on 6, and last on 3.

Awesome to hear you guys got lucky too! It is something that could not be replicated by a purchase!

Also, thank you for the technique. As I go I’ll see if any changes of aggression on the different passes can help at all. Good idea to try thank you!

The Slim is a great daily driver. Using it won’t hurt; it was made to be used. It will last longer than you.

I have a 1966 in my regular rotation. I shave it at setting “9” with Lord family blades. Don’t be afraid to crank it up.

I got super extra lucky... in the same box with the 2 slims was also his superspeed from like 1949, PLUS a straight razor from my great grandfather, and another straight from my great uncle. Both straights had good condition blades, so I had them re-scaled, blades polished, and all honed up.

Glad to hear I don’t have to be afraid to use it!

Wish I found some straight razors too! I have not gotten into that part of the hobby yet.

Quaznoid,

Interestingly early this morning I had least amount of time to shave so far in these testing trials and I set the slim to 9.

I had the best shave so far.

No irritation and not much skill to get a close shave. It actually felt how I feel a razor should be. Feel the blade and don’t have to use pressure to get a good shave.

Thanks all! I’ll be using the slim.

Top Bottom