What's new

Grandfather's Gillette

IMG_1653.jpeg

Hello,

I was in my basement this morning looking for something to use as a shave soap bowl and I found the razor shown.

I bought my grandparents home about a decade ago but I’ve never gone through the contents they left.

Can anyone help me out with the story of this razor? It looks new to me and works perfectly.

Thank you!

Kevin

Not an expert but it's a Slim Adjustable - there is a date code on the bottom of the head of the Razor.
The blade shown is a J1 date code which is the first quarter of 1964.
It looks to be in excellent condition. Razor Emporium on YouTube has videos on the history of Gillette Razors and you can find the one on Slim Adjustables.
It's a fine razor and you should consider shaving with it.

Wow and awesome! How did you know the date code? Sure enough I just checked and it has a J 1.

Thank you guys it really made my day finding it. I’d been reading on the forum here for a few months researching razors and etc.

Glad to join the community!

I will definitely shave with it. Nothing could be cooler than using a family heirloom 😎

I shaved with one just like that this morning. Excellent razor! There are some very expensive and fancy razors available these days but I'm not sure anything beats a Slim Adjustable. I could be happy for the rest of my life with that as my only razor.

If both are J1 date codes it’s likely he used it, didn’t like it and hid it in the basement (Maybe he had a Fatboy or superspeed he preferred and someone got that as a gift for him?)

Definitely cool. Those are the razors I like as they usually clean up amazingly well. I’ve picked up a few like that. (Plastic polish for the case and Eagle One’s old version of Nevr Dull does a lot for me)

Thank you! I did shave with it this morning! What a special feeling I got using my grandfathers old razor!

I used a feather blade because that’s all I have and I’m planning to see what setting works best.

The blade that was in the razor also had the J1 date code and looked like it was never wet with no signs of marks or residue.

Something about finding a 1964 razor that looks brand new is really a cool experience. Seeing as I’m a knife collector that has my user knives and my mint knives it was like using one of my mint ones but I got over that quickly 😎

Thanks all!

4A5F5D3C-54E9-429C-A17A-CCA8E8A1009F.jpeg

Alright gents. A little background before I ask for some insights.

I used to have a double edge razor about ten years ago. I don’t remember the brand but it was all stainless and looked a lot like the AS-D2. I really liked the razor. I ended up growing a beard and not using it for about a decade.

This past Easter I shaved my face for the first time in years. I decided I’m going clean cut again.

I searched and searched for my razor and never found it.

So I ordered a 34c to hold me over. Then I found the Gillette Slim while I was waiting to receive an As-D2.

The first couple shaves I wasn’t in awe of the AS-D2 but I researched and kept trying. All I can say is I believe I’m finding the angle but I can go over and over my whiskers and they aren’t completely cut down smooth.

It seemed each shave got worse and I was even loading a brand new feather blade each shave.

So, I almost ordered a polished TI blackbird, but instead, I decided to try the slim adjustable again.

Here’s where it gets strange.

On 3 and 4 it was giving me a rougher feeling shave and some burn (I could have been pushing to hard trying to get it to cut). Not completely removing whiskers. I clicked to 5 and tried. Closer but felt the same smoothness. Then I clicked to 6 and it felt substantially smoother and cut much closer. I finished my shave.

So my questions for the experienced:

1: What is going on with the Slim feeling smoother as I went to 6?

2: Once I settle on my preferred setting can anyone recommend a fixed razor I can order for daily shaves that will be comparable? I could use the old Gillette daily but I’m not sure I want to dedicate it for that or keep it nice for sentimental shaves.

3: The AS-D2 and 34C gave me a good shave the first couple times but after using daily for a couple weeks they both feel too mild. What could be going on here?

Thank you for any and all insights!

Kevin

Last edited:
1: What is going on with the Slim feeling smoother as I went to 6?
Probably because the other settings are too mild for you. When it cuts efficiently you feel that smoothness.

2: Once I settle on my preferred setting can anyone recommend a fixed razor I can order for daily shaves that will be comparable? I could use the old Gillette daily but I’m not sure I want to dedicate it for that or keep it nice for sentimental shaves.
That’s a tough one because razors, like blades, are not one fits all.

I would say you have a nice trio already. I would practice with all 3 and try to master the technique.

But if you’d insist on a new one, I’d take a look at the 6S or merkur progress. Those can give you adjustability and that’s a plus.

3: The AS-D2 and 34C gave me a good shave the first couple times but after using daily for a couple weeks they both feel too mild. What could be going on here?

That’s why I said practice with the ones you already have.

Your beard didn’t change in 2 weeks, how can it no longer give you a good shave?

Focus on your technique first, then you can blame the tools.

Keep us updated.

Top Bottom